<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

Re: County Championship | Yorkshire vs Essex at Scarborough (Day Two)

August 7 2017, 10:10 PM 

On the subject of nice things seen today. Watching Ryan Sidebottom underarm throw a few deliveries to one of the kids playing on the outfield just before play started after lunch was lovely. The hero worship of the four or five kids who had spotted him was nice to see.

Monkwood
(Login Monkwood)

Scarborough g

August 7 2017, 10:25 PM 

Well where do we begin ? Speaking to an ex cricketer from Wakefield before the start of the game I said we have a very ordainary batting line up, and an equally poor bowling attack, and we needed somebody to stand up today.well once again this season nobody did !
Things that really annoyed me, the use of Jack Brooks,start of today's play, when we needed it to be kept tight, he his the last bowler to use but we bring him on straight away and the ball dissapeared to all parts of the ground. This also happened at the start of their second innings, robot captaincy, coaching decisions.

We need a captain.

Ok, it's very difficult, nearly impossible to find one out of today's team, because there is hardly anyone sure of a start.

This morning when we started there was no belief, no determination, no aggression, the captains demeanour was probably the worst on the field ? I feel sorry for Bressy thrust in a role he cannot handle, he has been a great player for Yorkshire for many many years.

At the end of the day I feel cheated out of a game of cricket, that's what we come for win or lose a contest, once again we were cheated out of a game. Out of 60 ish years of watching cricket at Scarborough this must have been the poorest contest in memory ?
It does not seem long since I was watching Darren Leeman scoring 175 on a Sunday afternoon!!

(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

August 7 2017, 10:43 PM 

https://cricketarchive.com/Yorkshire/Scorecards/79/79954.html - bad 'Scarboroughs' we have know.

Monkwood: Think the game above was almost as bad - certainly the Friday morning (3rd day) collapse was as poor as in todays game. And the great Boof was playing!

Weather forecast currently on Look North - awful in Scarborough, at least were saved having to sit there in the rain.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Aug 7, 2017 10:46 PM

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

August 7 2017, 10:53 PM 

Andrew Gale's debut as well. It's interesting how short his first class career actually was.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 7 2017, 10:59 PM 

Very worrying times. I'm seeing apparent quality batsmen declining in the manner of Matthew Wood and Joe Sayers from the past, and that reflects badly on the coaches. But you can't in all conscience expect Andrew Gale to step down in his first season - he should, and I hope he will, learn far more from these crushing defeats than from any number of wins. It might be easier to restructure things out of the glare of Div 1 cricket, if, God forbid, it comes to that.

(Login step10)

Ryans collection.

August 8 2017, 1:11 AM 

I heard that Patto is having to share his testimonial year with Ryan. As Ryan is retiring he gets the months of August and September for his testimonial events being the busiest months of cricket.! Seems a shame for Patto as all other players have had a full year.!!!!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 8 2017, 7:14 AM 

If that's true it's disappointing. Patto is precisely the sort of player who the benefit system is for and not the international players and one who has left us to play elsewhere too. Benefits are rewards for loyalty as much as any I get and it's a poor call if that's the case.

I have nothing against Ryan as a player or a person but just Think this is disappointing and unfair on Patto

remit 1
(Login remit1)

WHAT?

August 8 2017, 7:44 AM 

Not disappointing, TU - if true, it's appalling recompense for loyalty and dedication...

Monkwood
(Login Monkwood)

Scarborough

August 8 2017, 8:20 AM 

Yes Sid, was not one of our best but the big difference was there was over 900 runs in that match! There was less than 500 in this match ? that's why I felt short changed.

If we had held out until today we might have got a draw unless we lost at Water Polo.

It's going to take a totally new and brace development to get us out of this mess !! and I can't even feel I could offer any advice !!

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

August 8 2017, 9:56 AM 

Why is the joint testimonial/benefit 'appalling'? They both deserve it, Ryan is going this year, it's a solution, even if it's not ideal. For all we know, there's been sensible discussion with both, Patto may have had a choice as to whether to wait a year or share. I can't see that it's necessarily bad treatment of either.

(Login matthefish2002)

August 8 2017, 10:03 AM 

Easy to forget we did bowl out Essex for 231 and then had them 2 down for 20 odd in the second innings which in other circumstances would have been seen as a good effort.
The major problems is with the batting and the block of T20 games and especially those of Thursday and Friday night wont have helped.

Give Gale until end of season to me and then see where we are. Not crickets way to sack a coach mid season and would be very harsh treatment on a Championship wining captain 2 years ago.

As for testimonials and benefit years I have always thought those sort of things should belong in the past for professional sportsmen. Unless the player is using his name to raise money for charity rather then himself.

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Sid

August 8 2017, 10:20 AM 

Sid- your Trevor Bailey stat would make a good quiz question.However,just to clarify,is that regarding all grounds ie including Essex's home grounds, or just away grounds? I am assuming the latter.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 8 2017, 11:34 AM 

Sid --- As a more happy aside 'the bloke behind me' came out with two cracking stats:

Assuming Essex win the title, the winner of the last 5 Aug fixtures at Scarborough will have gone on to win the 1st division title.

Essex legend Trevor Bailey played more first class innings at Scarborough than any other ground excluding Lords!

We won at Scarborough last year against Notts, but did not win the CC.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

August 8 2017, 1:40 PM 

My two slightly tarnished 'bloke behind me' facts!

Stu: 'Win at Scarborough and win the league': Only a slight amendment needed, delete Aug. Middlesex beat us in the first Scarborough game of 2016 and then went on to win the league rather than in the Aug fixture

Antony: Trevor B at Scarborough: My hearing suggested all cricket but on reflection that cant be right. As you suggest it has to be excluding Essex home grounds. If correct, an interesting stat, I assume he played every year at the festival.

remit 1
(Login remit1)

Only away matches?

August 8 2017, 5:28 PM 

It need not necessarily mean away matches only because -

Essex were one of the most nomadic counties in Bailey's time: they did not only play at Chelmsford and Colchester, but also at Leyton, Ilford, Southend and Romford;

Bailey was a regular Test selection from 1949-1958. Most of his Tests were of five days' duration, which generally covered two county match fixtures - and none of them coincided with the Scarborough Festival, for which he was in constant demand. On the other hand, many of them did clash with Essex home matches.

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Remit

August 8 2017, 5:49 PM 

Yes, Remit, that did cross my mind but I could only recall Southend, Leyton (Holmes and Sutcliffe 555) and Romford. Best not to include the question in a quiz then? But , still, very interesting nonetheless.

(Login step10)

Testimonial

August 8 2017, 6:04 PM 

I heard it is Rashid's testimonial next year so for Patto had to be this year .!!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Testimonials

August 8 2017, 7:24 PM 

I have no problem with testimonials as celebrity cricket matches, golf days and dinners etc are all part of the cricketing year.

At County matches the Yorkshire Cricket Foundation seem to have taken over selling tickets for the chance to win the dreaded signed bat.

The occasional bucket collection is now usually aimed at raising money for charity. On Sunday it was to raise money to support Martin House hospice, using Ryan's name.

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

August 9 2017, 11:44 AM 

Having sat through the whole two sorry days I'm fairly certain I've never seen so much open dissent, from both teams, at the umpiring decisions. That was from batsmen aggrieved at been given out, and from bowlers and fielders at decisions not given. The majority been from the batsmen.

So far I've not heard of any players been reported, but I won't be surprised if some have been.

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

August 9 2017, 2:29 PM 

We were embarrassingly poor in this match.No idea where we go from here. Not much to add.Apart from one interesting little point i picked up from a reliable source .The umpires had said to the groundsman that it was swing, not movement off the seam, that had been Yorkshires undoing on the first morning.To me that suggests we should have done so much better, if our batsmen had applied themselves properly.It should be easier to deal with a swinging ball that one which deflects upon pitching.
Anyway despite the gruelling 2 day watch- and i agree with whoever posted that it was enthralling- and our shortcomings, i still had a great couple of days. There's nowhere quite like it:win lose or draw.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk