<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Luke Fletcher

July 8 2017 at 9:35 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

It sounded horrific but it had to happen sooner or later.

Hope there's only superficial damage and best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Luke Fletcher

July 8 2017, 9:44 PM 

Nasty. Thankfully appears to be ok judging from Jake Ball's tweet.

Martin
(Login Cusworth)

July 8 2017, 10:20 PM 

Regarding Luke Fletcher - a pantomime villain and a real character. Like most Yorkshire fans, I've given im gyp at Scarborough,but I've allus ad a grudgin respect fo t'way he intentionally walks slowly to t'crease, draggin is bat and snearin at us lot jeerin im. At times I've jus regarded im as a gret big wazak. At daft moments av wished we could gerim on loan. Fletcher lad, if tha can ear me, I wish you a speedy recovery. Cheers big un.

(Login jerryberry55)

July 10 2017, 4:46 PM 

Type in English for god's sake!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 10 2017, 7:05 PM 

Glad to hear that Luke has been discharged from hospital and is recovering at home.

There is bound to be some psychological damage which will make playing again difficult.

I say this with tremendous admiration for his totally grounded personality but I doubt there are many players better equipped to make a speedy return to action.

(Login dpressed)

July 10 2017, 8:20 PM 

I think he'll be fine. I can say this having seen it happen. In 2003 Nixon McClean hit a Kirby delivery ... Nixon was a big lad. Instead of getting out of the way Kirbs tried to catch it. The result was the ball hit Steve & knocked him out. Once he'd recovered consiousness Kirby wanted to come back on, but was eventually put in an ambulance. .... Oddly Yorks had 2 men taken to hospital in the match as Damian Martyn managed to edge a Richard Johnson delivery into his face

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 10 2017, 8:32 PM 

I'd never have guessed that Steve Kirby had been whacked on the head.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 11 2017, 7:46 AM 

Glad he's on the mend but what do you do? Lengthen the pitch? Soften the ball? Ban straight drives or put up a shield in front of bowler and umpire or make bowlers where helmets?

Sadly it's a risk and it's a rare occurrence fortunately

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

July 12 2017, 12:24 PM 

See he is to miss the rest of the season on medical advice. Better safe than sorry, but a shame. Could have happened in any format, but no surprise it was 20/20.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

July 12 2017, 3:53 PM 

Here's hoping the big man makes a speedy recovery.

fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

July 12 2017, 4:21 PM 

More perspective here from a Cricinfo piece.

"I'm really lucky to be here now and speaking to you today," he (Fletcher) said. "The doctors said I pretty much dodged a bullet. A few inches to the left or right and it could have been a completely different story. If it had hit the temple or straight in the face then…. I don't really want to think about what may have happened."

Fletcher warns that, in training, bowlers are already reluctant to bowl at batsmen practising their T20 skills.

"I think it'll happen again," he said. "Most bowlers - certainly at Notts - in the nets tend to go away and do target practice on the side in one-day and T20, just because balls are coming back at a speed you can't react to. You get hit all over your body. I certainly think the chances are it will happen again."

With bats better, batsmen seemingly more powerful and the aggression of the game having undergone a transformation since the introduction of T20, it seems inevitable that, sooner or later, we're going to see a bowler killed by a return hit (this is G Dobell writing)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/1110742.html

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 12 2017, 4:48 PM 

He definately dodged a bullet.

Not a mark on him and no sign of any stitches either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40580846

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 14 2017, 4:22 AM 

There is now talk about protective head gear for the bowlers.

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

July 14 2017, 8:20 AM 

T20 players will be practising against a bowling machine soon. No other option really if what Fletcher says is true.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

July 14 2017, 9:49 AM 

The worst injury I ever saw on a cricket field was a bowler (aged 15) injured by a straight drive. In his case the ball burst through his fingers and hit him in the eye, causing permanent damage though not, thankfully, full blindness.

This would have been in the 1980s, so it's not new. Batsmen, even young boys, could hit the ball very hard, as they can now. But not as often, I suppose. But it only takes one...

So what do we do? Give up sports because they are dangerous? Or accept the risk because the hard ball, the big tackle, are all part of the fun of the thing? Soft-ball cricket, touch-rugby? No thanks.

(Login Roundhegian)

July 14 2017, 10:43 AM 

If bowlers did wear helmets, or some other form of head protection, would this affect the speed, accuracy or effectiveness of the delivery?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 14 2017, 11:27 AM 

The t20 game moves ever nearer to baseball....

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

July 14 2017, 12:10 PM 

What protective equipment do baseballers wear? Obviously the catcher is armour-plated, and the umpire (?) behind him - but what about the batters and the outfielders? Do the batters even wear gloves? Boxes? Any leg protection, where it would still hurt, even though the ball was a foul one? And they must get under-edges, from time to time.

A baseball seems to be of fairly soft leather, relatively, with no damaging seam. But speeds are high.

Otley
(Login Otley)

Luke Fletcher

July 14 2017, 1:00 PM 

Baseball pitchers have had fractured skulls and bleeds to the brain when hit by balls returned at them. After the most recent, 2 or 3 years ago, they were looking at a helmet/cap for them that reminded me of the thing Brearley first wore to much derision - not a lot of use for fast bowlers though!

Incidentally, a baseball does have a seam but it is stitched like a tennis ball. It is larger and, I think, a bit lighter than a cricket ball but batters do have cheek-bones and arms fractured and do wear helmets, arm, and often shin guards.

Good luck to Luke F, one of the game's characters. One does fear what is going to happen some time soon as I can't see how bowlers can be protected and still perform.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 14 2017, 1:57 PM 

As a problem, this goes back almost a hundred years. Jack Fingleton tells a story of when he first batted with Charlie McCartney and McCartney deliberately hit the ball back hard towards the approaching fast bowler's head. I can't remember the exact exchange, but it was something like, "If he's trying to intimidate me, then two can play at that game."

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk