<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: T20 Blast | Lancashire vs Yorkshire at Old Trafford (Match Thread)

July 15 2017, 9:12 AM 

It was a dreadful shot. Not sure i would have been overly fearful of their spinners, good luck gripping the ball in those conditions.

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

T20 Blast | Lancashire vs Yorkshire at Old Trafford (Match Thread)

July 15 2017, 10:04 AM 

In the first T20 game Lyth faced the first ball of the innings and 15 runs were scored, and they went on to score a record total. Since then TKC has faced the first ball of the innings. Against Derbyshire it was a wicket maiden, last night just 3 runs were scored, and I think Lyth faced 2 ball in the first 3 overs (TKC having same problems as Lees and not rotating the strike).

It may seem a small thing, but why the change in routine?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 15 2017, 10:10 AM 

From Cricinfo

".... At the end of the eighth over, half an hour into a Manchester downpour that was showing no sign of easing off, Yorkshire were suddenly one run ahead on the score chart at 63 for 2, nudged in front by a soaring David Willey six over midwicket off Junaid Khan.

Conditions by then were becoming farcical, posing problems for batsmen, bowlers and fielders alike. As it happened, a single to Shaun Marsh off the next delivery, from Steven Croft, changed the D-L equation again so that the scores were effectively level, the umpires determining as the rain strengthened that this was an appropriate moment to lead the teams off......"

Looks like the umps were waiting for the tie situation!!

From the comments afterwards

"What a joke. Do we now have a new rule in place for T20 - umpires must wait until scores are level before calling a halt due to rain. Did the situation really change that much between last ball of seventh & first ball of eighth over? Looking at TV pictures & listening to commentators not really."

(Login edthefed)

July 15 2017, 10:17 AM 

I find it hard to believe that the Umpires were unaware of the DL scores....isit not displayed clearly on the scoreboards? ?

Having said that i also feel it is unfair for any team to lose a short format match because of the weather.A tie seems to the fairest result

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 15 2017, 10:39 AM 

Given that they'd already stayed on beyond the point where players could keep their feet, they were going to have to come off at some arbitrary moment. Wasn't the tie the most elegant solution?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 15 2017, 11:34 AM 

I agree, the tie was the fairest result for all under the circumstances. They could have had a long wait though for that circumstance to arrive. 4 off the first ball of the 9th over or a wicket and it could have been another 2 or 3 overs before the tie result was possible again.

The only other alternative was to tell both sides that the match would be finished after a certain number of overs (anything between 5 & 10) then both sides would know exactly where they stood at any point in time.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk