<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dean
(Login Yorkyspur78)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Essex at Scarborough (Day One)

August 6 2017, 2:29 PM 

Totally agree about Gale being a cheap option. I've got no confidence in Lees or Leaning regaining any sort of form. Time to see if our bowlers can produce something

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

Batting

August 6 2017, 2:43 PM 

TKC has only just started, it's harsh to say he's not good enough. Lees needs competition, can Brook open? I think even if Ballance came back we need 2 batsmen in the middle order, one to keep wicket. Leaning must be close to last chance saloon.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 6 2017, 3:21 PM 

Can't face checking the score but judging by the silence on here I'm guessing that wickets aren't tumbling for them. Strange that.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 6 2017, 3:23 PM 

I've only just noticed that Ryan Sidebottom is playing for Warwicks.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 6 2017, 3:40 PM 

Essex 3 down

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

August 6 2017, 3:41 PM 

Good response so far from our bowlers. The problem with such a low total is that one decent partnership for Essex will effectively take the game away from us.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 6 2017, 4:40 PM 

Bowlers still chipping away.

(Login tbsteve)

August 6 2017, 4:52 PM 

to be fair all the other first div games are in a similar state. will the pitch inspectors be visiting everywhere?

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 6 2017, 5:09 PM 

Well the seamers bowled pretty well before tea interval but why are the coach and captain so reluctant to try Rashid before big stands develop? The game is in danger of slipping away this session. We are not looking likely to take wicket despite cloud cover. Well done young Coad to make break through - he has been the best of our seamers in this innings. We need their captain now.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Aug 6, 2017 5:52 PM

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Match Day 1

August 6 2017, 5:39 PM 

At the moment our front 2 bowlers (Siddy and Brooks) have bowled 20 overs between them for 0-85 and second 2 ( Bresnan and Coad) 20 overs 2-42. I rather thought that our first 2 would be rusty after such a long lay off. Maybe they will come into it later- Coad gets another as I type. My first wicket this season.

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Match Day 1

August 6 2017, 5:42 PM 

And another as I posted the above- does that count as my second?

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Match Day 1

August 6 2017, 5:47 PM 

And yet another- c'mon Yorkshire.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 6 2017, 5:52 PM 

Some effort from the bowlers.

Dean
(Login Yorkyspur78)

August 6 2017, 5:57 PM 

I noticed that too Brian. Ryan must be shattered playing for us and Warwickshire. At least the bowlers have showed some fight this afternoon. Being a Yorkshire fan living in London when all my friends are Essex fans wasn't fun this morning

This message has been edited by Yorkyspur78 on Aug 6, 2017 7:33 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 6 2017, 7:46 PM 

So an eventful day out at the seaside which began by me waking up and noticing my car had a flat tyre. Fortunately the wife was away and her car on the drive so a quick swap, a realisation that my wife manages to drive around the county on empty so I needed to fill up and then a battle with the A64 including a charity event at the Dogs Trust and numerous VW camper vans who must have been at a convention.

The usual turnstile turmoil with three queues for members, OAPs and the commoners. OAP queue was minimal and the turnstile saw little activity whilst the queue for the rest of us went down the ginnel and round the block.

In just as the umpires wandered out and managed to get a seat below the scorers box behind the bowlers arm. A summary of the wickets in the morning session which will take longer to type than it did fir them to fall.

Lees looked utterly clueless facing Amir and it was a matter of time before one did for him. He had played and missed several times and then inside edged one to pad which looped to second slip.

Brook wandered out looking like a boy in a mans world and doesn't look like the imposing figure you want at number 3 against one of the best bowlers in the world. One nice cover drive followed by a clever delivery from Porter that was slightly shorter with Brook naively playing the same shot and nicking to the keeper. Poor shot selection from a young man who should learn from it.

Next was Kohler Cadmore who also played a lovely drive for four through extra cover and then having upset Amir by doing so saw his stumps splattered by a fuller delivery with his foot movement minimal.

Cue Leaning who learned from the previous two dismissals and didn't hit a four, but instead got away with an inside edge to fine leg to get off the mark. But then he too succumbed to a well pitched up delivery and nicked to Foster. Poor shot selection again.

Bresnan was sawn off and clearly unhappy but managed to just about contain his anger although a long lingering look at his bat as he walked off told its own story.

Rashid played some wristy shots but again didn't knuckle down and was plumb lbw to Bopara. I reckon the umpire gave it out partly due to a massive lbw shout by Bopara earlier in the over which was turned down. Essex then gave a visible display of dissent that should be punished with the team standing in horror that it hadn't been given, Bopara in particular displayed the sort of thing that got Gale into trouble and Rashid hit the next ball for four to upset him even more.

Hodd sadly didn't offer his usual resistance and nicked behind to give Foster another catch and then Brooks cane in at 9 and looked to be at least two places higher than he should be. How he got a ton in the Roses match is hard to imagine. He fell to a three card trick from the excellent Amir who went round the wicket and bowled on his legs where Jack duly clipped it into square legs hands (unusually it was the skipper Ten Doeschate at square leg).

Coad lasted one ball falling the same way as TKC and not getting forward to a full delivery that obliterated his stumps.

So around 12-30 last man Siddy came out to join Lyth at 74-9.

A word about Lyth. On this evidence please do not include him in our list of players we should release, drop or castigate. He played and missed at a few but was disciplined and unfurled the cover drive several times that was a joy to watch. One difficult chance dropped high above first slips head but otherwise he ground it out and was even happy to take the singles on offer and expose Ryan to a fired up Amir.

We then had some fun and games at 1pm with the usual lunch delayed as 9 wickets were down. But at 1-30 with the tenth wicket intact everyone wandered off, the kids came on to play on the outfield and the announcer told everyone former Essex President Doug Insole had died. I wondered why the Essex side had stayed in the middle and assumed it was to have a minutes silence but bizarrely we had another over which Lyth played out and then they all wandered off at 1-35. This was unusual and a law unknown to most around me and clearly not a lot gets in the way of a Yorkshireman and his lunch as most wandered off between 1and 1-30 as if they had fixed table bookings at the chippie.

An interesting scoreboard at lunch with the total 111 and numbers 1 and 11 at the crease giving the scoreboard a binary look which with a few ducks in our innings was further evidence. In the end Lyths knock was ended as he was caught at first slip to give Amir his fifth wicket.

A word about Essex and their bowlers. Amir (called for no balling by a wag on his first ball) bowled beautifully and was a class above all on display. Pace, bounce, accuracy and a great cricketing brain with his options.

Porter too bowled a nice line and deserved his wickets. Walter is a new all rounder plucked from the Essex leagues and is like Paul Hutchinson but taller. He looked all over the place and wayward but he did trouble Adam a couple of times with his bounce.

Bopara actually bowled well with some away swing but his attitude and dissent when denied an lbw reminded me of why Essex are hard to like.

Our opening bowlers didn't look that threatening but Siddy gave his all and Jack took the first wicket with a ball that stayed very low to remove Chopra. Coad was the pick of the seamers. Smooth economical run up, lovely delivery action, beautiful line and length and some away movement that beat Bopara ends up many times over. He successfully appealed for a caught behind against Browne who then stood his ground after being given out, argued with the umpire, looked back and is another who should be getting a call from the disciplinary board of the ECB.

Bres bowled nicely too, got Lawrence plumb lbw to a full delivery and led from the front.

I left at tea which was quite late after the late lunch break. Partly as the forecast was for rain, partly as the thought of parking in a queue on the A64 and partly to sort out a flat tyre in daylight.

So pleading to see the bowlers continuing to plug away and give us a faint hope. The problem is I can't see anyone other than Lyth in any sort of form to help give us a lead and set a target we can bowl at in the last innings.

The poster who told me the place hadn't changed in 30 years was spot on. I felt at home as soon as I saw the terraced B&Bs, the painted TEA ROOM on the roof and the Carlsberg lager tent. The pavilion, the marquees and the lunchtime knockabouts between three generations of families and the huge crowd hoping to see a better display. Good turn out by Essex fans but thre they are top,of the table. Chris Silverwood spent the afternoon session sat a few rows away chatting to some pensioners he clearly knew of old and he looked happy, chatted to others around him and I'm pleased to see him doing well but wonder if he is a better option for us as he wont be mates with too many of our current team or have played with them last season. He is clearly well regarded in high places with England showing interest.

Oh and Geoff Cope has written a book with Stephen Chalke and was signing copies. One for the Christmas list.

(Login dpressed)

August 6 2017, 7:54 PM 

The lunch delay was simple. It's the longer of 30 minutes or 8 overs. Between 1 & 1:30 Essex only bowled 7 overs so there was still one to bowl before lunch.

Brown will also be in trouble after showing clear dissent when given out. Truth is that he probably didn't touch is, but that is irrelevant, if the umpire says you are out, you are out. Lawrence also was unhappy about his lbw,which looked more out that Bresnan (even if Bressy didn't hit it)

This message has been edited by dpressed on Aug 6, 2017 8:01 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Bumper crowd

August 6 2017, 8:39 PM 

Nice to see so many in, 6000+ according to cricinfo.

We are certainly behind the 8 ball thanks to their captain making too many.

Need a quick bang bang, as Liam Plunkett would say, in the morning and then show some good old fashioned application in hopefully more helpful conditions.

We must see off Amir and Porter in order to build something to give our bowlers chance.

Once again hopeful but even less confident.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 6 2017, 8:53 PM 

A very atmospheric and comprehensive report, Third ump, thanks.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 6 2017, 9:25 PM 

Thanks TU for the full & comprehensive report.

This could well finish tomorrow, weather permitting. We might scrape together 150 in our second knock.

Same old "run-down, in need of a make-over" Scarborough. What a dump!! Broken seats, toilets not working and portable loos, and queues at all the turnstiles as most of them are faulty. It used to be a venue where we won just about every match, so it was worth the inconvenience and discomfort, but that is no longer the case, as we have lost just about every match there recently.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 6 2017, 10:14 PM 

On arriving at the ground, I noticed the wicket was as green as the outfield surrounding it.

Can someone please explain why our groundsman produces such a wicket that was obviously going to favour their pace and seam attack when it was a 100% certainty we would be batting.

The wicket was several shades paler by lunchtime.

No excuse for the fully predictable feeble batting performance, but preparing a wicket to suit the opposition made things a lot worse than they could have been.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 6, 2017 10:17 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk