Good news for him and us I suppose?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Tom Westley

July 20 2017, 1:20 PM 

Yes, very good news for us. No Westley & Cook v us at Scarborough. Just need Amir & Harmer to get injured between now and then and perhaps we may have a slight chance of giving them a decent game in August.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 20 2017, 2:47 PM 

Deserves a chance - a genuine number 3 who has continued his form after stepping up to division one. Probably clinched a spot with his ton v South Africa in the "meaningless" Lions game.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 20 2017, 4:53 PM 

So do the official selectors actually do anything or does the England management just rely on Cook and Root for their views as to who they think should get a game?

First Ballance, now Westley so will one of Vice skipper Stokes Durham team mates benefit in line?

If so Stoneman has made an error moving to Surrey

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Confidence not high

July 20 2017, 5:11 PM 

Good luck to him and if he ends up batting with Cook perhaps he will be dragged along.

With a first class average of 37.44 at the age of 28 my guess is his England career will be fleeting.

If England end up playing Malan as well, and he ends up batting at 8 because of Ali I'll know they have lost the plot.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 20 2017, 11:07 PM 

Some impressive conclusion jumping there, Geoff. Maybe see how they get on before judging.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 21 2017, 8:11 AM 

If we are judging likely career success by average then Stoneman will never get picked nor would Vaughan or Trescothick have got a go. If you are using averages as a yardstick then trajectory is surely more important than the raw average?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

I like to speculate

July 21 2017, 8:16 AM 

If we can't give our opinion before the fact how can we possibly say 'I told you so'

Seems to be anybody but Stoneman.

He obviously can't be a jolly nice chap.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 21 2017, 8:26 AM 

At last someone else who has recognised that a career average is not the whole story!

We saw this with Kohler Cadmore with some posters citing his low career average which factors in his first year as a county player when aged 18 or 19 playing for a first division side who were relegated. So to improve his average he should have stayed in the second team until 21 or waited til Worcts were relegated so he faced easier div 2 bowlers!

I agree you should look underneath a career average and consider the year on year averages and see if they show improvement, consistency etc. Someone like Lyth may have a reasonable career average but he has had some extremes in an individual season.

I also think you should either add 5 or take 5 away to allow for the difference between div 1 and div 2 runs.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 21 2017, 8:45 AM 

The most important stat is that he's averaging 53 in division one this season and also scored a hundred against South Africa for the Lions. Seems a reasonable pick on that basis. And he's actually a number three.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

July 21 2017, 2:46 PM 

Find it refreshing for Team England to select a player who has quietly gone about his business over time with little fuss, rather than someone who is enjoying a good run of form and becomes a media favourite for selection.

At a time when there are batting places up for grabs in the test team, it's a shame James Hildreth is not amongst the runs this year as his middle order experience would prove much needed experience.

(Login Royalnavy)

July 22 2017, 9:33 AM 

good to see someone in form getting a pick . i really do think we are looking bare in the batting department however. Has James Vince had his chance now, will Stoneman ever get a go, does being a good bloke make you more "pickable" than being good..... with our two main bowlers also getting on a bit team England may have a far different look come this time next summer

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk