<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Gary Ballance

July 17 2017 at 7:08 AM
Lew  (Login Lewis_116)

seems to really split opinion.

On one hand, you have a young batsman who proved himself as a number 3 with some great scores. Got found out, went back to Cou ty cricket and (second time around) was recalled deservedly so based on this seasons form.

That said, he clearly hasn't changed his technique to the requirement of the international game. He lounges into his crease and still gets caught by the pace>bouncer>full ball .

I cannot see him as an international cricketer. He would be fine against lesser Countries but I fear for him against the Aussie quicks in Oz.

The decision to bat him 3 is ludicrous. If anywhere, 5 was an obvious spot.

What frustrates me more is that to us, he is possibly the difference between winning the Championship or not.

Seems like he is already on borrowed time and sounds like he was a "captains pick".

Anyone got any thoughts on Balance? Have we lost him for good or will he be back with us?

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Jul 19, 2017 5:05 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login sooty-yorkie1)

Re: Gary Balance

July 17 2017, 8:27 AM 

He'll be back before the end of this series, I'm pretty sure he won't face the aussies. I think this is his last chance for int cricket pity. However he'll soon be back hammering county attacks to all parts, all the better for us.

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Gary Balance

July 17 2017, 9:32 AM 

His name is Gary Ballance.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

July 17 2017, 10:18 AM 

Maybe this short thread could be merged into the original on just this subject

http://www.network54.com/Forum/274761/thread/1498856265/2/Gary+Ballance....

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 17 2017, 10:25 AM 

I was trying to work out the other day whether I'd be richer if I had a pound for every player I'd heard didn't have the technique to bat for England and who still had a decent career or a pound for every player who was going to be the mainstay of the England batting for years to come and yet played only a handful of matches (or, in some cases, never got anywhere near the side). There are quite a few in the first category. Some obvious ones like Clive Radley, Graham Roope and Paul Collingwood. But even David Gower probably gets in there (the MCC even had a special meeting about it - well, to some extent it was about that). I can also remember Henry Blofeld questioning Michael Vaughan's credentials as a test batsman - just before he went on the run that took him to world no. 1. Over the years, we've seen plenty in the latter category. Frank Hayes. Graeme Hick of course, but also Neil Fairbrother. And I remember the late Christopher Martin-Jenkins arguing that Robert Cunliffe would be a successful test batsman for many years to come. I think it was CMJ who also tipped Phil Slocombe for England greatness. And someone wrote in the Guardian a few years back that James Vince was the "best batsman of his generation".
For Gary, one decent score and the talk will subside. A couple more decent scores and he'll be playing against the Aussies.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 17 2017, 10:58 AM 

Vince batting at his best and concentrating is definitely a player of Test class; trouble is, success at the top level of sport is all about consistency. The young professionals at one of my local golf clubs had a visit from Ian Woosnam a few years back who told them they should forget about trying to win a tour card unless they could go round their own course in 63 every time they went out, regardless of conditions.
There are plenty of good players around but they have to be able to grind out the runs. I don't have much faith in even Cook these days to bat long . He looks much more fallible than in the past. (he'll probably make 200 now).

(Login Fraisse10)

July 17 2017, 11:59 AM 

GB out early again, way back in the crease.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 17 2017, 12:16 PM 

I'm still unconvinced that bowlers bowling in the mid to late 80s (because that's all they are in this series) are "finding him out", to use that dreadful expression, whereas bowlers bowling at the same pace in county cricket (they do exist) do not. Maybe test bowlers are more accurate, but we are not talking express pace in this particular series.

He has been the victim of being messed about and selected at the wrong time, and I suspect this (and the avalanche of negativity thrown at him) has once again put him in a place - mentally - that is less than ideal.

Gary has said that he tried to change his technique, and he batted worse - so you have to feel for him. You average 100 in first div county cricket. On what basis would you alter anything?

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 17 2017, 12:48 PM 

I do think he'd have more of a chance if he was batting at 4 or 5 instead of number 3...

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

July 17 2017, 1:39 PM 

Appalling management of a batsman that probably isn't quite good enough against the very best. The ideal player for Yorkshire, if England finally give up on him and a county career is enough for him.

Went to the test yesterday - first for over 20 years. Enjoyed the day overall (although in part as i went with an old school friend), but this is a set-up that has become smug and self-important. Right from playing Jerusalem at the start of every day - which is embarrassing and patronizing.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 17 2017, 2:23 PM 

Hick, Ramps, similar talented county players who never quite succeeded as hoped on the big stage. Well if Ballance follows their example then that's a lot of centuries to come in a Yorkshire shirt which is fine by me

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

July 18 2017, 7:22 AM 

Root needs to take responsibility and bat number 3, especially after two left handed openers. It was crazy and unfair to push Gary Ballance up the order as he does not have the technique to cope with top class seam bowling..Hopefully he will be returned to us as our captain and continue to prosper for the county. England never use our players properly and it undermines then eg Rashid.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 18 2017, 9:36 AM 

I guess with Ramps and to a certain extent Hick, they had natural ability AND technique, but struggled mentally. With Ballance, he is certainly mentally tough - he hasn't thrown his wicket away in this series and has knuckled down. The question mark is about his technique.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

July 18 2017, 4:12 PM 

Well, it certainly looks like he'll miss the next test now he has a broken finger. Hopefully his time will come again and he'll bat is his best position at 5!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 18 2017, 4:20 PM 

Confirmation from cricinfo.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-south-africa-2017/content/story/1111853.html

Stoneman & Westley seem to be the next cabs on the rank to replace Gary.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 18 2017, 11:10 PM 

This injury is particularly ill timed.

He won't be available to play for us and the question of whether he is England material will drag on for even longer.

It must be 50/50 whether his next match is the 4th Test at Old Trafford or Yorks v Essex at Scarborough.

A lot depends on how his stand in, or stand ins plural, get on.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

Ballance

July 18 2017, 11:42 PM 

on a forum like this, surely the least we can do is get the lads name right.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Mandatory message title

July 19 2017, 8:13 AM 

With most posters not putting in a message title the original spelling mistake is perpetuated.

I did, once upon a time, always enter a message title to reflect what I wanted to say.

It's probably going too far to make the message title a mandatory field but I for one will try to do better.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Gary Ballance

July 19 2017, 8:58 AM 

Morkel contributed little in his one game spell with Yorkshire curtailed by injury but he may have contributed more to the Yorkshire cause in this test series by exposing Garys technical flaws and breaking his finger to see him left out for the third test.

Whoever replaces him is likely to be retained for the fourth test and Gary will therefore come back to us for the Essex game in scarbados

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Gary Ballance

July 19 2017, 9:06 AM 

Will the injury have healed by Scarborough? It is less that 3 weeks away.

We will need him, as Harry Brook is also missing that week with the England under 19`s.

We look very light on batting

Lyth, Lees, Marsh, KC, Leaning not a great looking first 5.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk