<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Re: Is this site sexist?

July 10 2017, 5:55 PM 

My daughter (at the behest and encouragement of her sports-loving father) played just about every sport in school. By my rough estimate I proudly watched her play soccer (200+ matches), field hockey, badminton, tennis, track, curling (not ice hockey, thank god) and assorted other pastimes) over a 12-year period. And while it was not always clearly identifable as the sport in question (soccer at five or six years old is more akin to one long rugby scrum or hive of bees), watching her develop into a genuine athlete was one of the most unforgettable highlights of my life.

As she moved up in the leagues and got older, the level of competition gradually improved, until I enjoyed her matches and competitions every bit as much as a professional game.

I'm glad Gavin has taken on the role of our Women's cricket correspondent, it addresses a significant oversight on our forum; and we'll be a more interesting and informed chat group in the long run for adding women's cricket to our discussions.

Alex

Gavin: When you get a minute could you send us your contact details: email,,etc.?

whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

July 10 2017, 7:09 PM 

Is the OP on the wind up?

I hope so otherwise its a fine example of political correctness gone into overdrive.

We probably don't talk about the womans game because most people are only interested in Yorkshire and/or England men's team.

The same way the Leeds United I go on focus's on the mens team.

There is no disrespect intended to the woman in the slightest.

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Women's cricket

July 10 2017, 7:17 PM 

Gavin: an interesting question, I think there would be a variety of reasons but very few, if any, would be purely because it is Women's cricket. Without going into great detail one of the main reasons is that the "competition" for spectator interest is enormous these days. This week-end alone we have Cricket (International and County), Rugby, Wimbledon, the usual Horse Rcing,and a myriad of other sports. For me it is a question of how much time I can allocate to watching sport or posting on websites about it. Naturally, I would chose to watch or post about my favourites.Furthermore, the press don't help in as much as England and County Cricket are well reported but the Women's game is neglected, particularly at Women's County level.
This is The White Rose Forum and I am , always , surprised how few threads there are about England. Thus, I think it naturally follows there will be fewer about the Women's version.
Should be interesting to see how your proposed new threads will develop. I think we will be surprised and see quite a substantial number of contributions.
Anyway, well done and let's see how it goes.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Absolutely

July 11 2017, 9:27 AM 

If we are guilty of sexism i think it's a crime of omission and ignorance rather than anything else. We certainly wouldn't tolerate any offensive or crude postings on the subject of women's cricket.
Forgive my ignorance on the subject - i went to watch Yorkshire women play in the Diamond League last year and really enjoyed it. Is the competition being repeated this year - after the World Cup presumably...?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 11 2017, 9:35 AM 

Yes Steve, the Yorkshire Diamonds matches start on 11/8 ( a double header with the Roses match) and also against Lancashire. Full details of all the ladies matches are in the members guide. The other "home" match for the Diamonds is at York on Sunday 20/8.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 11 2017, 11:51 AM 

I drove down to Brighton last year to help my son move some of his gear home and stopped off on the way at a women's T20 at Guildford and, on the way back, an England U19 one-day fixture at Wormsley. It was some of the most enjoyable cricket-watching of the year. The Surrey women's team were playing Lancashire, with some very good players on view. The only thing that spoiled it a little was an elderly man sitting behind me who muttered grumpily every time the announcer referred to the incoming player as the next "batter". Having said that, after I realized he'd do it every time a wicket fell ("Batter! Huh!") it became quite funny.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

July 11 2017, 12:23 PM 

Is batter the correct gender neutral term these days? Is a female batter a batswoman?

I've only really followed women's cricket from a distance so I have no idea.

eastriding
(Login eastriding)

July 11 2017, 12:59 PM 

Fair point Gavin.

I will be keeping an eye out for Yorkshire Diamonds in August when the domestic competitions kick off

The domestic scene is pretty new and I see a number of Yorkshires players from last season are now off to other teams to spread the International talent across the board, I see the point but it will make it harder for supporters to identify with "their" team

I follow some of the international womens cricket, Ireland, England. The current WWorld cup seems to be lasting forever and doesn't seem to be going anywhere...

No 1 problem for womens sport, it has to be competitive, close games/exciting competitions will drive the interest.

Because women lack the raw power that has dominated in the mens game since T20, women play a more classical style which could attract the purists.

Stupot
(Login Stuart129)

July 11 2017, 10:48 PM 

Any Cricket site that refers to bowling a maiden over must be regarded as sexist!!!!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 12 2017, 8:14 AM 

I'm glad we've aired this.

Can someone 'unsticky it' now!

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 12 2017, 8:21 AM 

No, they still say batsman, on commentary at least.
I quite enjoyed following the Eng-Aus clash, although I must admit it was mostly during the breaks in the Test. There's been a substantial improvement in standard in the top nations, but seems to me still too many easy wins. Also fielding, especially catching, lags behind a bit on the whole. West Indies have been a disaster area for much of the tournament. Umpiring has been a bit iffy in places too. But I don't think I would have bothered watching say 10 years ago.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

Terminology

July 12 2017, 1:04 PM 

Further to the batter/batsman comment. There is a Australian woman cricketer (can't remember her name at the moment) who wants batsman, third man, night Watchman changed.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 12 2017, 1:41 PM 

Decent catch in the gully to dismiss the England opener this morning though. And I saw some of Dottins knock on twitter and she hits a long ball although the bowling was strictly military medium at best

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

July 13 2017, 9:32 AM 

I vote for Batslady, Third Lady and Nightwatchlady.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 13 2017, 10:08 AM 

I've mentioned on here before that there used to be a team in Mirfield called the Harry Lime XI because they all preferred fielding at Third Man. I believe they've now been incorporated into the Mirfield club itself. "Third Man" has been an odd name for a long time. As soon as someone decided to have a second slip, it lost its terminological exactitude.
As I mentioned on the other thread yesterday, the announcer at Derby eventually opted for "next bat" rather than "next batsman". Nobody seemed particularly upset by either. Not like my man at Guildford with his moral panic about "batter" ("What is the country coming to?").

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 13 2017, 11:18 AM 

The only batter in a cricket ground should be on your fish....

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

July 15 2017, 1:05 AM 

Just watching the Roses T20 replay and having to hear Isa Guha co-commentating with Nick Knight. She clearly got the role on tokenism rather than ability. Unable to capture the audience with her muddled through style of commentary, hesistates far too much but most importantly has next to no knowledge of the domestic game.

As for how female players are referred to when batting and certain fielding positions, rightly so that the terminology "man" should be used. Commentators don't say "Batsboy" or "3rd boy" in an U19 Cricket World Cup match. Also you can't spell woman without "man" or female without "male".

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 15 2017, 9:01 AM 

"Also you can't spell woman without "man" or female without "male"."

I suspect the world's university departments of gender studies will be thrown into turmoil when they discover the astonishing potency of that particular argument. Perhaps some of them will spontaneously decide to close down.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: Is this site sexist

July 15 2017, 9:32 AM 

Thought bullying and winding up weren't allowed. No need to belittle Pyrahtechnics like that Dewsburian.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

July 15 2017, 9:39 AM 

"Just watching the Roses T20 replay and having to hear Isa Guha co-commentating with Nick Knight. She clearly got the role on tokenism rather than ability. Unable to capture the audience with her muddled through style of commentary, hesistates far too much but most importantly has next to no knowledge of the domestic game."

She was a damn sight better than Flintoff was the other night!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk