<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Lehmann-Blewitt scale

July 28 2017 at 11:08 AM

Dave Morton  (Login DaveMorton)

Taking the Celsius temperature scale as my template, I announce a scale for judging Yorkshire's overseas players.

On this scale, (Darren) Lehmann would score 100, which is not a maximum, it's possible to score more, though I can't think of anyone who has, except perhaps Dizzy, as coach. Blewitt would be freezing at zero; Yuvraj Singh I would rate at minus 30, Maxwell below zero, also.

Where would we place Handscomb, now his term is almost over? I would suggest a tepid 15, just a bit warmer than the sea at Scarborough. A pity, because he promised better than that. Perhaps his brilliant stumping against Durham raises him a few degrees?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login Fozzie1973)

Re: The Lehmann-Blewitt scale

July 28 2017, 12:52 PM 

Think you are being harsh on Maxwell having him below zero, he was involved in a game changing partnership in a key game at Scarborough & did ok in the 50 over competition, only one decent knock in the t20 but that can happen, brilliant fielder too

If you are judging Handscomb on the same basis I'd have him below Maxwell, couple of 70's & a 100 in a dead game is all we've really had from him

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

July 28 2017, 12:58 PM 

The big question is where do we rate Imran Tahir?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 28 2017, 1:40 PM 

The Big Show..

T20 batting average 21, SR 155. 12 wickets at 22 also. Expected better but hardly terrible.

50 over he was very good.

CC he wasn't expected to play yet produced one of the best knocks of the season at Scarborough. Also crucial runs at the end of the nervy chase against Middlesex.

I think Glenn must have been docked plenty of degrees for that serious crime of turning up 5 mins late to a 2nd XI match!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 28 2017, 7:06 PM 

Tahir, Yuvraj, Inzaman at the bottom.

Lehmann at the top followed by Martyn, Williamson, Pujara & Bevan.

The rest somewhere in the middle, but this seasons two a lot nearer the bottom than the top. Not impressed by either of the Aussies so far.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 28, 2017 7:07 PM

(Login BrickyardBoy)

July 28 2017, 7:53 PM 

And Tendulkar?

1070 runs in the Championship in his debut season at the age of 19; and playing on a different continent and in conditions he had never seen before.

464 runs in the Sunday League at an average of 38.66, with one never to be forgotten century.

I think I would put him alongside, the often forgotten, Phil Jacques; well ahead of the middle table pack, behind Lehmann, Martyn and Bevan, but pretty close to Williamson. Certainly, as good as Pujara.

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on Jul 28, 2017 8:25 PM

(Login dpressed)

July 28 2017, 10:29 PM 

We joked that it took Yorkshire about a week to turn the world's best T20 batsman (Maxwell) into a typical prodder. But as has been pointed out he did alright in everything but the T20.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

July 29 2017, 7:27 AM 

An honourable mention for Jaques Rudolph.
The circumstances of his departure were hard to accept, but his team contribution over a number of years, in all competitions was excellent.

54 off 24
(Login 54off24)

July 29 2017, 9:49 AM 

What about Miller and Starc? Both would score highly on my chart

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 29 2017, 9:53 AM 

Lehmann top, Bevan second, then daylight. Rudolph wasn't officially an overseas player in this first spell - good player but one of the most indecisive people alive!

(Login dpressed)

July 29 2017, 2:14 PM 

Do we include Lurpacs in this scale? If so Deon Kruis must figure, if only for always giving 100%

JG
(Login _JG_)

July 29 2017, 7:33 PM 

The above verdict on Maxwell must be based on some degree personal bias rather than actual performances for Yorkshire; he was our best player by a distance in the 50 over competition, slightly better than expectations in the the Championship and inconsistent but ultimately disappointing in the T20, admittedly the format for which he was mostly signed but also one that demands extremely high risk batting which can lead to inconsistent results in small sample sizes. He was far better than Finch was that season and could never reasonably be given a negative score: I would say something like 50 overall.

Handscomb? Again, much better than expected in the 50 over comp but poor in the T20 and the Championship, the latter being the format for which he was mostly signed so succeed in that way. I would give him a 30.

We haven't had too many undisputed successes in recent years despite the amount of high-profile signings we've made, or at least not for players that were available for more than 4-6 weeks at a time. The second coming of Jacques is probably the last major success I would say (80), and then back to Miller and Starc, who will always be fondly remembered for their performances in our run to the 2012 T20 final (90 each).

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

July 29 2017, 7:59 PM 

JG knows..

Dave
(Login rognumber)

July 30 2017, 5:39 AM 

What about Younis Khan , from what I remember he was a success . Didn't he do a Ballance- score a double and a century in the same match ?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 30 2017, 10:35 AM 

He did, and on the same ground at Hampshire?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

July 30 2017, 12:25 PM 

Regarding Maxwell: I think it was the sheer horror of his debut at Taunton (photolink below) that led me to my negative judgement. Then, against Middlesex at Headingley, he did his best to lose a game for us, but thankfully the teenage Rhodes kept his head and we scraped home.

Maxwell also cost us a Roses T20 game by missing the stumps from almost point-blank range, and I saw him get a duck for the 2nd XI v Derbyshire at Scarborough.

I did also see his valuable, game-changing innings (with Adil) at Scarborough against Durham, and I was present at New Road for his 50-over ton, too, so yes, perhaps just enough to put him on the positive side of the scale. I would groan with horror if we ever employed him again, though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/18213194630/in/album-72157651512593274/

Looking at that old photo, I see Kohler-Cadmore has inherited the #32 shirt. I thought they might have retired it.

This message has been edited by DaveMorton on Jul 30, 2017 1:28 PM

EastCoastExile
(Login EastCoastExile)

The Lehmann-Blewitt scale

July 30 2017, 2:34 PM 

Dave is right about Maxwell and the Taunton game. I was standing side on for that particular ball. Sadly didn't get the stumps, but the picture of the same dismissal says enough. Gruesome.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125214322@N07/18019732500/in/album-72157649728112654/

I seem to recall some of his bowling in the Middlesex game at Leeds in June 2015 was horrendous but he still took 3 wickets in four overs as well as being hit for five successive boundaries by Rayner.

The other disappointment for me was Aaron Finch, although the 2017 Yearbook shows he averaged 46 in eight CC matches. But only 21 in T20. The attached picture is from the first over of his debut v Northamptonshire.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125214322@N07/15133265956/in/album-72157645009493736/

This message has been edited by EastCoastExile on Jul 30, 2017 2:36 PM

(Login Roundhegian)

July 30 2017, 9:28 PM 

Mercenaries - the shorter the contract on which they are signed, the more disappointing they tend to be.

(Login dpressed)

July 30 2017, 9:33 PM 

Complete twaddle

Damien Martyn only played 2 first class matches (& 3 innings) yet was brilliant & Matthew Elliot was only a short term replacement after Darren Lehmann left us in 2002 (5 Championship average 54 & 6 limited overs games) yet did very well

This message has been edited by dpressed on Jul 30, 2017 9:45 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 31 2017, 7:11 AM 

Not quite complete twaddle when you think of Morkel Tahir Inzaman who played about one game each on average and were very much complete twaddle for us.

Lehmann is off the scale and shouldn't be included as the daylight between him and the next in the rankings will distort the scale.

Whilst only hear for one summer with t20 focus my next highest would be Miller and Starc with Williamson Younus and Bevan after that.

Blewett Richardson and Yuvraj would be the bottom 3 for those playing over a handful of games. Although Dizzy as a player might not be too high.....

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk