<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: Today- women's world cup final England Vs India

July 23 2017, 6:42 PM 

Was it just the pavilion that was empty, or were the adjacent Warner and Allen+Tavern poor too? I couldn't go, to my regret, but as a member if I had gone I'd definitely have got tickets for friends, which would have meant sitting somewhere other than the pavilion.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

July 23 2017, 9:16 PM 

Well done, I watched a tiny bit in the long room during the rain break at Headingley and thought they had blown it.

Will watch some highlights when I've caught up with the TDF and the Open.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

July 23 2017, 9:58 PM 

Did you sleep through the 2010 World Cup success, Brian? 😀

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

July 26 2017, 2:53 PM 

Does anyone read the excellent Backwatersman, a blogging follower of Leicestershire and sometimes Northants?

He has made a good post here on/around five WWC matches he watched at Leicester. A couple of choice quotes:

"...about the only thing about women’s cricket that can be irksome (the matches themselves are usually enjoyable to watch) is the uncritical and breathlessly enthusiastic tone that some commentators feel obliged to adopt when writing about it, rather like a 14-year-old E.W. Swanton reporting on a House Match."

and

"It occurs to me that watching the women’s game now is rather what it must have been like watching the men’s game in the earliest days of the modern era (in the 1870s and 1880s) : predominantly medium pace bowling and spin, well-pitched up, with the batsmen playing off the front foot with a straight bat."

Some aspects of the games make boring old flesh like mine crawl:
"The general aim seemed to be to create a sort of stadium rock experience...there were...“Cricketeers”, whose job, rather like Butlins’ Redcoats, or the Mouseketeers, was to ensure that the crowd had a good time, all of the time....Any lull in the action was filled by a randomly chosen burst of music...music was played to mark any significant event, such as a wicket or a boundary, which were also marked by some contraption that resembled multicoloured ectoplasm leaping into the air from a box. While the schoolchildren were present this was greeted by a noise like 2,000 pocket air raid sirens going off, presumably in response to the music, the ectoplasm and the urgings of the Cricketeers, rather than any understanding of what had happened on the pitch.."

Sounds hideous.

You can read him at:https://newcrimsonrambler.wordpress.com/

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk