<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Momentum

August 5 2017 at 9:29 PM
LUTyke  (Login Y4EV)

We've seen Gale tweet about it but I think this is the main factor where he and the team are falling short. In both the CC and the T20 we had a good first 6/7 games but once one game is lost you then anticipate another then another until the situation becomes a crisis we just can't fix. Under Gillespie if we were ever in trouble (which was actually not uncommon) you could always rely on 1 or 2 heroes to dig us out of it. This has been completely lost under Gale, he needs to find a way to arrest the slump otherwise if he had any pride he will resign at the end of this campaign.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

Re: Momentum

August 6 2017, 9:28 AM 

This is a problem that has bedevilled Yorkshire particularly in the T20 ever since it began. We either get on a run of victories or a run of defeats. We seem incapable of being able to win immediately after we have lost a game. As you say it is a problem that needs addressing otherwise our hopes of winning competitions will continue to be dashed.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

August 6 2017, 9:41 AM 

Think we must also give captain Gale a bit of credit for our successes over the last four seasons too! We assume that if JG had stayed everything would have been rosy. I'm not sure that is the case.

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 6 2017, 11:24 AM 

I think towards the latter end of Gillespie's tenure, the cracks were already there in regard to our batting issues. Gale has been unfortunate in some ways to have inherited this gradual decline. I appreciate Gale's success as a captain, but doubt whether this success will transfer to his role as coach.

Otley
(Login Otley)

August 7 2017, 12:27 AM 

I would call it "Slowmentum" as it had been building for some time but the decline is starting to become exponential. We were lulled somewhat by our second Championship win when most opponents were intimidated into defeat before we started and our bowling really was the best around. Even then our batting was usually rescued by one or two heroes rather than the Tour de force of Championship season one. Last year showed real signs to worry about and I suspect Dizzy really did see them and was astute enough to bale out.

None of us can be sure from a distance but there just seems to be a lack of spirit and togetherness about the squad. Why is our fielding so increasingly lacklustre? I fear the T20 finals day last year was a turning point. Our internationals were parachuted in and Joe Root, in particular, appeared to be fooling about when members of the squad who had toiled to get us there and for whom it would have been a career highlight were sidelined and possibly disenchanted. At about the same time (Old Trafford?), Alex Lees who had been a more than competent 1st slip was suddenly replaced there by Bres (who I notice wasn't at slip today for the first time since) and banished to a fielding position where his lack of mobility has been more noteworthy (many other teams have much more rotund players but don't expose them at point). It has almost seemed that he is ostracised from the rest of the squad at times and a slip in his batting form is in danger of becoming terminal decline. He was our skipper on that finals day remembers! I don't think we did him or the squad any favours there either. To me he was a quality 4 day opener and potential long term captain but as white ball captain he had to be picked and has ruined his form trying to play a game that is not natural for him and the criticism he has had as a result seems to have screwed his thinking. There are a few others - Leaning, Willey most obviously - whose roles across the formats seem unclear and form (Willey's recent batting excluded) has suffered. At the same time we have not had the steadying influence of a reliable overseas player for the last three years. Even just someone who spends a whole season with us would be nice! Ok we have been unlucky with a couple but why pick so many potential Aussie squad men? Do we need to bite the bullet on a seasoned Kolpaks? Another game started today with no overseas player turning out for us and Amir and Ten Doeschate the star turns for our opponents following on from Sangakkara, Abbott, Chanderpaul and others.

Since that T20 finals day, we had a poor late September, losing our last 2 CC matches. We then made it 3 in a row when we never looked like stopping Hants chase a big total. We are regularly being out bowled this season, where would we be without the unexpected breakthrough of Ben Coad? The only bright spot of the season along with Gary Ballance's batting (and then he did that too well and got himself picked for England!). Wins against a woeful Warwicks, a very poor Lancs and a choking Somerset mean we may be lucky enough to avoid relegation, but it's hard to see where the 40 or 50 more points needed to be safe will come from. 13 from the last 3 and no batting points again today! Our fielding and catching have also been on a downward spiral. In white ball cricket we have had some good wins based on good batting but, whether batting first or second, we often have a poor last over and our bowling changes seem unimaginative. Last week Derbyshire needed 10 off the last over against us and did it with 2 balls to spare (think we got 5 in our last over) then next day we needed 10 against Durham and never really looked like we thought we could do it.

I will always support Yorkshire through "thick or thin" and am quite looking forward to visiting a few real cricket grounds rather than soulless Test Match bowls next year if the worst happens but I would like to see us mirror the fight Somerset put up at Scarborough when faced with adversity.

(Login dpressed)

August 7 2017, 6:55 PM 

Thanks Otley but I have to disagree with one point. Less got moved out of the slips because he was dropping too many chanes

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk