<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

Re: T20 Blast | Lancashire vs Yorkshire at Old Trafford (Match Thread)

July 14 2017, 8:50 PM 

daft from Lyth

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 14 2017, 8:54 PM 

Agree, crazy, crazy cricket.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 14 2017, 8:56 PM 

For those of us without sky, what happened?

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

July 14 2017, 8:58 PM 

They'd just got above par when he skied one to put us well behind because of being 2 wkts down

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

July 14 2017, 9:00 PM 

Hammering down with rain we need 1 run from 3 balls to get ahead on DLS and Lyth slogs one straight in the air

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

July 14 2017, 9:03 PM 

Diplomatic withdrawal from the umpires?

D/L scores tied.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

July 14 2017, 9:04 PM 

Can't help but feel a tie would be about right.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 14 2017, 9:04 PM 

Lyth never the sharpest tool in the box sadly

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 14 2017, 9:05 PM 

Umpires making it up as the go along.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 14 2017, 9:07 PM 

Fair enough the umpires going for a tie.

Feel if we'd got off to a flyer and got well above the DLS score early they might have taken us off earlier.

Doubt they will get back on now.

Big Rich
(Login Newyorkie)

July 14 2017, 9:28 PM 

Okay, it wasn't the smartest bit of cricket, and I was cursing him as much as everyone else at the time, but at least give Adam some credit for getting us into that position in the first place. Also, his catch, and the party-piece with his cap, was the highlight of the night for me.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 14 2017, 9:40 PM 

Well yeah i actually assumed he knew what he was doing at first but that was ridiculous.

Credit to Willey in the end after bowling poorly.

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

July 14 2017, 9:56 PM 

Lyth got us into the position to take something from the game, without him, we wouldn't have got anything

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

July 14 2017, 10:06 PM 

Wasn't following the game but I'll take that. I think we would have lost if it had gone the distance. Wins over there in this competition are rare so I'll take the next best thing.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 14 2017, 10:38 PM 

Highlights were our two slow bowlers bringing it back once again.

Just about every game I listen to or watch, once the pace comes off the batsmen seem to struggle.

The better and truer the pitch the more it seems to happen.

Perhaps we should consider playing Carver too, at least until we get the raw pace of Plunkett back.

Willey's bowling is a real concern this year. This batch of white balls aren't swinging and that's taking away his main weapon.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

July 15 2017, 5:52 AM 

I would defiantly play Carver, we should be bowling at least 12 overs of spin (including the 1st over) IMO

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 15 2017, 8:55 AM 

I find the comments on Adam Lyth a bit harsh in this instance. He has two powerful counterarguments to his critics: 1. The umpires weren't coming off at the end of that particular over and, whether he could be sure of that or not, he was in the best place to assess their mood; 2. Since neither Parry nor Lilley had bowled yet, it was reasonable to assume that Yorkshire needed to be a lot more than one run ahead of DLS to win the match.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 15 2017, 9:03 AM 

A strange ending. It was as if the umpires were waiting for a tied game, so they could go off and keep everyone happy with a point each. It had been heaving down for a while, so there would have been uproar if they had gone off and either team had won by 1 run. A tactful and probably the fairest decision for all concerned.

I was annoyed at the time re Lyth`s dismissal, as it could have lost us the match, having got us into a winning position, but maybe the umpires were waiting for the tie situation before going off.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

July 15 2017, 9:04 AM 

Good points Dewsburian.

Watching on Sky I got the impression from the commentators that the game would end at 5 overs thus constituting a match and based my earlier comment on that.Caught up in the moment I suppose

Bressie later commented that Adam was right to take the approach he did as, to all intents and purposes, Yorks had to treat the game as going full term.

I am however sceptical of the statement, again from Sky, that the umpires had no idea that the game was tied when they called them off.Serendipity?

In response to Stu.

The commentators said that, if one team had been ahead significantly on D/L, they felt they would have ended it earlier which does not square with the comment that the umpires were unaware of the state of the game

This message has been edited by legglance on Jul 15, 2017 9:08 AM

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 15 2017, 9:08 AM 

The Sky commentators were just saying how good it was that neither team had made any approach to the umpire when Shaun Marsh seemed to have a word with one of them.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk