<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

"When Yorkshire played New York"

July 19 2017 at 12:59 PM
Dewsburian  (Login Dewsburian)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08y198z

I haven't had time to listen to it yet, but this programme was on Radio 4 this morning.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: "When Yorkshire played New York"

July 19 2017, 8:29 PM 

Thanks very much for posting... will enjoy this, I'm sure

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 21 2017, 10:50 AM 

An interesting listen. I didn't know so much of cricket history still exists in the States, nor did I realise the games's popularity there before their civil war. Also late, presumably last, interview with John Hampshire.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

Re: &quot;When Yorkshire played New York&quot;

July 24 2017, 12:48 AM 

Thanks for this -- good listening. I laughed out loud a few times.
Fancy that Yorkshire team being in the US at the same time as the Beatles.
And I never knew that a young Boycott was famous for his beer drinking.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 24 2017, 8:46 AM 

I always thought he was virtually teetotal in those days..

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

July 24 2017, 9:20 AM 

Yes, I think there's plenty of evidence to support that. Memory's a funny thing. Myth too. There must be dozens of people who claim to have seen Fred on his umpteenth pint, but those who really knew him say he was not a heavy drinker. Mind you, he did play up to the image a bit.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

July 24 2017, 7:28 PM 

This article in today's YP would appear to contradict the notion that GB was a beer drinker in his youth :-http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/cricket/bygones-brian-sellers-tyrant-behind-yorkshire-glory-years-1-8665806

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

July 25 2017, 9:21 AM 

I suppose if you pass by someone's table every ten minutes and they always have a full pint in front of them, it could mean one of two things. A person of Afro-Caribbean extraction may not necessarily consider the Puritan option (or understand Geoffrey's "Hear all, see all, say nowt" approach to conversation).
I was also both interested in - and a bit sceptical about - the idea that the sheer death toll of the Civil War helped to kill off cricket. The death toll was, of course, monstrous, but there were other things going on and Simon Schama touched on them in another (and, if truth be told, rather better) Radio 4 documentary on baseball a few years ago.
In my much-planned but never executed blog, I was hoping to write a little about the Sheffield cricketers who went out to the States to be groundsman and coach at one of the New York clubs and ended up as star baseball players. The name of the family has momentarily slipped my mind, but I'll dig the stuff out if anyone's interested. If not, you may have to wait for the book of the (non-existent) blog.

I've also been interested for some time in Karl André Auty, who gives his name to the cricket trophy that's contested between USA and Canada. Auty's father Charles was a "pianoforte dealer" in Dewsbury in the late 19th century (C. T. Auty's music shop in t'Arcade being the place where I acquired the early work of Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan, not to mention Bert Weedon's guitar tutor and the Paul Simon Songbook). Karl André attended the Wheelwright Grammar School, which produced other keen but mediocre cricketers over the years, became an engineer, emigrated first to Canada (1909) and then to the US (1915). He was a very prominent figure in - and chronicler of - cricket in Chicago, but he was also, of course, a Yorkshire member. Those with copies of the 1955 handbook (and we now know there must be dozens of you) will find him listed in the Dewsbury section with an address at 2000 Lincoln Park West, Chicago, 14, Illinois. Today Dewsbury, tomorrow the world! Well, not the most inspiring of mottoes, but you have to play the cards you're dealt.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk