<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Today

August 1 2017 at 8:09 AM
Egham Tyke  (Login Davetyke)

Happy Yorkshire Day to one and all. May all your ale be good and all your puddings risen !

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ExiledinNotts)

Re: Today

August 1 2017, 8:21 AM 

Aye Happy Yorkshire Day to all my brother/sister Tykes out there

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 1 2017, 8:26 AM 

And typically no bloody cricket on Yorkshire day. Surely our game on Thursday could have been played today as part of the celebrations!

I've just read an article on the business website saying Yorkshire is deserving of its own mayor and independence .

No doubt we'll get Dickie Bird in the role....

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 1 2017, 8:36 AM 

Am I the only one who always associates Yorkshire Day with the C and G trophy Final at Lords.....?

And someone is now going to correct me and tell that it wasn't Yorkshire Day and my memory has been wrong all of these years..

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

For one day only

August 1 2017, 8:49 AM 

There is an 'event' this evening at the refurbished facility in Bradford but no cricket match as such that I know of.

Perhaps we can do better next year.

We've had adverts for lots of events locally for over the weekend, the 29th and 30th of July. I can see how convenient it is but it's not a trend I like to see.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 1 2017, 10:12 AM 

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

August 1 2017, 11:03 AM 

Happy Yorkshire day to everyone. And happy birthday to me.

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Re : Today

August 1 2017, 11:41 AM 

Steve - A memorable game (watched with friends from the Edrich Upper Stand) made perfect By Matt Elliot's brilliant innings, but for me the most vivid memory of that day remains the catch by Michael Vaughan to dismiss Marcus Trescothick - stunning!
The previous visit to Lord's (watched from the same stand) was the Final against Gloucestershire - not a good day but it was on Yorkshire Day in 1999.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 1 2017, 11:49 AM 

Aha.
Well i was at both Finals and in my usual state of optimism I've forgotten all about our loss in 1999 and combined both Finals into one very happy memory....!

I enjoyed both finals very much - you still see some of the die-hards wearing the free C and G hats that were distributed .
When Vaughan caught Tresco i knew we'd win the game.
I have a memory of standing on my chair and cheering - which is frankly hard to imagine now.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 1 2017, 12:02 PM 

Happy Birthday Gavin, and Happy Yorkshire day to everyone.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

August 1 2017, 1:38 PM 

went to the reading of the yorkshire declaration in redcar,north riding, with the mayor in attendance. very moving speech, if a bit incongruous, being read in a brummie accent. but with his yorkshire cc cap with white rose, he insisted his heart was yorkshire.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

August 1 2017, 1:42 PM 

Thanks is Stu. A Yorkshireman born on Yorkshire day could it be any better.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

August 1 2017, 1:50 PM 

The Lords finals in my time have been '87, '99 and 2002. Attended all three.

87 is my favourite cricketing day every and by a long way. It was the perfect day.

99 is very forgettable. Poor crowd, I had a disappointing seat in the bottom of the grandstand, we played way below par and were well beaten by a well drilled Gloucester side.

02 is good but not as good as 87. I was in the upper Compton, decent view and a relatively comfortable win. If ever the phrase 'catches win matches' had meaning it was that day. Although an Elliott hundred and good runs from Mags and Vaughan played a part.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 1 2017, 9:13 PM 

Channel 4 marking Yorkshire Day with series of repeats including, strangely, a Time Team special about the Battle of Bosworth. What that's got to do with Yorkshire I'm not sure at all.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Today

August 1 2017, 11:43 PM 

The Battle of Bosworth Field (1485), marked the end of the so called 'War of the Roses'. The Plantagenet (Yorkist) king, Richard III lost his crown to the Lancastrian usurper, Henry Tudor. His defeat was due in no small part to the treacherous Stanleys. They promised to support the Yorkist cause, but decided instead to wait and see before joining in decisively for Henry.
So the Yorkshire link is clear but hardly a cause for celebration on Yorkshire Day.
As we know, cricket matches between the two counties are especially hard fought, with considerable pride at stake.
The PR team at Headingley have, in my view, trivialized the home fixture by dubbing it 'Game of Roses'.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk