<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login alwayswalk)

Re: 4th Test | England vs South Africa at Old Trafford (Match Thread)

August 5 2017, 8:30 PM 

I will be surprised if JB isn't back batting at 5 once Woakes is fit, England would have gone in the summer with a 5-8 order of Johnny, Stokes, Ali and Woakes but Woakes injury problems have given them a problem and they have been trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Everybody knows when they played the 2nd spinner it should have been Adil or any other wicket taking spinner but they pick Dawson, then when that didn't work and the top order struggles they go with an extra batsman.

If Woakes is fit for the ashes or even the windies it gives England an attack of 5 seamers and a spinner and 8 batsman and if Woakes plays you would think they are more likely to play a more attacking spinner if they need 2.

This message has been edited by alwayswalk on Aug 5, 2017 8:31 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Have to agree

August 6 2017, 9:28 AM 

Lots of differing opinion on where JB should bat but I think he's a natural at 5 for England in this team, even more so when Woakes returns.

If the selectors can find a reliable opening partner for Cook and a solid No3 then it might need a re-think.

Not sure there are any such creatures out there at the moment.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 6 2017, 11:12 AM 

The voids left by Strauss Bell and Trott have never been filled and we are still no nearer.

Bowlers come and go and another one comes off the production line. Batsmen not quite as easy.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 6 2017, 1:50 PM 

Agree with preceding post. I don't know where the batsmen are to come in to replace them, but Jennings, Malan and Westley do not look the part for me. And this Test is not won yet. Bell-Drummond the only one with possible Test potential I can think of who could be worth a try.
All three of above have now failed again second time around. 294 is highest Test run chase at OT.

This message has been edited by NewBrian on Aug 6, 2017 2:09 PM

Dean
(Login Yorkyspur78)

August 6 2017, 2:33 PM 

Jennings and Malan not good enough at test level. I think Westley has something about him to succeed

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 6 2017, 3:19 PM 

I wonder if they picked the wrong Essex batsman - Dan Lawrence might ultimately make a Test player. He certainly has potential at just 20.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

The search goes on

August 6 2017, 8:46 PM 

I haven't caught up with highlights yet but the scores of the 3 apprentices don't look good once again.

Some talk England are picking players who fit in well in the dressing room.

They are certainly picking 3 here who are spending a lot of time in it.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 6 2017, 9:14 PM 

We may as well go back to Hales to open and at least if he comes off it will be entertaining and give us a flier.

Stoneman at 3 and then move stokes Ali and Bairstow up a spot and bring in Woakes

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

August 7 2017, 7:37 AM 

I'm not sure I can see the point of a fifth seamer.

It's worrying. I would guess Westley will stay at 3. Malan should go now. They can't afford him to get some easier runs against the WI and thus be on board for the Ashes. There is then a vacancy at 5. And the best man is....

Alternatively you move the all-rounders up and pick a second spinner. That could be Adil. However Ali, with all his genuine qualities, is probably better with a partner who gives more control, if there is such a thing.

It could work out very badly for us.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 7 2017, 9:16 AM 

I wouldn't worry about him being a fifth seamer. He'd get in for his batting alone above our top order failures.

Bairstow not content with fielding for England is now helping out the daggers too. Great catch to dismiss Ali...!

Papag
(Login Papag1)

August 7 2017, 11:31 AM 

Very poor crowd today can see the ECB just using Lords eventually or is it that there are just so many domestic games tests /50 overs/and the 20 over slog they are becoming less meaningless and an attraction nowadays.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

August 7 2017, 3:48 PM 

These 2 are showing some fight, and both look well settled

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 7 2017, 4:22 PM 

Well bowled Egham.

Good to see one Yorkshireman performing!

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

August 7 2017, 11:02 PM 

Top run scorers (including both teams) in the four test series between England and South Africa? Joe Root followed by Jonny Bairstow.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

A few good men

August 8 2017, 9:11 AM 

Bit of a lesson for Yorkshire here, you can win matches even if 3 of your top 5 are out of form/useless depending on your view.

You do though need a few good men in there and that is what we are missing.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 8 2017, 11:14 PM 

Yes, England reliant on their lower middle order digging them out of a few holes, as Yorkshire were in 2015 and 2016- unfortunately our lower middle order have joined our top order in going missing this time round...

I actually think England have the balance right at the moment: why would we need a fifth seamer when Stokes only bowled 12 overs in the entire match anyway? Sometimes it is possible for the captain to have too many options which ends up diluting the effect of the best bowlers. The batting clearly needs addressing, with Jennings and Malan palpably short of the standard required for Test cricket, but while I'm not totally convinced by Westley I think he's worth a longer run. My changes would be Stoneman or Hameed into open and then a younger batsman who they think has the class to ultimately prosper in Test cricket- Clarke, Lawrence, Davies?- to bat 7, with Stokes and Bairstow each moving up a place.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk