<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: T20 Blast | Yorkshire vs Warwickshire at Leeds (Match Thread)

July 21 2017, 9:36 PM 

In defence of Willey's bowling. I thought he bowled well tonight. A couple of very strong lbws turned down. His figures look worse than they were. 5 wides that should have been 1 with a competent keeper, plus an inside edge for 4.

He also generally bowls 2 up front and 2 at the end. Never hides in the middle overs.

54 off 24
(Login 54off24)

July 21 2017, 9:41 PM 

Sorry Dwight, I wasn't knocking his bowling per se, wasn't there tonight and no-one can judge based on 4 over stats on Cricinfo etc.

Was more a general view of how he tends to go for a bit when conditions don't suit him and perhaps his new slot at 3 in T20 might develop a little further?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 21 2017, 9:54 PM 

Yes sorry, i think that's fair. He hasn't bowled well so far this comp before tonight. But his batting has been better than i'd hoped so you might not be far off the mark.

Did think he was a touch unlucky tonight with the ball though.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

July 21 2017, 10:51 PM 

we are in danger of getting good at this T20 thing aren't we - is that seven home wins in a row now

our power upfront is impressive we just keep coming even if we lose a couple of wickets - slight weakness will be lack of power after 5 and I look forward to plunkett comimg back

leaning did offer some late momentum but frankly remains unimpressive in every format - he will not be with us next year

bresnan has found his mojo opening the bowling - thought he did well at lancs last week

good crowd and lovely evening

roll on sunday

thankfully we have a gap from the depressing four day stuff ( said tongue in cheek but probably less so than I would hope because it has been dire the last few weeks )

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

July 21 2017, 11:04 PM 

Not quite as many as the Notts match (iffy forecast and peak holiday season perhaps) but still a pretty good effort. Lots of families in while the drunkards can enjoy their fun in the football stand corner of the Western Terrace/Stand. Having watched the Notts, Warwickshire and Derbyshire games, we look far better defending a score on the board than we do chasing, following a similar pattern to our 50 over campaign. Difficult to put my finger on why this is.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

July 22 2017, 6:16 PM 

I enjoyed the game a lot, though the journey back to Bakewell took three hours!

Confident batting. Willey, in particular, seemed to be enjoying himself.
Kohler-Cadmore hit an enormous six over the Western Terace and into the (ghastly) concession food stalls.
Warwickshire seemed low on confidence and despite a decent come back with the ball in the last six overs, looked scrappy and hangdog for much of the time. Their batting was mainly feeble.
Bresnan bowled extremely well.

The crowd was good, but 6,000 less than Notts, the benchmark side in the North for attendances. Playing again today, less than 24 hours after the last home match, the attendance at rain-threatened Trent Bridge looked very healthy.
Things have improved markedly at Headingley in the last two years, in terms of spectator experience, but something I can't put my finger on, isn't quite right.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and Wednesday. It will be a big test of Yorkshire's marketing but, more importantly, will go a long way towards determining how well we can do in this competition.

(Handscomb looks very out of sorts and rather glum by the way.)

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

July 22 2017, 7:55 PM 

tomorrow is a test for us with the crowd - the fixture scheduling is ridiculous with games so frequently

notts did get 14,000 against Derbyshire but that is probably their lancs game

looked around 6,000 at trent bridge from the tv and I would be happy with that tomorrow

you are right that notts are the lead in atteandance but we are getting close whereas before we were miles off

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

July 22 2017, 8:07 PM 

Closer but not close, I'm afraid.

Notts attendance this afternoon was 7,600.

Last year, out of six completed home games five crowds were in excess of 10,000. In 2015, five out of seven attendances were in excess of 10,000.
Notts average gate in 2015 was 10,172. Yorkshire - 8,417
Notts average gate in 2016 was 11,429. Yorkshire - 8,607.

I think you're absolutely correct about scheduling. Most clubs have at least one week where three home games are scheduled. It's possible, at the Oval, to cope with this (three crowds of 23,000+) but nowhere else.
Crowds will inevitably show a dip in these circumstances, particularly when the weather (a key factor) is unsettled, as at present.

This message has been edited by Tyke1950 on Jul 22, 2017 8:13 PM

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

July 22 2017, 9:27 PM 

agree with you Tyke1950 closer is more accurate

very impressive attendance that today in the circumstances

the good news is crowds are increasing everywhere

one advantage notts have is that they are in a perfect position geographically and likely to benefit from away support eg close to the south Yorkshire Yorkshire support ( for some of our support easier to get to then headingley) and with the like of Derbyshire Leicester and even Birmingham close

they have also had a successful team over a long period

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk