<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Paul Allott

July 30 2017 at 11:05 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

Sad news that Paul Allot has been appointed director of cricket for Lancashire.

Unfortunately he will no longer be available to do his brilliant commentary for Sky.

Perhaps he can find a job for his mate Freddie at Old Trafford too.

This message has been edited by Coastalview on Jul 31, 2017 9:43 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Paul Allot

July 31 2017, 7:07 AM 

Sadly it's more likely to mean we get more of Freddie on Sky as they will be one man down.

Or a chance for Sky to further diversify and bring in another female commentator on the same salary as the men of course.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

July 31 2017, 8:10 AM 

They will not be able to afford any replacement, after the amount they must have spent on the new suits for all the presenters!! I have often wondered where my Sky fee goes, now I know.

More like a fashion show now. Why do thy have to look like mannequins on the cat-walk, whats wrong with casual wear?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 31 2017, 8:37 AM 

By the way it's Allott not Allot as the missing t make a lot of difference.

He still holds the record for the streakiest test fifty I ever saw although Jennings nearly beat it yesterday

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

Allott

July 31 2017, 9:36 AM 

To be fair I think Allott's role at Sky was ever dwindling with more and more new faces.When I first got Sky he was there main commentator for Tests with Bob Willis whereas now he commentates on the odd County T20/RL Cup game and presents Cricket Writers.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

July 31 2017, 11:08 AM 

Let's hope all the cricketing knowledge and expertise he has displayed on Sky carries across to his stewardship of Lancashire.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

July 31 2017, 11:26 AM 

I sat next to Paul for a couple of days in Mumbai (England won, Flintoff captain, Strauss runs, Udal wickets). He was in charge of a tour party of which I was not a member. Nice man.

Also a proud man, with some steel, as you would expect from a successful sportsman. It struck me then, and I get the same impression watching Cricket Writers, that he is a good listener - a quality that is rare and which should make him successful in his new role.

DW
(Login Bergenopzoom)

Stuart Broad

July 31 2017, 1:35 PM 

Sky are lining up Stuart Broad to step in once he retires

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

July 31 2017, 2:23 PM 

"that he is a good listener "

Much better than he speaks I would imagine!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

July 31 2017, 2:41 PM 

I'd defend Allott too and saw him as an after dinner speaker a few years back where most of the time he got the laughs taking the mickey out of himself.

I'd take him over several of the other sky boys with their hyperbole and giddy excitement

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

July 31 2017, 3:09 PM 

Fair enough, only met him briefly but he does let his bias show through when playing us.

BTW, did anyone hear the TMS wind uo on Sir Geoff earlier today?

https://www.facebook.com/testmatchspecial/videos/10155565558424904/?comment_id=10154596310081890&notif_t=like&notif_id=1501509946502884

This message has been edited by legglance on Jul 31, 2017 3:11 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

July 31 2017, 7:52 PM 

I have no comment on Allot as a person, but he's a ludicrously biased commentator so I will certainly not miss his commentary on Yorkshire or Lancashire matches. Interesting move to bring in someone who has been out of the hands-on side of the game for so long as Director of Cricket.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

July 31 2017, 9:05 PM 

"Sky are lining up Stuart Broad to step in once he retires"

Thought it was James Anderson?

Re the Boycott wind-up - it was highly amusing. They did well to keep a straight face.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Name right

July 31 2017, 9:57 PM 

Done my duty and corrected his name.

I've never met the man nor had the pleasure of sitting next to him on tour. I'm sure he's perfectly charming.

Being a rubbish commentator, or a rubbish anything else, doesn't naturally preclude you from being a nice man.

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

Re: Paul Allott

August 1 2017, 3:47 PM 

Speaking of sky commentators, which we are kind if, anyone know why Charles Colvielle and the "Verdict" is not what it was......

Nick Compton comes across very well in the Radio

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Re: Paul Alott

August 1 2017, 7:21 PM 

Harrogateyorkie - answer re Charles Colville probably here (3rd item down):-http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-4737278/Oval-makes-case-two-England-Tests-summer-2020.html

(Login tbsteve)

August 1 2017, 7:30 PM 

Thanks York Tyke

that's interesting - only 6 tests from 2020 and the writer suggesting Lords 2, Oval, TB and Edgebaston 1 each, leaving OT and Headingly to fight it out and CLS, RB, Cardiff out of pocket!

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 2 2017, 8:01 AM 

To be fair his comment about Edgbaston and Trent Bridge "deserving" a Test a year are just his personal opinion; it's my opinion that having half of the Test programme in London and a third at Lord's is unjustifiable. Besides, I think we've learn from experience that being guaranteed a Test a year doesn't necessarily mean you'll make much money from them- it matters what match it is.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 2 2017, 8:24 AM 

Agree, I don`t see any reason why TB & Edgbaston "deserve" a test match every year. Also wrong that Lords get 2 out of 6 and London 3 out of 6. The article was also wrong in stating it was a full house at the Oval, it did not look 1/2 full on some days.

It will be a big blow to Headingleys finances and the 23m debt we are in (at the moment -going up to 43m shortly) if Headingley are only going to get 1 test match every two years. The clubs whole business plan is based on at least one test per year.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 2, 2017 8:32 AM

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Re: Paul Alott

August 2 2017, 11:48 AM 

I think Colin Graves has said that post 2020 when the new situation comes into being (city based T20 comp, reduction to 6 tests per season etc) he wants to go back to the old system of having counties bid to have a staging agreement to stage international matches at their grounds for a fixed period (perhaps 3 or 5 years).

The criteria for getting a staging agreement would move away from just how much money you could guarantee giving to the ECB but would include quality of pitches, spectator capacity and facilities (for spectators and players) etc. This is one of the reasons why the new football stand at Headingley is so crucial.

The number of grounds handed a staging agreement (for staging test matches) would reduce to 6 but with Lords getting 2 tests each year the ground to miss out would probably be guaranteed 2 ODI's (1 each against the 2 touring teams as in the old days). The 3 current test grounds which missed out on a test staging agreement would probably be able to stage the odd ODI or T20 international.

Every time the staging agreement period was up there would be another bidding process in which any of the grounds which had previously had a staging agreement but failed to meet the laid down criteria could be dropped from the rota in favour of another ground. The criteria for getting a staging agreement at each new bidding point could be more stringent thus encouraging grounds which wish to stage international cricket to continually improve their facilities.

This is essentially how the system worked before the current model.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk