<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Warwickshire

July 26 2017 at 4:04 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Clark back to Surrey, who he used to play for, to be replaced, presumably, as the middle-order all rounder by Rhodes.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Warwickshire

July 26 2017, 4:25 PM 

Warks snapped up Hose from Somerset too.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 26 2017, 5:24 PM 

If Rhodes does half as well as Clarke he will do well and have a good career there.

Hose has only just broken though at Somerset so why is he moving too?

Giles clearly clearing the decks at the Bears to bring in a new regime. Several who went there are now going back. Chopra, Clarke,

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 26 2017, 6:00 PM 

Firefighting.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

July 27 2017, 9:16 PM 

Time will tell but I cant believe we've let Rhodes go. He's without doubt better than TKC and maybe superior to Leaning.

I think he'll do well at Wark. Good luck to him.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 2 2017, 5:50 PM 

Sibley the next man in..

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

August 2 2017, 10:41 PM 

Having lived in Birmingham for 30 years, I'm surprised that the county has unearthed so little local talent - particularly from the urban areas. This is a conurbation of 2 million people, which produces any number of footballers but struggles to fill a county cricket team from the local area, despite vibrant junior and recreational cricket.

Moeen Ali raised just one aspect of this in his recent interview with the Guardian: "Look at Warwickshire. This is a big city of Asian people, so why can’t you produce any south Asian players? I don’t understand. Either the coaching system is not great or they just don’t know how to tap into it or they’ve not tried.”

Lew
(Login Lewis116)

August 2 2017, 10:53 PM 

My thoughts are Warwickshire are too lazy to bring through their own and therefore look to other counties.
That said at least is Rhodes, Hose and Sibley they are signing players before their peak and will hopefully improve them.

Sibley is a smart signing.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 3 2017, 7:57 AM 

I have some sympathy for Surrey here which is not a phrase I use very often. I agree with Stewart's stance in that they cannot guarantee a top three slot in all formats and Sibley has taken the easy route and money presumably. With Sangakarra retiring and ROY in the England plans there would be plenty of opportunities at Surrey even more so when stoneman is finally called up by England.

But then the cheque book brown hatters have to some extent shot themselves in the foot by signing Stoneman and Borthwick to either block or compete depending on your viewpoint.

Warwickshire are an ageing team in decline having seen them last year at headingley. Bell isn't doing what others discarded by England have done and go back and show you are a level above county cricket. Chopra and Clarke have come and gone back home disillusioned. Youngsters like Umeed and Hain don't seem to grab their chances and it's interesting that nearest neighbours at Worcester have backed their local youth and until the TKC fall out were flying.

Word of warning to Gale. I would watch out for Giles tapping up the likes of Lees and Leaning with a sweetener of being skipper when Bell retires.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 3 2017, 8:11 AM 

Rhodes may find himself with the same problem at Warks the rate they're signing players at present...

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 3 2017, 9:56 AM 

Lots of knowledge shown by posters, above. "Sympathy for Surrey" may be a first for WRF, though.

I wish Ashley Giles well. The whisper at Lancashire was that his departure was a marriage-saving move, and that he knew what he was getting onto, but lesser of two evils. He came across brilliantly at Old Trafford, his whole approach to coaching and to accountability to the members.

So keep an eye on Edgbaston and see whether they become a producer of good cricketers as well as a buyer. The game cannot afford them not to be, and it's time Notts and Surrey started pulling their weight, too.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 3 2017, 10:39 AM 

I did say it was a phrase I dont use very often!

It's hard to slate Surrey here when one of their few home grown players who has represented them since under 9 level then leaves as he wants selection guarantees when he had hardly pulled up any trees this season.

But I am sure they will find someone else from another county to replace him. Let's hope Batty doesn't have connections back home who know our three L's....

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

August 3 2017, 1:43 PM 

As I said I convinced we've made a mistake with Rhodes - he's a future county captain and number 5 bat.

Lees to Surrey is frightening and plausible. He's ambitious (I've heard this from more than one source) and if he feels his future, and England prospects, are better served on the flat Oval pitches than In Leeds, he'll be tempted. If I was Surrey.....

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 3 2017, 1:50 PM 

From Alex Stewart (BBC SPORT)

"He told me the reason he's leaving is that he feels his opportunities at Warwickshire would be greater," said director of cricket Alec Stewart.

"We've had numerous conversations with Dom and his advisors over the past 11 months and I'm comfortable in knowing that we could not have done any more in showing how much we wanted him to be a big part of this club," Stewart continued.

"We believe we were moving Dom in the right direction and are bitterly disappointed he has chosen to leave us at this stage of his career."

Why did they sign Stoneman & Borthwick then?? Pretty clear that fringe players like Sibley would want to be away after those two signings.

As for Lees going to Surrey -- how many openers do they want, when they have moved Roy to 5, and got rid of Sibley??

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 3, 2017 1:53 PM

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

August 3 2017, 2:21 PM 

I'm not sure Surrey have ever got the point. If you want youngsters to come through your ranks and succeed, you have to stick with them as they come through and fail. If you're always rushing after the next quick fix, you're sending a message to the players you already have on your books. If we sign an opener or no 3, like Jennings, as some posters have suggested, our own players will get the same message. Clearly there's a balance to be struck. I think our management have been good at it for some years, perhaps since the admission after the Tahir debacle that some late season panic signings overseas had neither succeeded in their own right, nor given the right signals to our own players.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 3 2017, 2:33 PM 

Tahir a good example as he denied Wainwright a game I think.

Then we had the bizarre Harmison loan move

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

August 3 2017, 2:50 PM 

It was perhaps bizarre, but we were desperately short of seam bowling at that time. I think Shazhad had gone, but Brooks and Plunkett had not arrived.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 3 2017, 3:09 PM 

Somewhere in an alternative universe we nearly had an opening attack of Tino Best and Steve harmison.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

August 3 2017, 10:53 PM 

Quite find it poetic for Surrey to lose one of their local talents to a rival test county. Any other club would have nutured and developed young Dom Sibley after scoring a double century at 17.

Instead Surrey take full advantage of London Weighting when it comes to the salary cap, allowing them free reign to sign the best domestic talent in the County Cricket circuit (and South Africa). It's no surprise some counties resort to signing kolpaks in order to enhance their squad strength when Surrey hoard the best talent.

So many decent players in that Surrey squad not playing regular 1st team cricket, it's no wonder Sibley (and Davies last year) wanted to play elsewhere. My sympathies lie with players not being able to fulfil their potential after being wowed by the cash and bright lights of London.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

Ryan Sidebottom

August 4 2017, 11:53 AM 

Ryan Sidebottom has signed for warwickshire for the rest of the season.Before you choke he is an australian seamer. 27 year old been playing club cricket in birmingham league.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk