<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tamim Iqbal

July 11 2017 at 10:53 PM

dpressed  (Login dpressed)

Tonight like many I heard the reports that Tamim Iqbal was reurning home from his spell with Essex for 'family reasons'.

According to the Daily Star it was because his wife was the target of 'a hate crime'.

I really, really hope the Star have got it wrong & grieve for my country if they haven't

http://www.thedailystar.net/frontpage/bangladesh-cricket-tamim-iqbal-pulls-out-county-1431763

This message has been edited by dpressed on Jul 11, 2017 10:54 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: Tamim Iqbal

July 12 2017, 12:03 AM 

We have come a long way since I was a kid, but not yet all the way. Arguably we've done better than almost any other country in building a multicultural society - perhaps Cuba more successful? - but there will always be haters, I suppose, as recent political events have shown.

Nevertheless, I am sure (I hope) that it would be impossible to contest a parliamentary seat with the slogan, "If you want a n_____ for your neighbour, vote Labour", as one Tory did in the 1960s. And he won.

Nor would I expect a black cricketer to have bananas thrown at him, which happened to 'Syd' Lawrence in Yorkshire. The mother of a Yorkshire player told me it was nowt but a bit of fun, no harm in it.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 12 2017, 8:29 AM 

Terrible if true - but Cricinfo doesn't have the race hate line and it has not official e.g. police confirmation . In this report he denies it.
http://www.dnaindia.com/cricket/report-tamim-iqbal-denies-reports-of-hate-crime-against-family-in-england-says-leaving-for-personal-reasons-2499618

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 12 2017, 8:50 AM 

I can't help but think we'd have heard more about this if it's true. At least I hope we would have.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 12 2017, 9:04 AM 

If it was a hate crime then it should be reported and dealt with in the normal way. Running away from it does nobody any good.

If it's a wife who wants to go back home then that's a personal matter.

If it's a newspaper taking a personal matter and sexing it up with details of a current acid attack news story, then that should be a crime too.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

July 12 2017, 10:38 AM 

Tamim Iqbal: Bangladesh batsman denies Essex exit due to 'hate crime'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40579989

"Some media reported that we were the target of attempted hate crime. This is really not true. England is one my of favourite places to play cricket and Essex have been entirely gracious even though I had to leave early."

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 12 2017, 2:14 PM 

I've seen that many versions of events you end up not sure what to believe at all. The whole thing doesn't stack up and sounds like Essex and to some extent Tamim are trying to downplay and brush under the carpet but doing a poor job of it.

Perhaps one of their Yorkshire coaches might tell them that open and honest communication is the best way

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

July 12 2017, 3:46 PM 

I guess people will believe what it suits them to believe.
A shame Tamim will be unavailable to play for Essex. He's a terrific cricketer and would have broadened further, the appeal of the 20 over competition.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk