Assistant Moderator

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 19, 2017 4:13 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: 1m pa for England cricketers

July 19 2017, 2:52 PM 

They weren't last week but they were the week before....

On a serious note, they must generate more than enough to justify it so I say fair enough. Compared to some sports it's peanuts but it will encourage aspiration at lower levels.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

July 19 2017, 3:41 PM 

took a quick glance at the thread title ( as you might expect) and thought you'd taken on a new job Stu. happy.gif

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

July 19 2017, 4:19 PM 

The nature of Central Contracts being awarded on an annual basis means players have to work hard and perform if they want to continue earning those riches.

Few players are or will be fortunate enough to have been given several contracts throughout their careers. A seven figure fee per annum might sound a lot, but if a player is awarded just one contract in their career it would only go as far as paying off the mortgage. Naturally a nice position to be at a young age, but far from being a mercenary.

The insecurities within cricket for players who are not quite world class, along with being on duty for 300 days per year make the seven figure fee justified.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 19 2017, 6:33 PM 

No frankly it's an obscene amount for playing sport and totally unnecessary as surely half of it would be enough to set them up for life.

Having just seen how much Alan Shearer gets from the BBC for sitting watching football is even worse however

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Probably

July 19 2017, 9:22 PM 

If it's a fair proportion of the money they generate I'm fine with that.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

July 20 2017, 12:54 AM 

"No frankly it's an obscene amount for playing sport and totally unnecessary as surely half of it would be enough to set them up for life."

So £250k (after tax) is "enough to set them up for life"?

I somehow doubt a cricketer would be able to live off approx £7,000 per year until retirement age (which has just gone up to 68). Otherwise Zafar Ansari would not have opted to become a lawyer.

Elite cricketers are not just playing sport though, they live off a suitcase and their lifestyle habits are under the microscope both dietary and behaviour wise. Many people at the Notts T20 opener had the option of drinking a pint of beer, but Yorkshire players who didn't make the squad and sat in the Western Terrace consumed Harrogate Spa. Say if Will Rhodes and Jack Brooks started necking Tetley's, making beer snakes and gave it large to Samit Patel at deep mid-wicket, they would be in Moxon's office the very next day.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 20 2017, 8:01 AM 

But it's not 250k is it.

It's 250k pa - as the thread title says - for perhaps a 10 year career and your tax and NI rates look a tad excessive. Plus there are usually other revenues from sponsors etc on top of a central contract.

So it's not 7k pa post retirement is it?

Now if you want to pay high agent fees and live an excessive lifestyle fine but I'm not convinced the high salaries are justified at all for any sport chasing a ball around a field.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 20 2017, 11:27 AM 

Inevitably with the extra cash in the game. Doesn't bother me they get what the market will stand.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 20 2017, 11:38 AM 

The day after the BBC are being taken to task for salaries let's hope the potentially more successful ladies team get equally rewarded then in order to narrow the gender pay gap or the ECB may get the same flak as the BBC hierarchy

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 20 2017, 11:48 AM 

I guess sport is different in that it's not directly related to success but level of interest.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

July 20 2017, 1:51 PM 

The money comes from TV subscriptions, as viewers we pay to see players play and not administrators administer, its only fair that the players receive their fair share. I've no issue with high pay for elite performance.

My 'however' is the unnecessarily bloated back up and coaching staff at all professional levels of the game. Team England spend hundreds of thousands, probably millions, on coaching, performance analysis, S&C etc plus their facility at Loughbrough. Possibility justifiable although I'd stay with unnecessarily 'bloated . In the last week I've seen 2s games involving Yorks, Northants, Derby and Notts - the not playing staff this level is excessive and an example of 'snouts in the trough'.

The game is awash with money but the counties are penniless and wasteful, not a great combination.

(Login Tyke1950)

July 20 2017, 3:56 PM 

I guess the Market will ultimately determine the value of international cricketers.

Such large sums, however, put in context the incentive payment given to the Counties for acceding to the new 20/20 competition.
Is Jimmy Anderson really worth three quarters of what will be paid to LCCC in order to assure their support?

Sometimes, the Market requires a little benign intervention in order to control its wilder excesses.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk