<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The "Draw" Shot

July 14 2017 at 10:41 AM
Dewsburian  (Login Dewsburian)

I didn't spot it at the time, but Nat Sciver actually played a deliberate "draw" shot at Derby on Wednesday. I remember Richie Benaud talking about this many years ago, as I think he had a print depicting it on his wall. For younger viewers, the shot is played deliberately between the batsperson's legs and generally goes just backward of square. It was fairly common in the "Golden Age".

The video is at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40583779 round about the 01.18 mark.

Perhaps it's a shot that batswomen are more willing than batsmen to take on.

This message has been edited by Dewsburian on Jul 14, 2017 10:55 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: The "Draw" Shot

July 14 2017, 11:03 AM 

The "Natmeg" as I've seen it called! happy.gif

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 14 2017, 11:53 AM 

I don't wish to cast any sort of doubts - because it was a fine innings - but are we absolutely certain that she played this shot deliberately......?
Or was it a streaky inside edge...?

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 14 2017, 12:08 PM 

I think the slow motion shows it's deliberate. She slips her right hand down the bat handle and almost chips it through her legs. I suspect there's a bit of a hockey shot in it, which wouldn't be entirely surprising in a female of the batting species.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

July 14 2017, 12:15 PM 

I think the 'draw' was played behind the legs, if I've understood the illustrations; there was a variant, called the 'dog-shot', where the batsman lifted his front leg to knock the ball under it to square leg. Women could not play this shot in those days because of their long skirts.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 14 2017, 12:40 PM 

Have to confess my first reaction to Dave's comment was: isn't that the "Chinese cut"? - though I admit that was facetious.
I'll have to do some research, though I think this may be one of those questions where the answer is moot. Or, as my father used to put it, it may depend on "whether you went to Eton or Harrow." An odd thing for him to say as he was educated at the long-defunct Dewsbury Commercial School.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 14 2017, 1:00 PM 

I saw it originally and I have seen it several times since on Sky Sports, and I am sure it was deliberate. Sky also had Graham Napier trying to emulate the same shot during the breaks in yesterdays televised match, with not a good success rate, something like 1 in 4.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 14 2017, 1:45 PM 

Watched the match on sky and it did look a deliberate shot.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk