<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2017 Bunbury Festival

July 21 2017 at 8:10 PM
JollyD  (Login JollyD)

The 31st. annual festival for the best 15 year old cricketers in the country has just ended. Held at Stowe School this year, the best represented county was Yorkshire with eight in the North squad. Sadly the North failed to win the festival with South/East the victors.
There were some award winners among the Yorkshire boys, however. Harry Duke won the prize for the best 'keeper, Eliot Goldthorp, the captain of the North, won the fielding prize, while Harry Sullivan won a special award for his general contribution to the success of the Festival.
There was a memorable opening stand of 105 between Yorkshire pair Arjun Ramkumar and Finlay Bean. The stroke play was delightful and joyous with some electrifying singles taken. Left arm spinner Sullivan took four wickets in one match including two 'at the death' in the penultimate over to help ensure victory.
All the Yorkshire boys agreed that they had had a wonderful time even those who felt disappointed at their own cricketing contribution.
One sour note was that after 30 years of impeccable organization by the English Schools' Cricket Association, this year's event had been taken over by the ECB. Some aspects of the organization were poor. When I cornered David Graveney and told him so, he adopted a very dismissive attitude. End of term report for the ECB "must do better".
The founding father of the festival, Dr. David English, was there on top form. The boys love him for his irreverent eccentricity. The ECB could never replace him.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login WhiteroseDave)

Re: 2017 Bunbury Festival

July 22 2017, 7:44 PM 

That sounds fantastic, some stars of the future there no doubt! Just out of interest, what is the balance between state/private school representation in the squads at this sort of event?

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

2017 Bunbury Festival

July 22 2017, 10:00 PM 

As regards the proportion of state/private school pupils, this is not shown in this year's programme. In the past the name of the school has been shown against each player. From memory I would say that the further south you go, the more private school pupils you find. Of this year's Yorkshire contingent, I believe two are privately educated, while three of the other six are at Grammar Schools.
Forecasting stardom is a hazardous game. Much is made at the Festival of the fact that 80 former Bunburians have progressed to the full England side. This is, however, out of a total of over 1500 who have attended the Festival during its 31 year history, or about 6%. Most of the rest do not make a living out of county cricket. Indeed Bunbury is as good as it gets for the vast majority.
Nevertheless, it is a wonderful experience for those fortunate enough to attend, enhancing both their cricketing and social lives.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

2017 Bunbury Festival

August 12 2017, 3:28 PM 

Following this year's festival for 15 year old cricketers, five Yorkshire players have been selected by England for their elite coaching squad. Congratulations to Harry Duke, Eliot Goldthorp, Arjun Ramkumar, Matthew Revis and Harry Sullivan. This represents the first step towards possible eventual inclusion in the England under 19 side.
Meanwhile the Yorkshire side has reached the last eight of the national knock- out competition. They play Wales next Wednesday, 16th August, at Scarborough Cricket Club for a place in the semi- finals (11 am start)
For this match, spectators will be allowed to park cars in the ground in the area above the popular embankment.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

August 13 2017, 12:21 PM 

Thanks for keeping us in touch with this. I really do appreciate it. I tried to see the Yorkshire U19s at Dorridge last week, but the weather never looked likely to relent and I left at lunchtime with the covers still on.

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

August 15 2017, 1:48 PM 

What a good thread.Ta. Quite fancy Scarborough next wednesday now.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 15 2017, 6:13 PM 

Me too - but i'll be in Edinburgh watching Argentinian jugglers...

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 15 2017, 6:33 PM 

Several hands of God then....

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

2017 Bunbury Festival

August 17 2017, 12:12 PM 

Yorkshire under 15's eased to the semi-final of the county knock-out with a 6 wicket win over Wales. Under glorious Scarborough sunshine, the visitors won the toss and elected to bat. Yorkshire took the field without two regulars, Matthew Revis ans Chris Wood, both elevated to the under 17 side.
After a bright start, Wales started to lose wickets regularly. The judicious mixture of pace and spin employed by the Yorkshire captain was too much for the Welsh boys and they subsided to 95 all out. Eight bowlers were used of whom six took wickets. The best figures were returned by 14 year old slow left arm bowler, Harry Sullivan, who took 3 for 16 in 10 overs.
The bowlers were backed up by some splendid fielding. Several boundaries were prevented by diving saves worthy of a Premiership 'keeper. Arguably the two most notable fielding efforts were a run out by Tom Nicholson from a prone position straight to the bails, and a plunging one handed catch by Lewis O'Donnell inches from the turf.
Yorkshire's innings did not start promisingly with two batsmen dismissed with just 4 runs on the board. Both succumbed to some fine aggressive bowling. When 2 more wickets fell with only 44 scored, there were some anxious faces in the dressing room. A cool head and a broad bat were required. These were duly provided by Arjun Ramkumar. Starting carefully, he gradually became more expansive. He found a willing ally in skipper Eliot Goldthorp. This pair turned the game back Yorkshire's way. Their unbroken partnership of 53 ensured victory, Goldthorp finishing the game with two thumping boundaries.
Yorkshire now travel to Kibworth in Leicestershire for the semi-finals and finals on 23 and 24 August.
A full score card of the quarter final may be found on TCS.

(Login KennyShovel)

August 23 2017, 6:45 PM 

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

2017 Bunbury Festival

August 24 2017, 11:45 PM 

As intimated above, Yorkshire beat Surrey in a tense semi-final by 3 runs to qualify for the ECB under 15 competition.
Notable contributions for Yorkshire were Finlay Bean, 43 and Chris Wood 34. James Mukherjee took 4 wickets and Harry Sullivan 3.

In the final, they played Nottinghamshire, the only side to have beaten them in the last four seasons.
On this occasion, however, Notts were able to muster only 88 all out. There were 4 wickets for Sam Wisniewski and 3 for Eliot Goldthorp.
Yorkshire made rather heavy weather of their victory, triumphing eventually by 5 wickets. Matthew Revis anchored the innings with 32, Archie Greaves contributing 21.
It will be noted that the vital contributions were shared around the team, a characteristic of this side.
Fittingly the winning run was scored by inspirational captain, Eliot Goldthorp, with a huge six over mid- wicket.
Not since 2009 have Yorkshire been national champions at this age (a team which contained Jack Leaning and Ben Coad).
The 2017 side deserved their success because of their remarkable consistency over several years.

The full score cards for both matches may be found on TCS.

(Login ibby3)

August 25 2017, 8:30 AM 

Thanks for that DJolly it was an interesting read. I saw young Harry Sullivan last year at the Bradford league 20/20 finals day at Pudsey st Lawrence, playing for Methley. He was a little lad then but he stood out with a lovely loop and had a few seniors in trouble, certainly had a few admirers that day. I wondered at what level rep cricket he was playing.

Some other names are local to me too, Revis at Farsley, Goldthorp Rawdon, and Wisniewski at Pudsey Congs.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

August 25 2017, 9:05 AM 

Thanks for those posts. I look forward to seeing something of these lads in the 2020s. It all warms my heart in a way hearing we've signed Bruyn van Bashaball as a kolpak never could.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Single minded/Keep your options open

August 25 2017, 9:50 AM 

It would be great if we had a cricketing 'class of 92 situation' (Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, etc from Manchester united's academy).

It wouldn't do for them all to succeed or we'd have to change the team every year!

In defence of Bruyn, he's a human being in quite a difficult situation too.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

2017 Bunbury Festival

August 25 2017, 10:37 AM 

In response to the query about Harry Sullivan, he is a year younger than the other boys. He was one of eight Yorkshire players to represent the North of England, and is one of five Yorkshire lads selected by the ECB for their elite training programme. Exceptionally, he failed to take a wicket in the final, but conceded only 14 runs in his 10 overs, enabling other bowlers to profit from the pressure generated.
As regards creating the equivalent of a 'class of '92', that is most unlikely, I'm afraid. Already two players are considering careers in other sports. I have to say that it is rare to see an entire team so utterly dedicated, but injuries and other interests may eventually intervene.
In their favour, most of the teams they beat were physically better developed but could not match the Yorkshire boys' skills. When our boys 'catch up' physically, they will still have their skills. Joe Root is, of course, the ultimate example of this.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

August 25 2017, 11:08 AM 

Wasn't thinking of Bruyn, who I had totally forgotten, Geoff, and I have no hostility to kolpaks - or others - making difficult personal decisions. Just making up a daft name for a generic kolpac really. My feeling was just that it's the sort of slow patient development of our own which makes Yorkshire special, the occasional signing to fill a gap notwithstanding.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk