<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

Re: T20 Blast | Nottinghamshire vs Yorkshire at Trent Bridge (Match Thread)

July 30 2017, 4:54 PM 

After the flying start we had, our total was rather disappointing but they have gone about the chase very impressively. Maybe we thought the game was won when we bowled seamers first, three of whom can be very expensive and not so good at varying the pace. Notts should coast home from here with 8 wickets in hand and Hales already with a ton.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Hats off to them

July 30 2017, 4:54 PM 

Looks like a fantastic wicket and they have played to their strength which is Hales chasing.

We needed to get him early and I'm sure the outcome would have been different, although it's not over yet of course.

Good entertainment for the home crowd.

JG
(Login _JG_)

July 30 2017, 5:08 PM 

I don't think 223 in a T20 match can ever reasonably be described as "rather disappointing"; some people's expectations are totally unrealistic it seems. Hales is a superb batsman, one of the best white ball batsmen in world cricket in my opinion, and unfortunately we've caught him on the wrong day- not for the first time.

There could yet be a close finish though- 14/2 in the last 3 overs, 35 needed off the last three!

JG
(Login _JG_)

July 30 2017, 5:11 PM 

...or maybe not after those three consecutive 6s!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 30 2017, 5:25 PM 

A bit of a comeback towards the end - well at least we took it to the final over. I honestly thought they would win with 5 or 6 overs spare, the way Hales was playing.

Not to much damage done as some of the sides up near the top with us also lost.

But does it matter anyway, as we are playing "away" if we finish top, second, third, or fourth.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 30, 2017 5:28 PM

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

July 30 2017, 5:31 PM 

Fair enough. Well played Notts and Hales. The usual experts will, and are, attacking our bowlers (on social media, not here, I hasten to add) but we're not the first to fail defending good score at Trent Bridge against Hales and co and we won't be the last. The table looks very bunched up now which I can't work out is a good thing or not in terms of how many games we need to win. Two more? Three? Don't give a **** where we finish as long as we qualify, for obvious reasons.

This message has been edited by twelthman on Jul 30, 2017 5:32 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Decent crowd

July 30 2017, 5:33 PM 

I hope they had a decent crowd and it won't have done any damage to the tournament. On any given day one very good performance can turn the match in T20.

Looking forward to an outing to Headingley on Thursday to see how we go against Derbyshire.

If whoever is in charge of the weather can cooperate I'd like a nice sunny and warm evening please.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

July 30 2017, 5:56 PM 

agree with the comments

if hales has a wonder day like that little you can do

as superb as his batting has been I am not sure we can continue with willey opening the bowling or at the death

without swing he has neither the pace or variation to be effective - he is easy hittin

winning T20 tends to come down to the best bowling attack as all teams have strong batting line ups and this is an area we need to improve on - that is the only area in a superb season of T20 to date but we need to aim to win this

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

First over

July 30 2017, 6:35 PM 

I quite like to see a spinner bowl the first over.

A few counties use it as a routine ploy so it isn't a total surprise, but it often seems to give teams something to think about. If Rashid was bowling it I think it could be a very useful ploy for us.

Willey for England and Bresnan for Yorkshire have been great bowling the first four overs in the past, but there's no early swing at all this season.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

July 30 2017, 6:37 PM 

In my opinion, what we lack in our bowling for T20 is a "stock" medium pacer who can vary pace eg like Pyrah provided. The two slow bowlers are good but Willey, Bresnan and Plunkett offer two many boundary balls. FIsher is better new ball option and after some promising appearances, Waite has not been selected. IMHO, we are rather predictable and it seems that Moxon and Gale are prone to stick with the old timers rather than include youngsters like Fisher and Coad in this form of cricket.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 30 2017, 6:46 PM 

9 times out of ten, you will win getting 223 batting first in a T20 match. Unfortunately for us today, Notts had Hales in their side, so we got the 10th time. When he plays like that, there are not many sides who can counter that, however well you bowl, although we could have bowled a bit better.

Perhaps we could try a spinner in the first over like most other sides do, and save Willey for the middle overs, as he is in-effective when the ball does not swing.

Still well placed to qualify, three wins from our last five should "seal the deal".

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Jul 30, 2017 6:55 PM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

July 30 2017, 6:55 PM 

Alibor - Waite is injured, and surely Patto is filling the pace-off seamer role. Our attack reflects the balance of most attacks. And we're actually playing very well!

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

July 30 2017, 7:15 PM 

Think the question for Alibor is who we leave out. Not England T20 first choice players Plunkett and Willey and not captain Bresnan. I just don't see how Coad or Fisher gets in our side.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

July 31 2017, 3:07 AM 

It was a great match. Yorkshire set a very good total which would be more than enough more often than not. Yes after the start we got Yorkshire could have been on for a massive score. Notts played very well and deserved the win. Hales was outstanding. Notts would have chased down any total on that performance.

But as it's been pointed out as long as we qualify it doesn't matter where we finish in the table. We won't have a home tie.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

July 31 2017, 9:53 AM 

I suppose it must have been a great game, but not my cup of tea - regardless of the result. 450 runs in 40 overs lacks the balance that makes cricket for me. Boundaries, bats, pitches, what ever, I think we're getting something wrong. Would football be a better game if we banned goalkeepers, trebled the size of the goals, and had scores of 32-29? More 'entertaining' maybe, and there would be muppets on Sky telling us so. The women's world cup games were better for me, because the relative lack of power redressed the balance between bat and ball and reintroduced some tension (not quite the same as excitement/entertainment). The Yorkshire game in this year's competition I'd have liked to see was the Durham one, where the lower scores put some emphasis back on the bowlers, who needed to take wickets.

I'm not a t20 'denier'. I hope we win it, and we need the money and the new/younger crowds. Just doesn't grip me the same way really. Looking forward to Monday, a 'proper' game in the best of all settings.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 31 2017, 10:21 AM 

Agreed and as a direct comparison England won the World Cup final with a similar score from 50 overs that we got from 20 yesterday and still lost. Which game was more exciting, balanced and gave bowlers a chance?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 31 2017, 10:40 AM 

Idleman - Hopefully you meant Sunday, or you will miss the first day!

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

July 31 2017, 10:56 AM 

Having to travel Sunday. Don't know when I'll get there. Looking forward to it anyway!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk