<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Is this site sexist?

July 10 2017 at 12:10 PM
Gavin Gray  (Login yorkie1863)

After being on this site for a while I have noticed that no-one gives the womens game a thought. No match threads, no threads on any women players. No mention of the women's world cup that is going on.

WHY???????

AuthorReply
(Login sooty-yorkie1)

Re: Is this site sexist?

July 10 2017, 12:12 PM 

Anyone can start a thread, how many have you started relating to women's cricket?

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 10 2017, 12:13 PM 

More than you.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 10 2017, 12:19 PM 

Good for you.

This message has been edited by sooty-yorkie1 on Jul 10, 2017 12:24 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 10 2017, 12:29 PM 

Anyone can start a thread on any subject they want.

Well done the ladies!!

(Login matthefish2002)

July 10 2017, 12:37 PM 

I enjoyed watching the last few overs of the Women's world cup game yesterday England v Australia. Any win v Australia is a good one!

Also went to the opening Women's World Cup game England v India at Derby.
Was a decent crowd at 3,000 sell out. Was only £5 and was impressed by the standard of play.
Of course not as powerful as the men but some of the stroke play could been enjoyed by any cricket lover.
Was going to put some of the fielding was a touch sloppy but no worse then I saw at Queens Park on Saturday.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 10 2017, 12:53 PM 

How many women members of this forum?

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

July 10 2017, 12:57 PM 

I would say that most (not all) people on this forum come here to discuss the YCCC 4-day men's team.

Women's cricket, youth cricket, international cricket and even T20 and 50-over cricket are generally seen as peripheral.

Is Mumsnet sexist because it doesn't focus on fathers and non-binary parents?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 10 2017, 1:11 PM 

Can't speak for others but in simple terms the answer is No from me. Just because we don't post doesn't make us sexist whereas derogatory comments might do.

I've watched a bit on the TV but let's face it, with three yorkshiremen in the test team and the skipper from Yorkshire then the men's test was always going to appeal more.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 10 2017, 1:17 PM 

And there was 5 Yorkshire players in the women's match. 3 in the England team, 2 in the Aussies.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 10 2017, 1:18 PM 

Preferring mens Cricket over womens isn't sexist.

WRF
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

July 10 2017, 2:20 PM 

No we are NOT sexist. However, our well-established and publicized mantra is the discussion of Yorkshire and England cricket matters with particular emphasis on the YCCC. Indeed, for several years we were the official YCCC forum.

That said, we never discourage the discussion of Yorkshire or England women's cricket, it's just that it isn't our raisin d'être or main focus.

Perhaps someone could take on the task of reporting yorkshire women's cricket. And we would certainly welcome more women members and posters. We have had several female members over the years, with "Jane from Yarm" in particular coming to mind.

Alex, owner and moderator, the White Rose Forum

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

July 10 2017, 2:38 PM 

Slightly tangential to the topic, but I've always thought that Women's sport needs to market itself to women and girls better. There is a large market there to be attracted. Tennis is quite good at this, watching the Watson v Wozniacki match at Eastbourne on tv, it struck me how many women were in the (full) crowd.

From a personal perspective, I have too much sport in my life as it is, without adding more! I have to make a living and eat sometime.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 10 2017, 3:39 PM 

Maybe sexist was the wrong term, but there should at least be match threads for the Yorkshire and England women. Surely as passionate followers of this great game show them support.

My favourite player is Sarah Taylor, the best keeper I have e seen in a long while. Closely followed by Katherine Brunt.

Eng Vs Aus was a very exciting match and is available on sky (on demand)

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 10 2017, 3:42 PM 

If no-one else wants to then I would be willing to keep this site updated with Yorkshire and England women matches.

That would be terrific, Gavin. Consider yourself, the WRF Yorkshire and England women's cricket correspondent. But please confine your duties to Yorkshire and England cricket matters.

Alex

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Jul 10, 2017 4:34 PM

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 10 2017, 3:44 PM 

Although I do work 60hrs a week.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 10 2017, 4:08 PM 

I saw the last few overs of yesterday's game and it was thrilling stuff.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 10 2017, 4:23 PM 

Ok thanks Alex.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 10 2017, 4:33 PM 

Not speaking for the site but I certainly am a trifle sexist when it comes to Women's team sports.

I've only ever seen short highlights of Women's cricket, rugby union, and football on TV and it's not for me. It may be a generational thing but I can't ever see myself paying cash money to watch women play either sports.

That doesn't mean I'm not interested in who wins of course, really chuffed that the women beat Australia yesterday and wish them every success in the tournament.

Was quite happy listening to the women's world cup matches on R5SX when it was on, though if something as mundane as Glamorgan v Northants in the CC had been on, I would have listened to that instead.

In my defence I've just enjoyed watching Johanna Konta reach the quarter finals of Wimbledon and didn't feel the need to switch over just because Murray was on at the same time.

Complex subject, I'm pleased that these sports have been opened up for women, even if it's just for their own enjoyment, which after all is why most people play these sports.

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

July 10 2017, 5:09 PM 

Ive been involved(parenting/coaching/reffing)in girls and womens football for a number of years.Loved every minute of the grass roots stuff.Grass roots girls/womens cricket was a much tougher watch. One of my daughters played for North Yorkshire U15's against East Yorkshire. She and another girl shared a stand of 50. My daughter contributed 4, the other girl six and the rest were wides. She then played with York womens team for a while. Some of the batting was good but the bowling was always woeful.I wonder why that is? Lack of good coaching opportunities? Have to say the coaches at York CC were superb with my daughter.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk