<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2nd XI T20 - Northants at Pudsey Congs

July 10 2017 at 5:37 PM
Dwight_Schrute  (Login Dwight_Schrute)

116 n.o for Lees at Pudsey against Northants.

Not sure how long he's going to accept sitting around not playing in the blast.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Jul 10, 2017 8:43 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: 2nd XI T20 - Northants at Pudsey Congs

July 10 2017, 9:00 PM 

I've been to this game today.

Double header. First game reduced to 17 overs per side due to morning drizzle. Ground was batter friendly with a lightening fast outfield, downhill to all the small boundaries, and nothing in the pitch for the bowlers.

First game, Northants batted first and made 173 for not many, we successfully chased with a ball to spare, Rhodes 54*, Tattersall 38* and Lees 30

Second game: We batted first 201- 5 and when I had to leave Northants were 50-1 from 4. I'd be surprised if they didn't also chase successfully.

Lees batted well and hit the ball very hard especially down the ground and though mid wicket. As I've said many a time, he's a class above second team cricket and remember this was a weak 2s attack in very favourable batting conditions. However nothing brings confidence like scoring runs, for Alex its a matter of regaining confidence and he'll be scoring runs again for the first team. Rhodes also looked a class above the others, again as I've said before its a pity he's leaving.

Hard to comment on the bowling in such uneven conditions however the Northants spinners significantly out bowled ours. Seamer who most impressed, Ed Barnes in game 1.

High marks to Pudsey Congs, my first visit, it looked a picture and they were good hosts.

NOTE: Anyone know the outcome of the second game? I never seem to be able to find stuff on TCS or Crichq. Nothing on any twitter feeds I've checked.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Jul 10, 2017 9:02 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 10 2017, 9:04 PM 

Left before the Northants inns so can't comment on the chase but Yorkshire won by 6 runs.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

July 10 2017, 9:30 PM 

I also made the pilgrimage to Pudsey Congs and arrived for Yorkshire's run chase in the 1st match.

For a player who can not string an innings together in the County Championship, Alex Lees looked like a man on form. Although he played an inventive shot to get out for 30 in the 1st game, he carried his bat beautifully in the 2nd match with an array of flambouyant strokes and timed the ball well. If a county comes calling with the promise of regular white ball cricket, I won't blame Lees for moving on.

Karl Carver bowled well at a time when Northants got on top of the required run rate of 10. Fisher's 1st spell looked sluggish, but redeemed himself beautifully at the death. Ed Barnes bowled a solid line and length to keep Northants in check. When Northants needed 11 off 2 balls (after their batsmen turned down a single where a 2 could have been run the previous ball), Will Rhodes pulled off a brilliant catch at long-on on the boundary rope, had to jump to get hold of the ball and keep inside the playing area.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

July 10 2017, 9:37 PM 

Alex Lees is contracted for another 2 years, a county can't approach him and he can't just move on.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 10 2017, 11:19 PM 

Lees has fallen out with Gale.

Gibson wants a loan move but Yorkshire won't let him.

Brooks leaving at the end of the season.

If you believe everything you hear!!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 11 2017, 7:42 AM 

We'd be daft to let Lees go anywhere as we don't have any obvious replacement for him. Why can't we accept players have bad trots and need to work on their form with coaches and time in the middle to get confidence back?

Lees looked a class above the others according to posters so why do we think the others will do better if given a game in the first team?

He could go out on loan for the t20 alone of course but based on yesterday he's better trying to get into our team.

I'm pleased he's not happy with Gale. Shows some passion to want to play. I can understand Brooks thinking about other options as he's not a regular pick. A Rooneyesque return to Northants might suit him?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 11 2017, 8:44 AM 

Brooks leaving wouldn't be a disaster considering his age, and the fact that he's a one format player. We certainly had his best years and he was a terrific signing.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 11 2017, 9:43 AM 

Lees bats in a similar way to Carberry in T20 cricket. Strong down the ground - good orthodox shots. Against lesser bowling and on true surfaces he will thrive. He looks less convincing when playing contrived shots - but to be honest you don't really need to play contrived shots when you are able to bat as he does. He is also less convincing against slow bowling, and he struggles to get off strike. I really don't see him being first pick in many T20 set ups for that reason

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 11 2017, 10:57 AM 

Plus smaller grounds?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 11 2017, 11:10 AM 

Fully agree, i don't believe he should he in Yorks T20 side. More the point of him wanting to play the format becoming an issue.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk