<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Day's Biggest Game

July 9 2017 at 8:12 PM
Steve C  (Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

I'm very pleased to report that Yorkshire were victorious in the Under 11's Roses match played at Spen Victoria today.
Yorkshire batted first and scored 100 - and we managed to bowl the Lancastrians out for 99...

A fantastic game played in good spirit.
Proud dad Andrew Flintoff was there to watch his son - and graciously presented the trophy to the winning Yorkshire side..

Lovely afternoon. Made me glad to be alive..

This message has been edited by stevecowton on Jul 10, 2017 8:52 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: The Day's Biggest Game

July 9 2017, 8:21 PM 

Excellent - any first team prospects on show? Never too early.
I hear Michael Vaughan's lad is a bit promising.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

July 10 2017, 8:07 AM 

happy.gif Where's the Cricinfo report?

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 10 2017, 8:48 AM 

For anyone in the West Midlands, the Yorkshire U11s are playing against Warwickshire at Knowle and Dorridge on 20th July, though the U15s are at Wellesbourne on the same day.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

The day's biggest game

July 10 2017, 2:33 PM 

Are you sure about the under 15's game, Dewsburian ?
Eight of the Yorkshire under 15 side will be at the Bunbury Festival that week representing the North of England.

(Login KennyShovel)

July 10 2017, 3:33 PM 

JollyD:

Do you know much about our current U15 side? From what I understand they've hardly lost a game since playing together at U11 level until now. Are they considered a particularly talented intake or are their peers in Lancashire/Durham etc simply not as strong as normal? Combination of both? Not asking you to name names, just wondered if you had a general impression.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

The day's biggest game

July 10 2017, 4:29 PM 

The under fifteens are indeed a formidable group. I am unsure how far their unbeaten run extends, but it certainly exceeds three years.
I could not point to individuals and indicate another Root, Bairstow or Fisher, all of whom were identified early by the coaching staff. Rather, their strength lies in an indomitable spirit and refusal to concede defeat. There have been some close calls, especially against a very strong Nottinghamshire side. On three separate occasions, Notts appeared to have a game sewn up only for different players to rise to the occasion. Last time, it was the seventh bowler used who snatched victory.
During the last three years, not only has the side had three different coaches, but also three different captains. So clearly the team ethic is paramount.
An indication of their strength in depth is the selection of eight of the team to represent the North of England at the forthcoming Bunbury Festival. The squad consists of 14 players altogether.
I believe their next home game is against Warwickshire at Doncaster Town C.C. on Wednesday 26 July (11 am).
They are not yet sure of place in the quarter finals of the national championship, I believe, as their home game against Lancashire was rained off.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

July 10 2017, 7:04 PM 

Thanks Jolly D.
I was unaware of the remarkable U15 record. I shall certainly pay a lot more attention to this age group in the coming seasons.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 10 2017, 7:23 PM 

Any likely to be ready for the Essex game at Scarborough!

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

The day's biggest game

July 13 2017, 2:46 PM 

Yesterday, Yorkshire's under 15 side took another step forward in the national knock-out competition. They defeated Cheshire at Boughton Hall by 66 runs.
Batting first, Yorkshire made 192 for 7 in their 50 overs. Without one of their more successful batsmen, Matthew Revis, promoted to the under 17's, four of the top five made useful contributions; Harry Duke 44, Finlay Bean 40, Chris Wood 32 and Archie Greaves 29. In spite of a late flourish, Cheshire fell well short and were dismissed for 126. Each of the six bowlers used was among the wickets with 3 for James Mukerjee, 2 each for Harry Sullivan and Sam Wisniewski, with Eliot Goldthorp, Lewis O'Donnell and Charlie Bourne having one apiece.
As is not uncommon with this side, almost everyone made a contribution to the victory.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk