<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Do you feel Lyth, Lees, Leaning can still be part of our future?

July 22 2017 at 12:43 PM
LUTyke  (Login Y4EV)

3 batsman who are under immense criticism and pressure right now, here is my assessment of all 3

Lyth - Always been an up and down batsman, can have a brilliant season one year and then be terrible the next. Not had a brilliant season since 2014 although 1000 runs last year shows he's still capable of being solid.
Lees - Up until this season always been a solid yet unspectacular batsman. you can usually count on him to average 40 in a season but hasn't really progressed much since his breakthrough year which is worrying, and the fact he's gone backwards this year is even more worrying. He's still fairly young though.
Leaning - Had a great start to the 2015 season and has sadly declined since. Still young and I think he has potential.

Personally I think these guys should stick around, not that we have the finances to overhaul the batting anyway. I think they are good enough to suppliment 1-2 "better" batsmen (when on better form) but I sadly don't feel they are good enough to carry the bstting by themselves. I do also feel there should be more competition for their places which is why I'm baffled we're selling Will Rhodes.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login Harrogateyorkie)

Re: Do you feel Lyth, Lees, Leaning can still be part of our future?

July 22 2017, 1:41 PM 

Definitely stick with them all.

Not many opening batsman get a thousand runs, for obvious reasons, but Lyth and Lees did

Thomas
(Login YorkshireAllOver)

July 22 2017, 2:40 PM 

They're all good enough and they've proved that not that long ago. 1000 runs for each Lyth and Lees last season was an impressive achievement. It's disappointing they've not been consistent at all this season but a bad 6 months after 4-5 years of being good to spectacular shows there's no doubt of their quality.

Leaning didn't prove himself for as long before going through a bad spell; but one thing I would say is that Lyth and Leaning - Lyth especially - have been terrific in one day cricket in the last 18 months even if their 4-day form hasn't been what we'd like

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 22 2017, 2:44 PM 

How exactly would we replace them? Brook and Kohler-Cadmore are knocking on the door but the fact that we've released Rhodes means those three are going nowhere.

Jolly D
(Login JollyD)

Do you feel Lyth, Lees and Leaning can still be part of our future ?

July 22 2017, 6:47 PM 

The short answer is 'yes'. They should remain part of our future. We are not 'selling' Will Rhodes, LUTyke. He asked to be released from his contract at the end of the season. Yorkshire have habitually never held on to players who express a preference to leave.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 22 2017, 8:52 PM 

Put it another way. How many England qualified batsmen who are not on England's radar average more than 40? Very few. Even fewer openers. If we did release them counties would be queuing round the block to sign them. Leaning is different but I suspect he'll be persevered with

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Selling Rhodes!

July 22 2017, 9:31 PM 

I'm pretty sure we won't be getting a fee for him!

Although the transfer of players from one County to another may increase over the next few years this is likely to be very limited and mainly concentrated on players who can strengthen teams in white ball cricket, predominantly T20.

This form of cricket is the one that the financial interests of Counties are leading them to focus on.

In Yorkshire's case, if Brook makes the grade, TKC comes up to scratch and we get Ballance back I think we are well placed in our 4 day batting.

Lyth and Lees are excellent players who will get plenty of cricket and I hope will benefit from a bit of competition for places. What has been unsatisfactory recently is their continuing to be picked when so clearly out of form because there has simply been nobody else.

Leaning is one who maybe should concentrate on white ball cricket just for now and hopefully ease himself back into 4 day cricket next season.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 23 2017, 7:04 AM 

We have had examples of players wanting to leave but not being permitted to do so with Anthony McGrath perhaps the most recent case.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

July 23 2017, 10:45 PM 

Depends what format we are talking about because Lyth has been exceptional in T20 and generally good in recent seasons in One Dayers.

Lyths county Championship form has been iffy and it concerns me that Lyth and Lees together don't seem to build partnerships.

Lyth is a bit iffy outside offstump and though he scores quite fast, he is a risk opening. I would be tempted to move him to 3. There is not one part of me that thinks he should be under pressure - His fielding, enthusiasm and part time bowling are also invaluable.

Lees has gone backwards. His limited over form especially. He is a seriois talent though and dorsn't have to have any obvious technical issues. I just think he needs time and his form will come.

Leaning is frustrating. Again he is young and you sense we should persevere as there is obvious talent. He is probably more important to the limited over teams at the moment.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

July 24 2017, 12:45 AM 

That's a good summary, Lew.
And the bottom line is, yes, they should all three stay right in the middle of our set up.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

July 24 2017, 8:48 AM 

Anyone who doubts Adam's value to the side doesn't watch us play very often.
Hes absolutely intrinsic to most of the good things that happen.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk