<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: T20 Blast | Yorkshire vs Derbyshire at Leeds (Match Thread)

August 3 2017, 9:53 PM 

I wonder if we even bother checking the weather radar too..

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 3 2017, 10:15 PM 

Our results aside, I'm pleased to see the likes of Derbyshire and Northants doing well to prove a point to the ECB, as they are the counties that will lose out when the new competition starts.

This message has been edited by twelthman on Aug 3, 2017 10:16 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 3 2017, 10:30 PM 

Incredibly frustrating match tonight.

Batting-wise, Yorkshire sparked at various points without ever really catching fire. Kohler-Cadmore, Willey and Sarfraz were probably the most fluent but each got out just when they looked to set to dominate. Lyth did well to give the strike to KC and Willey but got out to a dreadful, nothing shot; Marsh struggled to get the ball away- the dot ball from the last ball of the innings probably summed up his night. Derbyshire bowled fairly well, especially the two spinners, while their seamers varied their pace well.

Our seamers started off well, with both Derbyshire openers throwing the bat at the ball but rarely connecting. Godleman got them going with a top-edged 6 over first slip, which pretty much summed his innings up too. I don't think I've ever seen a more fortunate half century: if you produced a wagon wheel of his runs at least half must have come between fine leg and third man. Madsen batted better, with some inventive shots against the spinners and good placement to keep the scoreboard ticking over constantly, but wasn't without luck either. From our perspective, Rashid bowled very well without any luck (more on that later), similarly Bresnan and Patterson were impressive. Rafiq's performance was strange; he bowled a very costly no ball on his first over, came back well in his second but was then poor again in his third.

It's quite easy to sit and home and criticise the captaincy but watching the game I would say I only disagreed with Bresnan on two occasions: when he kept Willey on for a third over after his second was a lot worse than his first and when he brought Willey back with Madsen and Godleman going well; on the first occasion Willey's third over was very expensive so I was arguably proven correct, however in the second occasion Willey broke the partnership and only went for 7 runs so Bresnan was definitely proven right. The other possibly controversial decision was bringing back Rashid to bowl the 18th over, which ultimately went for two 6s and probably decided the game, but that could have turned out very differently with the first ball flicking Madsen's bat and being so close to going on to the stumps, while later in the over Wilson would have been stumped had the ball not caught his pad and diverted away from Sarfraz with him well out of his ground. These are close judgement calls and could quite easily have gone the other way.

It was one of those games where you felt Derbyshire were always slightly on top but hope was still tantalisingly there. There were a few sliding doors moments at the end: Carver could only deflect a guide to third man for 4 when a single would have left them needing 2 a ball; a flick went for four about a foot over Rashid's head at square leg when a taller fielder would have caught it; those two near wickets in Rashid's over; even in the last over the six off the first ball just snuck over at long on and would have been caught had the man not just been brought up to mid-on. If any of these had gone our way it could have been a different outcome.

As I say, very frustrating...

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Aug 3, 2017 11:06 PM

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

August 3 2017, 11:06 PM 

Fine analysis of today's proceedings JG, thanks for sharing.

I felt Yorkshire would have posted 200+ had Willey not went after Tahir as he wasn't particularly threatening with the ball. This would have allowed Willey to get his eye in and have a go at Cotton/Hughes.

Bowling Rashid in the 18th over was an eyeriser at a time when Yorkshire's seamers reined it in, more so when Fisher is usually reliable at the death.

A massive response is needed from the players tomorrow if Yorkshire are serious of playing in the knockouts.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 3 2017, 11:11 PM 

As the return of the CC draws closer, the mood around the club darkens again, not only back to back defeats putting our progress in the T20 in severe doubt, but injuries too. No Marsh, Brook or Ballance for the Essex match and Plunkett is a doubt as well.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 3 2017, 11:14 PM 

I do, however, agree with the point about our strategy of batting first. T20 cricket has totally changed around these days, with chasing the preferred strategy for most teams. This can be seen very clearly in the IPL, with 69% of teams winning the toss in the last three IPL seasons choosing to chase and 58% of matches being won by the side batting second, with this trend being mirrored across almost all T20 cricket as described in the below article. So why do we continue to stick with the outdated, traditional bat-first strategy?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/1079598.html

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 3 2017, 11:18 PM 

Once they started their innings, it always looked comfortable for them. At the end of every over, they were always ahead on D/L. 180 was never going to be enough.

Just have to win tomorrow now, or it will be win our last 3 to qualify.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 3 2017, 11:25 PM 

In T20 alone, out last win batting second was a dead rubber against Warwickshire in 2015! I have no problem at all with our preference for batting first. Our bowlers just need, to use a horrible modern term, to "execute their skills" more consistently, particularly in tight games like tonight and Sunday.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 3 2017, 11:31 PM 

Yeah we've generally done well batting first, have to be prepared to move away from plan A though at times, especially with rain around.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

August 3 2017, 11:41 PM 

bowling with a wet ball throughout the derby innings was a massive disadvantage. even then we had no luck at all, though you could argue we should have batted second.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 4 2017, 7:50 AM 

The fact we haven't won batting second since 2015 isn't as significant as it sounds since we have only batted second on four occasions since then. The problem this season has been closing out the tight games- if you just look at the Derbyshire matches for instance, last season we beat them by one run in each match whereas this season we have lost by 3 runs and with 3 balls remaining- that's a swing of 4pts straight away. If we're failing to close out the close games bowling second while our strength is in the batting why not give the batsmen the chance to do so?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Wickets in hand

August 4 2017, 8:27 AM 

Lots of bad luck for us and lots of good luck for them is one way of looking at last nights match.

JG gave an excellent summary but I felt we lost because we didn't appear to be trying hard enough to get the highest number of runs we could during our 20 overs.

The settling for singles and not pushing for two's is not as obvious as it used to be but the lack of any imaginative shots or real intent during the last 10 overs was very familiar.

I think it was a 200 pitch and if we'd got it we would have had enough runs spare to ride a few bits of bad luck.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 4 2017, 9:51 AM 

I certainly agree about your inventive shots; Madsen brought this home with a reverse swept 4 from the first ball he faced, after Yorkshire didn't play a single reverse sweep all innings. To me it didn't look like the easiest pitch to hit through the line with pace off the ball and Derbyshire were definitely better at manoeuvring the ball into the gaps than we were.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

August 4 2017, 10:26 AM 

Lots of ways of analysing things I suppose. In the end, the game is about scoring runs and then taking wickets/keeping run rates down when the opposition bat. I would suggest in this game (and other recent ones), we can look at Willey's expensive bowling (consistently expensive this season), and Marsh batting at only seven runs per over throughout the comp. Yes, Willey's batting has allowed Marsh to play second fiddle in some of the games, but surely yesterday was an occasion when another 20 runs from Marsh, could have made the difference. You could argue that Marsh is there to score quick runs as an international class batsman, when others are struggling to do so.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

August 4 2017, 11:55 AM 

the bang on the head wo,nt have helped yesterday.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 4 2017, 12:02 PM 

Possibly not, but in that case why carry on batting?

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk