<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Question time.

July 24 2017, 8:20 PM 

This is interesting. East coast is correct and the tidying up the records did happen when the status of some games was revised, although I thought the Yorkshire policy was not to do this and accept the status given at the time the game was played.

Doesn't explain the removal of Wainwright unless the Yorkshire policy is a recent one.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Jul 24, 2017 8:21 PM

EastCoastExile
(Login EastCoastExile)

10 wickets in an innings

July 24 2017, 8:21 PM 

Jolly D -if you look on page 114 of the 1923 yearbook you will find Ted Wainwright's 10 wickets in 1890. this is also on page 118 under Wainwright.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 24 2017, 9:27 PM 

The answer was Ted Wainwright who did the 10for in 1890. I'm at work at the moment but the feat was listed as mentioned earlier by someone and I am definate that it was listed in the 1923 edition. He was listed in editios up to 197-somethibg.
It's a real shame that this remarkable feat has been removed.

If I have time I will lose you all another question tomorrow.

Unless someone else has a question for us.

EastCoastExile
(Login EastCoastExile)

10 wickets in an innings

July 24 2017, 9:46 PM 

Getting 10 in an innings is obviously a great achievement but I am not sure Staffordshire in 1890 was the toughest opposition. They certainly weren't counted as first-class at the time and it was just an extra match. Mind you, in saying that, Alonzo Drake's 10 wickets v Somerset in 1914 is probably slightly devalued by the fact that the game was played three weeks after the start of the First World War. Both sides were pretty distracted according to newspaper reports and the wicket had been prepared using soot.

Geoff Hall
(Login geoffinfrance)

10 Wickets in an Innings

July 24 2017, 10:52 PM 

My 1910 Year Book (yes - purchased 20 years ago for £8.50) shows E Wainwright taking all 10 wickets against Staffordshire in 1890.

However, it comes under a section "Yorkshire County Records" which doesn't distinguish between first class and non-first class. Later in the same Year Book, there is a section on First Class Records but this only relates to team scores and results; no individual feats. It has already been stated that Staffordshire never played a first class match

Incidentally, we played Staffordshire intermittently from 1890, always home and away. Between 1906 and 1908 we played them six times and lost five!!

Geoff

PS - I've since found out that a Staffordshire XI played the Australians in a First Class match in 1890 which the Australians won by 88 runs (although Staffordshire did tie on first innings, with 60)

This message has been edited by geoffinfrance on Jul 25, 2017 8:45 AM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 25 2017, 7:06 AM 

Getting all ten isn't just about the quality of the opposition though.
There is a bowler at the other end just as keen for taking easy wickets against poor batsmen and for only one of the bowlers to succeed takes some doing.

Just ask Tony Lock

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

July 25 2017, 10:32 AM 

Staffordshire were Minor Counties champions in 1906 and 1908 and Sydney Barnes was playing for them. (Barnes 189 wickets in 27 tests at an average of under 17). They were probably a useful outfit.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Question time

July 25 2017, 10:34 AM 

Thank you, East Coast Exile. I confess that I looked only in the obvious place in the 1923 year book, but failed to search elsewhere. I am grateful for the information.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

New question

July 25 2017, 12:34 PM 

Which Yorkshire cricketer received a fair play award? During this particular match at a crucial point he took what was thought to be a brilliant catch, only for him to acknowledge straight away that it wasn't a catch.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 25 2017, 1:20 PM 

Richard Blakey.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 25 2017, 1:26 PM 

Yes right. Hmmmmm must have been too easy............

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

July 25 2017, 1:46 PM 

Was it Leicestershire at Harrogate? Think we went on to win the game but it was very much in the balance when this incident occurred.

Always think Blakey is very forgotten when we talk past players - perhaps not a 'great' but very good. Interesting how others with weaker stats but more charisma are remembered, David Bairstow is the obvious example where as the efficient and quiet are forgotten. Such is life I guess.

Blakey and Wainwright
(Login littleoldme.)

Talking of

July 25 2017, 5:14 PM 

Talking about Richard Blakey , he was on commentary on Friday with Cally describing the Birmingham Bears match. He swore. Yes he let the word out of his mouth but quickly said sorry as soon as he said it. Cally was not amused. Talk on this page too of Yorkshire great Ted Wainwright, well I'm showing off now - I have his autograph!
A Buchan

(Login dpressed)

July 25 2017, 6:09 PM 

Richard Blakey was the last Yorkshire first team captain to lift a limited overs trophy .... The C&G 2002

This message has been edited by dpressed on Jul 25, 2017 6:10 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk