<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

What does everyone think?

July 16 2017 at 2:09 AM
Gavin Gray  (Login yorkie1863)

I was thinking about suggesting a forum library. Members could list books that they want to read and if a member has it they could lend it out.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: What does everyone think?

July 16 2017, 9:00 AM 

Nice idea in principle. There'd need to be some sharing of names and addresses. I don't know what the mods/amdministrators would feel about that.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 16 2017, 9:27 AM 

I would suspect that most published cricket books are 'cheap as chips' and easy to find and buy on a couple of websites.

Alternative they may be as 'rare as rocking horse doo dah' and those that have them would be loathe to risk lending them to complete strangers.

In the case of rare one's, postage costs with insurance issues might put people off.

A forum to draw peoples attention to certain books, providing help to find a copy might be useful.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 16 2017, 10:30 AM 

No postage costs would be involved. People could meet up when they are both at the ground and lend it there. No costs whatsoever and if you can't trust a cricket fan who can you trust. I leave my bag unattended all the time and it's never been touched. Try that in one of Hulls parks and it will be stolen before you've got 10foot away.

If not books then how about the matches we have on dvd/VHS. As a group get them all transferred onto DVD make a list then members can borrow them.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

July 16 2017, 2:11 PM 

That's an interesting idea, Gavin.

Alas, we wouldn't be able to provide you with email addresses, as our agreement with N54 (our host site) does not allow for us to disseminate that sort of information, and in many cases email addresses were not provided when registering.

A cricket book review section on the WRF would also be an option.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 16 2017, 9:36 PM 

I'm sure that if people are interested in this idea then we could find a way to make it work.
A book review section is a good idea although like a lot of people I am running out of space in my loft for more books.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

July 17 2017, 10:10 PM 

i have just read graeme fowlers book "absolutely foxed" while in corfu while the rounders matches are on. an excellent read, not just about cricket but also his mental health and depression struggles.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 18 2017, 1:50 PM 

Sadly I've converted to reading on a kindle now so trickier to do.

Absolutely Foxed was a great read as said by others. More to it than Foxys playing career and him not being involved more in the game in some way is a waste.

Mark Nicholas autobiography was a pleasant read more about his views of other leading players and his love for Marshall.

Jimmy Anderson autobiography was ok but would have been better post retirement.

The Grade cricketer was a fun read about a bloke hovering between third and fourth grade Aussie cricket and as much for being able to relate to some of the stories.

Got Trotts auto to read on holiday along with one book on the Yorkshire period of discontent written by a poster I believe. I thought I had read all there was to know about this period in books by Boycott, Mosey (one of the few cricket books I didn't keep after reading), McKinstry, Hampshire Bairstow Illingworth and Terry Brindle I think.

But I'm assured there is new material previously untold so look forward to hearing about it from my med sunbed

(Login debatechamp101)

July 20 2017, 2:53 PM 

I highly recommend name of the wind by pat trick rothfuss and way of kings by Brandon Sanderson!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk