<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Shock/Horror

July 8 2017 at 9:27 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

..... sell out crowds at T20 matches, 10000 last night at Headingley, full houses at most grounds.

Not what the ECB want, as according to them, the T20 is a dying competition, with reducing crowds and they HAVE to bring the city based competition into town.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Shock/Horror

July 8 2017, 9:44 AM 

Place for both. Lastnight showed it's the format people actually want to go and watch.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 8 2017, 10:43 AM 

They think they can get more people and of a different demographic, especially tv viewers. Its not just the ecb, by and large the counties are on board with it.

(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 8 2017, 10:47 AM 

The counties were initially against it, until they were bribed with 1.3m a year by the ECB. Do you really think that Counties like Northants, who will not get a franchise despite winning the T20 last year, would have voted themselves out of existence without the 1.3M bribe?

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 8 2017, 10:49 AM 

Bribed, not really is it? There's nothing illegal about it.

Do this job.
No.
Do it and I'll give you 500 quid.
Okay.

Is that a bribe?

Perhaps there shouldn't have been any payment at all. Bet they'd be pleased as punch about that!

This message has been edited by sooty-yorkie1 on Jul 8, 2017 10:50 AM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 8 2017, 11:12 AM 

I know it is not illegal. Shall we call it an "incentive" to agree, which no county is going to turn down. I doubt if any would have signed up without the "incentive".

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

July 8 2017, 11:23 AM 

.... and a pretty puny incentive, as well.
About the same money for each county as Stokes got for six weeks work in India.

No need at all to invent another competition, when the one we have works well and involves all the counties.

I support all those contributors who see the new competition as an existential long-term threat to the integrity of the County structure.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 8 2017, 11:30 AM 

Of course they wouldn't have signed up because it wouldn't be in their financial interest, with the payments it now is.

This happens in all areas of life, sport and business, I'm not sure why you're trying to dress it up as being somehow unusual or underhand.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

July 8 2017, 12:04 PM 

Whatever the rights/wrongs of incentives/payments/bribes (take your pick!) my overwhelming feeling is that this new competition just isn't needed.
The competition we've got attracts the best overseas players apart from the Indians, cricket supporters CARE about their counties and will (mostly!) support them in all formats, crowds have been rising significantly for a few years now. By all means "relaunch" the blast, throw everything behind it in terms of promoting it and give it some free to air coverage but tearing it up and starting again? Ridiculous.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 8 2017, 12:30 PM 

Sootieyorkie --- I was not trying to indicate that it was shady or underhand, and I apologise if it came across as that.

The point I am making is that most of the counties were against it initially and for a long period afterwards as being not needed in addition to the existing competition. It was only when the payments were offered, that the counties changed their point of view, barring two who stuck to their original principles.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 8 2017, 12:35 PM 

Absolutely yes, I remember it as that as well. I remember saying at the time that all the counties objections would disappear if they were offered enough cash and true enough it happened. It didn't surprise me in the slightest and tbh doesn't bother me either.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

July 9 2017, 11:22 AM 

Speaking to somebody at YCCC I asked why the hell did we vote for this when the Blast was becoming more popular and subsequent dilution would not be in the games best interest, quite simply he said we voted for our Jobs we are truly skint as are most Counties.

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 9 2017, 1:11 PM 

I find it very hard to believe that the ECB sees the Blast continuing alongside the new competition. It will let the dust settle from the recent vote on the new competition and then start the next part of the push towards its desired goal.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 9 2017, 2:02 PM 

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Jul 9, 2017 2:02 PM

chrisbrooky
(Login chrisbrooky)

July 10 2017, 9:03 AM 

Have to admit after initially being in favour of the new competition, I walked out of Headingley thinking what a great product the Blast is, 10,000 people there on a pretty poor night weather wise. Yes it may need a tweak but overall how on earth is a city based format going to improve what we have. Purely done for the money I'm afraid.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 10 2017, 9:31 AM 

My feelings exactly Chris.

My worry is that the crowds at the current excellent T20 competition will be diluted as some will switch to the new competition, especially families. Possibly £60 upwards for a family of four? If they want a day out, it is unlikely that family will go to one match in each competition, so which will they choose?

Just don`t think the new T20 comp will be the "cash cow" that the counties and the ECB think it will be. No affiliation with the team and matches on "free to view" will not help with crowds either.

Could end up overall with considerably less gate receipts from the existing comp, but not enough increased revenue from the new competition to make up the short fall. They do get the 1.3M payout each year so that could go some way to compensate for the reduced crowds. Time will tell!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 10, 2017 9:45 AM

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

July 10 2017, 10:16 AM 

Last Friday evening was good weather in the context of an English summer. It was comfortably warm enough to sit out even after 9.00.
I think the current marketing theory is that having matches on free to view TV will increase rather than reduce attendances. It generates interest among general sports fans as opposed to cricket enthusiasts, as people tend to think if it's on TV, it's probably something that's worth spending money and time to watch live. Why do people go to festivals when they could listen to music at home?

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 10 2017, 11:50 AM 

I think the main money is coming from tv viewers thats going to be the big target. Whether or not this happens who knows? But the advertisers and tv companies think so.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 10 2017, 11:56 AM 

You could be right, roundheighan, re increased attendances when matches are "free to view".

I am, perhaps wrongly, basing my assumptions on what I do. I NEVER go and watch YCC play if they are on SKY, but never miss a match if they are not on Sky. To much hassle re travelling and parking etc, and especially if it is cold and wet. Why go to the ground and hang around on the off chance of play, when you can sit in the comfort of your own home.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 10, 2017 12:27 PM

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 10 2017, 12:04 PM 

I think roundheigen is right, increasing the image and profile through tv doesn't always mean numbers drop off. It increase both live and tv viewers who watch it casually on tv and then a few games live per year.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk