<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

Re: County Championship | Yorkshire vs Essex at Scarborough (Day Two)

August 7 2017, 12:32 PM 

Shameful display, an inevitable consequence of two years of complacency about being regularly bailed out by Bres, Hodd, whoever. Maybe a 50 all out will finally get some people to wake up to how poor our batting is, people in club and on forums like this. Still people talking about our chances of winning the title being in danger from this defeat. What? Relegation inevitable unless something dramatic happens in next month. Worst batting line ups recently that I can recall in my 40 odd years.

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 7 2017, 12:33 PM 

Do you have anymore of those mushrooms Steve, in all honesty I can't see anything but another humiliating defeat for us.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 7 2017, 12:45 PM 

Wonder what Will Rhodes is thinking?

Dave
(Login rognumber)

August 7 2017, 12:48 PM 

Going going ....
Dreadful performance against the almost certainly new county champions
The only question is whether we will be in the same division next year. Personally sorry to say I doubt it

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

August 7 2017, 12:55 PM 

Lyth and Lees dismissals were abysmal. Young Brook and K-C at least looked as if they knew they were playing opening bowlers and a new ball. More than can be said for our one and two.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 7 2017, 12:56 PM 

Lees scored 100 runs last season..

It just needs one of our players to find a century from somewhere.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

August 7 2017, 1:12 PM 

Stating that Lees scored 1000 runs last season is just a fact. As is his decent career average. It's also a fact that he's not doing it this season! The question is can he get his mojo back. Even if our openers were doing the business, we have a very shaky looking line up. A teenager batting at 3. K-C who clearly has promise but has very average stats. Leaning who hasn't played well for two years and an out of form Bresnan.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 7 2017, 1:46 PM 

I hope they arrange another game for the huge crowds in town or hey will have nowt to do for the next two days. Mind you if we let the kids play on the outfield or the beach then Gale could go and find a better top order for the next game.

It's not the pitch or the overhead clouds but just poor technique and some good bowling with the odd iffy umpiring decision thrown in to the mix.

I wish I knew who to bring up from the seconds but only know of Tattersall , Waite and hopefully Callis is fit and available. But the current 1-5 in the order are not the answer bar Lyth

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

An Embarrassment

August 7 2017, 2:10 PM 

This is embarrassing. Gale should do the decent thing and leave his post tonight when we lose on just Day 2.
A Buchan

Pauld
(Login pdowgill)

August 7 2017, 2:13 PM 

Unfortunately our bowling attack is also not as good as it has been (a number of counties now have a better bowling cohort than us) - this is a team in serious decline and we have a management who do not seem to recognise this. It will be interesting to see what excuses, sorry reasons, Gale comes up with this time.

I suspect we will be safe from relegation but cannot see us been higher than 6th - given we were many pundits favourites this is a significant under performance and as i said much earlier in the season, the current coaches are not good enough. Fifth wicket has just gone down: 33-5. Did not Yeovil refund the spectators this weekend - now there is an idea happy.gif.

Pauld
(Login pdowgill)

August 7 2017, 2:18 PM 

We are not going to make 3pm at this rate...

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 7 2017, 2:27 PM 

The batsmen should feel utterly ashamed but on the plus side Lees scored 1000 runs last season.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 7 2017, 2:30 PM 

I don't want a refund for my £16 entry and £6 car parking and petrol from Leeds I just want to see my team do justice to the name of the county.

A team in decline suggests it was once better than this but some of this team have sadly not been as good as some seem to think.

Siddy is an exception and now past his best but still a class above some others with effort and determination. But Brooks is expensive and military medium and being out bowled by youngsters like Coad so he must be on borrowed time with Fisher in the wings demanding a game.

The top order is just impossible to work out what to do. Ballance and Marsh would be helpful and even Though he's leaving Rhodes has to be a better option than all of the top 5 bar Lyth.

But these decisions are taken by Gale and Moxon along with Pyrah presumably. Three old boys with two to close to the current team so they select on misplaced loyalty and having eyes turned by runs they have made in the seconds and Academy on the way up.

An outsider may not appeal to some but they are impartial in thinking and don't have the same set of blinkers. I was ok with Gales appointment but have been proven wrong. We are not a county who should be with a coach who is starting out. We deserve an experienced coach with international knowledge and proven track record. I am sure others will tell me Dizzy was inexperienced and we took a punt on him years ago but he had worked in several countries and played top level cricket and learned from top coaches.

We need one of Gale or Pyrah to learn from a Dizzy equivalent but not both learning as they middle along sadly.

I think this has the makings of our most embarrassing defeat I can recall unless others know differently? It's up there with the defeats by minor counties in the old Gillette Cup in my view.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

August 7 2017, 2:31 PM 

Please let's atleast save ourselves from an innings defeat.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

August 7 2017, 2:36 PM 

From dominating County Championship to relegation material in two years is disgraceful, where has the fight gone? Even in recent seasons when Yorkshire were under the cosh or weakened squad wise, someone stepped up to the plate and turned the momentum around.

The club has a lot to answer for and people need to be made accountable. The board are more interested in preserving international status at Headingley and getting on board with this City Based T20 game, while the newly appointed coaching staff are out of their depth and appear to have lost the dressing room.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 7 2017, 2:36 PM 

Joking aside - and i know i can be flippant sometimes - i really do feel very sorry for anyone who has booked accommodation for three or four nights in Scarborough..
Not to mention the Scarborough Club itself who are presumably going to be seriously out of pocket from a two day game.
I dont know who's fault it is - or what the solution might be - but this isn't good enough.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

August 7 2017, 2:39 PM 

Come on Gale, get your bat out of your locker. Even if it's just to beat the top order with.

The rest of them are making Leaning look like Tendulkar by comparison this innings.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

August 7 2017, 2:43 PM 

It's worse than watching the Daleks from behind the sofa happy.gif Talking of which, who should we exterminate in a cricketing sense obviously, I'm not advocating murder ?
I tipped us to be 6th and would be delighted if we finished that high. Supporting Yorkshire and Barnsley FC, albeit from afar, is going to be painful the next few months I think

Dave
(Login rognumber)

August 7 2017, 2:50 PM 

What annoys me more than anything was the obvious batting deficiencies appeared to have been completely ignored by management. Did they really think that they could replace 2 or 3 batsmen of the quality of Root and Bairstow (who are once in a decade batsmen ) with homegrown players? They have known the situation re R and B for last 2 years so should have been looking to recruit from outside - Kolpak or otherwise.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 7 2017, 2:56 PM 

Any sign of rain yet?

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk