<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sarfraz Ahmed

July 14 2017 at 2:51 PM
Dwight_Schrute  (Login Dwight_Schrute)

Apparently signed for 5 Blast matches subject to being granted a visa. Assume he's replacing Handscomb when he goes.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Sarfraz Ahmed

July 14 2017, 4:55 PM 

Not seen anything official yet. What is the source of the news.

According to today's Press, Hanscomb has to attend an Aussie training camp on 9/8 prior to the Bangladesh tour, which could be cancelled.

If Safraz has signed, then play him & Marsh in the T20, and Marsh in the CC.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 14 2017, 7:05 PM 

@Saj_PakPassion

Which i think is a reliable source when it comes to Pakistani related Cricket matters.

Nothing our end though, so we'll see..

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 14 2017, 10:48 PM 

If he can transfer his enthusiasm to the Yorkshire cause I think he will be a great asset.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

July 15 2017, 2:44 AM 

https://www.geo.tv/latest/149379-sarfraz-signs-up-for-yorkshire-in-englands-t20-blast

I think the Sarfraz Ahmed signing is to replace Handscomb as Yorkshire's Overseas player for August and September.

A shrewd signature if this materialises. After the Bangladesh tour, Handscomb is going to miss at least one County Championship match in September as his state side will want him to play in the Matador BBQ Cup. Pakistan have a home series against Sri Lanka from Mid-October so Sarfraz has potential to play at least five T20 games and four CC games.

Also signing Sarfraz allows Yorkshire to play six frontline batsman without worrying about a keeper.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 15 2017, 11:44 AM 

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 15 2017, 12:06 PM 

The article says he's signed for 5 t20 games only.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 15 2017, 12:14 PM 

Yeah that's what i put in the OP.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 15 2017, 12:56 PM 

Sorry Dwight, yes you did. There seems to be some expectation that he'll be playing in the championship on here, we'll have to wait for the club's announcement.

(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 15 2017, 1:15 PM 

Pyrah ---- Also signing Sarfraz allows Yorkshire to play six frontline batsman without worrying about a keeper.

Have we got 6 frontline batsmen left after England calls?? (only joking)

Bresnan 7, Rashid 8, Plunkett 9 looks a lot better though.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 24 2017, 4:31 PM 

According to Sky Sports, the Aussie Training camp is still on, and it starts 10/8, but the tour that follows to Bangladesh has been cancelled, due to the on-going pay dispute.

This means no Hanscomb from the Essex CC match onwards, so Sarfraz should replace him as soon as he gets his Visa through. Once that happens, we can dispense with Marsh and Hanscomb in the CC, but keep Marsh to play alongside Sarfraz in the T20.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 24, 2017 4:39 PM

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

Marsh for SCC

July 24 2017, 4:38 PM 

Shaun Marsh will play County Championship matches when Handscomb is away is my understanding. Do you know anything different Stu?
A Buchan

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 24 2017, 4:44 PM 

No Alan.

More wishful thinking than anything else. I know which I would prefer playing CC for us in September and v Essex in August, out of Hanscomb, Marsh & Sarfraz, and it would not be either of the Aussies.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 24 2017, 4:48 PM 

This seems far from official - nothing from the club at all. Apparently the same source said Imad Wasim had signed for Durham and that hasn't happened either.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 24 2017, 4:51 PM 

We seem to be stuck waiting for this Aussie saga to be sorted..

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/15428681.Yorkshire_in_dilemma_over_Handscomb/

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

Waiting game

July 24 2017, 4:55 PM 

They are waiting to find out what is exactly happening with Handscomb. Cricket Australia need to make a decision so then Yorkshire can move for Safraz or not. Yorkshire need to know come mid week and then Moxon can make a decision.
A Buchan

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 24 2017, 5:27 PM 

From Cricinfo 15/7

"....Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed has signed for Yorkshire as an overseas player for the NatWest T20 Blast.

Sarfraz, captain of the Champions Trophy winning side a few weeks ago, replaces Australian Peter Handscomb, who is scheduled to attend a training camp ahead of Australia's tour of Bangladesh although that series could yet get caught up in the ongoing pay dispute....."

This suggests he has already signed. The T&A article suggests he has not yet signed, but may do.

Has he signed or not??

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Difficult indeed

July 24 2017, 5:28 PM 

My natural reaction would be to say let him go as arranged.

That might have a lot to do with the fact that he hasn't actually been a runaway success of course. If he'd been scoring centuries all over the place I would have been desperate to keep him if at all possible.

I'd like to see Sarfraz come in but it's only for 5 matches so it can be seen as a bit of a mercenary move I suppose.

Being sensitive to the current situation and keeping him on could forge a relationship, with a hopefully improving Handscombe, for seasons to come.

Good luck with that one Martin.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

July 24 2017, 7:16 PM 

Can Sarfraz play in the knockouts? If the answer is yes then he can replace Handscomb for me with Marsh playing CC.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 25 2017, 11:12 AM 

If I recall correctly, we had a similar problem last year. I think Sarfraz will have to be signed up before the k-o stages start for him to be able to play in those matches.

It needs sorting PDQ.

Is he or is he not coming? If he is get him signed up and his visa in place before the quarter-finals start (4 weeks today).

If we do sign him, he may as well play in the CC right up to the end of the season instead of Marsh or Hanscomb and alongside Marsh in the T20.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk