<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login Pandadada)

Re: County Championship | Yorkshire vs Essex at Scarborough (Day Two)

August 7 2017, 3:16 PM 

I don't think we are a team in decline, I think its just that our batting is very brittle, too many players out of form at the same time. obviously losing key players to England is a reason however with our quality we should not be in this position. I see the problem being the lack of form of the openers, that is key. The openers are getting out cheaply leaving the likes of Ballance/Handscombe or whoever plays at 3 or 4 playing to a new ball and the others are out of form. The openers need to stay in, take the shine off the ball. Since they are not doing that its getting us into trouble.

I don't think anything is wrong with our bowling. We are still bowling teams out cheaply. Its just that its difficult to defend and win when all out for 100 every innings. Its the batting letting us down.

In decline, I don't think so, exciting young batters in Brook and KC and great new bowling talent to come ( Willey, Fisher, Coad) and we can still get a few more years out of Patterson and Plunkett.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

August 7 2017, 3:26 PM 

nothing to add

dark days

I see warwicks and lancs making a much better fist of things second time up

lack of fight and quality in this team - the former even more worrying than the latter

the division has improved and we have gone backwards

we deserve second division cricket with this team

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 7 2017, 3:46 PM 

We've hit a perfect storm this season.

Injuries, lower order not bailing out the fragile middle, openers not firing exposing the fragile middle which, in turn, exposes the lower order faster.Overseas not really producing what you might expect.Ageing bowlers not as penetrative or controlled, other teams improving.

Whlst it may be a perfect storm it's not as though the forecast has been sunny, bright and cloudless for quite a while now.The storm clouds have been gathering and there seems to be some thick fog obscuring the management thinking.

No one stepping up, no one to hail, a deep depression well set in over Headingley?

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 7 2017, 3:49 PM 

At least we've now got something to ball at.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 7 2017, 4:18 PM 

If the top four batsmen had added another 100 between them this could still have been an interesting game.....

Pauld
(Login pdowgill)

August 7 2017, 4:21 PM 

A good knock from Leaning but lets not kid ourselves he is under performing. 33 runs needed for Essex to win - a pathetic effort.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

August 7 2017, 4:23 PM 

Whilst nobody is in the mood to look for positives ill still take one. I thought Leaning batted superbly. If not back to his form from two seasons ago a clear move in that direction I thought.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

August 7 2017, 4:30 PM 

no positives in leanings performance

garbage time runs when the pressure is off as we had lost

no value for me at all

I have seen little to see that when it comes to the crunch jack can perform

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 7 2017, 4:34 PM 

in 22 visits to the crease 16 of those didn't get into double figures with 7 getting ducks.

Ryan was not out twice though. happy.gif

Lack of application or great bowling?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

August 7 2017, 4:36 PM 

For me putting your hand up and scoring 70 when everyone else is failing does count for something. It doesn't erase his failings in the last couple of seasons but it doesn't stop it being a good knock

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 7 2017, 5:03 PM 

Its hard to slate a bloke who gets 70 irrespective of the game situation but it doesnt paper over the cracks either.

So we have a small target to defend and we open with the most expensive and least effective bowler in the second innings whilst the leading wicket taker for us this season patiently waits his turn on the fag packet.

This is why the coach and captain need a serious review of things as much as anything else. Lack of decisiveness, decision making or encouragement for one of the few bright stars whilst we back an old lag who is in decline

Papag
(Login Papag1)

August 7 2017, 5:29 PM 

Looking at it another way that is another 3 points towards our survival

East Coast Type
(Login EastCoastType)

August 7 2017, 5:38 PM 

I think the point above about Div 1 increasing in quality as well as our team declining is well made. I sense that too.

I see YCCC have tweeted the crowd today as 5,355. Nearly 11,000 in two days - some consolation for a Scarborough club that is the biggest loser here.

This message has been edited by EastCoastType on Aug 7, 2017 5:41 PM

(Login dpressed)

August 7 2017, 6:23 PM 

A dismal display.

This morning we looked lacklustre in the field. Ten Doescata was easily able to farm the bowling to get Essex a decent lead. One cheeky run comes to mind when Brook was half asleep ... A shout of 'Concentrate' came not from the crowd but from Ryan at fine leg.

Lyth shouldered arms & looked plumb, Lees wafted well outside off stump. Result we were 0-2. After that the match was never in doubt. K-C was probably unlucky & Leaning got his head down. But it was only because Essex needed to bowl the spinner that we saved an innings defeat. Even then Leaning was poor hitting out once last man Ryan came in. In the first innings Ryan provided excellent support to Lyth.

Essex decided to take it slowly. It was only when. They got close that a bit is sillyness entered. Choose & Brown got into a muddle & Brook hit the wicket! Then Brown tried to hit Brooks only to sky itvos Ryan. But only needing 33 this was just delaying the inevitable which came with over 23 overs remaining on day 2.

Basically Yorkshire have been pathetic in this match. Yes Essex bowled well, but truth is that the only thing Yorkshire can be proud of was crowds in excess of 5,300 on both days.

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

Jobs on the line

August 7 2017, 6:53 PM 

Gale's job must be on the line. They have had a month to get ready for this match and this is what they come up with. We lost with 2 days and 24 overs left. Abject. Young Harry Brook does not look ready for the first team yet. Lyth, certainly Lees, Kohler-Cadmore, Leaning, Brooks (3 for 89 is his best figures of the season) are all vulnerable for the chop which could lead to the not retained list! Bresnan, Brother-in-law of the 1st team coach, well his captaincy does not inspire me with confidence whilst his batting form has deserted him. I wasn't happy when Gale got the job. For me it was the cheap option and now he could take us down. Listening to family and friends of the players the Yorkshire dressing room is an unhappy place and hearing the whispers Gale is very unpopular. Time to cut our losses now and sack him?
A Buchan

Keypoff
(Login Keypoff)

Why just Gale

August 7 2017, 7:39 PM 

Moxon out before it's too late.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 7 2017, 8:20 PM 

An enjoyable afternoon in the Scarborough sunshine and an excellent knock by Leaning. Well these were the positives from today but we are a mess as a CC Division 1 outfit. We selected wrong team by including Brookes and Lees rather than Patterson and Willey, the tactical prowess of coach and captain on the field were sub standard, several batsmen played irresponsible shots and the seam bowlers (apart from Coad) were wayward, Rashid was underused as potential wicket taker and some fielding was poor. There was more energy displayed in the daft pre game football than when they started to play cricket ! Sad that Siddy played his last match at Scarborough and he received well deserved recognition. We need a new cricket supremo and coach who is more independent from current players and some of current players should not have contracts renewed. For the last four CC games, we should play younger players, hopefully with Ballance returning as captain until the end of this season. Our overseas players have been the usual mess of recent years. Positives from the game - Lyth, Leaning and Coad. Very disappointing to have only 2 days cricket on brilliant ground with fantastic support - Scarborough should be compensated by Yorkshire for fielding an inferior team!!

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

August 7 2017, 8:58 PM 

Not good, lets face it none of us wanted to leave Scarborough soon after tea on day 2 especially when we've lost.

We've been poor in all aspects - batting, bowling, tactics and fielding. No-ones had a good game, Lyth and Leaning played the two decent innings, Coad bowled well, Bres bowled ok and Ryan showed some passion. The others hard to say anything at all positive.

I cant be bothered to rake over the ashes and join in the general handwringing but will make a few points:

The batting: Lees is good enough, its a task for the coaches to return him to his best, Brook should be protected at 5, possibly 6, not exposed at 3, TKC I really don't think is good enough and Leaning similar to Lees although I'm less sure he's good enough.

The others: Bres (no form or confidence), Ras (lost his four day mo-jo after lots of white ball) and Hodd (to comfortable with no one pushing him) are a dysfunctional 6,7 and 8. With non batting bowlers, its almost 7 out all out which isn't the case at any other first division team.

The bowling is also a concern. Ryan going and looks gone and Brooks looks a busted flush. Bres is steady but appears tired.

Overall we look unhappy and that's a really bad sign.

As a more happy aside 'the bloke behind me' came out with two cracking stats:

Assuming Essex win the title, the winner of the last 5 Aug fixtures at Scarborough will have gone on to win the 1st division title.

Essex legend Trevor Bailey played more first class innings at Scarborough than any other ground excluding Lords!

This message has been edited by sid-don on Aug 7, 2017 9:37 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Turned my back

August 7 2017, 9:52 PM 

I had to drive over to Leeds today, lucky me, I turn my back for one minute and look what happens.

The way forward, I wish I knew. But I hope this is rock bottom.

Markedly different team I hope for our next 4 day game.

Hopefully Ballance, Marsh, Plunkett, Willey, and Fisher in.

There are plenty of candidates to be left out.

EastCoastExile
(Login EastCoastExile)

Hopeless display

August 7 2017, 10:00 PM 

Not much to add to what has been said. 600 mile round trip to see about the worst Yorkshire performance I can remember witnessing. Virtually no redeeming features. It is obvious that the side needs a major injection of new ideas, quality and different leadership. Not sure where any of it will come from but without it we are in for some grim times ahead.

On the bright side, I had to come home this evening anyway so hadn't booked any accommodation, and Scarborough in the sunshine with 5,000+ people was a treat (whatever some earlier posters have said about the state of the ground). Plus some enjoyable conversations around the ground made it worth the trip.

Also worth saying how great it was that Gary Ballance, Liam Plunkett and Andy Hodd, plus Anthony McGrath and a couple of the Essex lads turned out for Dickie Bird's Quiz Night at the Cask pub on Sunday evening. Good of them to give their evening up for a good cause.

Might get round to posting some pictures of the game some time....or might just delete them all and pretend I wasn't there.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk