<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

County Championship | Yorkshire vs Essex at Scarborough (Day Two)

August 7 2017 at 3:13 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Aug 6-9, 2017 - at North Marine Road Ground, Scarborough

Yorkshire 113 Essex 188-8 (58 overs)
Day 1: Essex lead by 75 runs with 2 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Weather

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Aug 7, 2017 10:03 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Damp morning

August 7 2017, 5:54 AM 

Very grey and damp this morning but it is very early and the forecast is good for today.

Hope for a couple of quick wickets and then a nice flat one for the rest of a the day.

Some decent umpiring would be good too.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: County Championship | Yorkshire vs Essex at Scarborough (Day Two)

August 7 2017, 7:33 AM 

The umpiring is a funny one as I thought it wasn't as bad as you suggest but then looking back there may have been some bowlers.

The dissent shown by Bopara, Amir and Browne was far more excessive than Bresnan though.

I didn't think Lees was a shocker to get wrong but Bresnans was and whilst the bopara lbw appeal turned down looked plumb, there was no excuse for the Essex players reaction.

Coad and Hodd were both convinced Browne nicked it which will do for me too. The later ones for Siddy I didn't stay for.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 7 2017, 8:42 AM 

I had a great day yesterday - I began with Double Full English in the Watermark and the sun shone.
The umpiring was a bit of a mystery - it felt like they got a couple wrong and spent the rest of the day trying to even it up - the extra over before lunch baffled everyone (apart from the sage-like Dpressed..).
Our batting wasn't great - but lets not forget poor Adam Lyth who played like a champion.
Coad was the best of the bowlers - it looked like hard work for Ryan. I wonder if in a few years time with hindsight he'll regret not retiring last year. He more or less ambles to the wicket these days - perhaps hes still not fully fit. I was pelased the faithful gave him such an ovation when he came out to bat - and it was nice that his dad was there too.

I told Spanish Nick that i would have declared at 64 for 7. WE might as well have been bowling to see if we could make a game of it..

I reckon we're still in this. If we can finish them off this morning and somehow get anything like 250-300 i reckon we could bowl them out cheaply..
The groundsman looked concerned - but i was pleased he's got a new jumper.
The seafood stall has been replaced by artisan pizzas. A sign of the times - and the west stand toilets have finally been condemned...
I spent most of the day discussing knitting.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 7 2017, 9:13 AM 

Agree re Ryan.

Interestingly the collection bucket doing the rounds was for something he was involved with whereas I would have expected Patto as this years beneficiary to have had this game earmarked for his benefit collection.

Big crowd with him being from the east coast would have made sense. Plus he could have gone round with the bucket himself as he was omitted....

Martin
(Login Cusworth)

Day 1 reflections

August 7 2017, 9:52 AM 

Yes, the over riding reason for us going to Scarborough, Headingley and accessing this forum is because of cricket in general and especially Yorkshire ccc. However, there are other factors that come into play. Despite our first team being in serious decline, the cricket days I spend in Scarborough are more important than ashes trips in November and December. Yesterday I did my scenic drive from whitby and parked for nowt top side of the indoor pool. Met some mates for coffee at the Watermark and watched the world go by. Brisk walk up to the ground where queues were tolerable. Quick walk round my favourite ground then watched the slaughter. Two pints of Fat Lads mild in the North Riding and a bloody good pie back int gound. Fight back led by Coad after Lyth's great effort. Yes, we might be in line for a 2 day thrashing, but, the point I'm making is that, for me at least, my day out in Scarbados is more than just about the cricket.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

August 7 2017, 10:37 AM 

Nice post Martin. As you intimate, those writing off Scarborough as a "dump" are missing the point somewhat. It's by far the best ground in the county to watch a game at, and also among the best in the whole country. The Essex commentators on the radio yesterday evening were also of the same opinion.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 7 2017, 10:43 AM 

Agree wholeheartedly. It's suffered a little from a lack of investment by Yorkshire who have thrown money at headingley but you cannot put a price on atmosphere, memories and the company around you.

The Yorkshire 12th man yesterday looked to be about 12. Who was he?

Tyke 83
(Login Tyke83)

August 7 2017, 10:59 AM 

Last day here for me this season. This place is unique. Cherish it as 4 day cricket is not certain to survive into the second half of this century.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 7 2017, 11:27 AM 

we need a couple of wickets very quickly.....

Papag
(Login Papag1)

August 7 2017, 11:35 AM 

Well done Steve you have just got one, mind you 110 lead so far might be too many

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 7 2017, 11:43 AM 

And this last pair will probably add another 50...

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

August 7 2017, 11:44 AM 

Can anyone remember which end umpire Billy Taylor was at as he has just been appointed on the first class umpire list this year. Was wondering if the dodgy decisions were at his end?
I was there yesterday and enjoyed Lyths innings good hard work from him. Couldn't get there today due to car trouble.

Martin
(Login trinity20)

August 7 2017, 11:54 AM 

He was at the Peasholme Park end. I think some of the "bad" decisions were at each end, but as I was sat at 45 degrees to the wicket I don't have any view on the lbw's, except that at least one of them seemed very high from my position. However my eyesight is not that great so I would defer to the umpires personally.

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 7 2017, 12:18 PM 

Anyone think we will surpass our first innings score?

Tyke 83
(Login Tyke83)

August 7 2017, 12:18 PM 

Two down already. This could be very quick.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

August 7 2017, 12:19 PM 

This is now officially a shambles.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 7 2017, 12:22 PM 

Keep the Faith.
We just need one good partnership and we're in with a shout..

(Login WhiteroseDave)

August 7 2017, 12:22 PM 

Time for someone to stand up. Big contributions needed from 2 of 3-5.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 7 2017, 12:25 PM 

Don't worry someone will be along soon to tell us Lees scored a 1000 runs last season..

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk