<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

T20 Blast | Warwickshire vs Yorkshire at Edgbaston (Match Thread)

July 28 2017 at 2:30 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Jul 28, 2017 - North Group at Edgbaston, Birmingham (night)

YORKSHIRE from: Tim Bresnan(capt), Karl Carver, Matthew Fisher, Peter Handscomb (wkt), Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Jack Leaning, Adam Lyth, Shaun Marsh, Steven Patterson, Liam Plunkett, Azeem Rafiq, Adil Rashid, James Wainman, David Willey.

Live Scorecard
Edgbaston Weather
Live Commentary

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Poor forecast

July 28 2017, 7:27 AM 

Looks like one of those frustrating days when everybody goes through the motions, knowing the weather is on the way and a complete washout is almost the certain outcome.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: T20 Blast | Warwickshire vs Yorkshire at Edgbaston (Match Thread)

July 28 2017, 8:02 AM 

Sadly true - at Birmingham and virtually everywhere cricket is being played tonight.
The same seems to be the case for Sunday as well.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

July 28 2017, 8:06 AM 

I can live with it if everyone else gets the same weather and a point each especially with us ahead of the rest. Sunday is disappointing though. Was looking forward to another trip to Trent Bridge.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 28 2017, 8:24 AM 

Plunkett back in the squad is good news for us. Should strengthen us, if we play.

The weather is one of the major factors against having blocked competitions. A poor spell like we are having now and three or four matches can be rained off. Unlikely to happen if the matches are played weekly.

This, along with finance problems for perhaps 2 or 3 home matches in a week for a family of four, are the two major reasons for a preference, for supporters, for an un-blocked competition, as last year.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 28 2017, 9:16 AM 

The crowds at all three home games in the past week were healthy, so I'm not sure that argument stands up. As for the weather, a three hour t20 game is far less likely to be affected than a championship game. Tonight is just one of those things but Sunday looks like sunshine and showers situation.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

July 28 2017, 9:31 AM 

With Plunkett returning it strengthens us in all 3 departments, Sarfraz will also add extra energy when he arrives

Lyth
TKC
Willey
Marsh
Sarfraz
Leaning
Bresnan
Rashid
Plunkett
Rafiq
Patto

That's a top class team

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

July 28 2017, 11:36 AM 

Despite Yorkshire's healthy crowd against Durham there is some evidence that the blocking of the competition is having a negative effect outside London. It's difficult to say, definitively, whether poor weather has been an equal factor but, clearly people are choosing which game out of three in a week to attend.
At Trent Bridge, after an excellent 14,000 crowd for the first game, the sequence of three in a week resulted in disappointing crowds of six to eight thousand. For the past two years, ten thousand plus has been the norm.
Somerset are getting attendances of 6,000 rather than 7,000. Northampton and Sussex are also experiencing some decline.

Whatever the truth of the matter, it seems clear to me that blocking fixtures leaves the programme more vulnerable to bad weather, confuses the customers who prefer a regular pattern and requires most families to make hard decisions about the budget.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

weather

July 28 2017, 1:34 PM 

i will have a £ on not all games don't get called of for rain and the same for sunday ,

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 28 2017, 1:42 PM 

The players and counties wanted a block because they didn't like switching formats Mon to Thurs Cc, T20 on a Fri/Sun. Left them no time to practice T20.

At the half way stage in the North group only 2 matches have been lost to the weather. Any matches lost over this weekend would have been lost under the old format anyway.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 28 2017, 2:31 PM 

I do realise that the players and counties wanted the tournament to be blocked and the reasons for it and fully understand that.

The players and counties want a blocked tournament.

The supporters would prefer a 1 match a week tournament.

At the moment we have neither, as we have a full round of CC matches, starting a week on Sunday, slap bang in the middle of a so called "blocked" tournament.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

July 28 2017, 4:28 PM 

A compromise perhaps?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Maximise the audience

July 28 2017, 4:29 PM 

I know we have to give some credence to what the players have to say but at the end of the day, if they want to play the game professionally, they need to play when people are prepared to pay money to watch.

I'm sure a lot of actors would quite like to drop the matinees, and my working life would have been so much nicer if I could have had every Friday afternoon off, alas it rarely happened.

I'm sitting on the fence because I think a blocked tournament can work, but I also like Friday nights and the odd Sunday game. The evidence seems to be mixed, especially for the clubs who rely so much on T20 income.

We seem to be doing well for spectators this season, but that may have a lot to do with having an excellent T20 team this year.

JG
(Login _JG_)

July 29 2017, 7:41 PM 

The other problem with having a tournament in a block, especially when that block is in the school holidays as it is this year, is if you go on holiday for a week and your team happens to have three home games in that week (as has happened for me this week) then that's nearly half of the season's home fixtures gone- hardly ideal, especially for trying to get kids interested in the sport while they're at an impressionable age...

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk