<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cricinfo

August 8 2017 at 10:28 AM
Brian  (Login NewBrian)

The essential cricket stats and news site is becoming increasing irritating, with stories jumping up and down the page just as you click on them, bringing up the one you didn't want to read, hard-to-see live match information and poor quality control such as the following from a report on the match in which Hameed finally found some form alongside the talented Davies (and what about him for a shot at England by the way?)

The opening pair had a Jewell and Hyde of styles with Davies battering his way to 97 from 92 balls, while Hameed ended the day on 77 from a mammoth 219 deliveries.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Cricinfo

August 8 2017, 11:27 AM 

I agree, it is a pain now. Really difficult to find anything you want or navigate around the site, and no way of reading the comments at the end of articles. I used to find them very interesting - a bit like our forum where you got a wide range of opinions.

They changed it a couple of weeks ago and has been rubbish ever since.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 8 2017, 11:00 PM 

I agree- and from the comments that make their way to the live text on the Test matches, we're certainly not the only ones who don't like it.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 9 2017, 7:47 AM 

Sounds like a good excuse for when you click on the dodgy ads but agree it's awful and no need to have changed something that was good.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

August 9 2017, 8:17 AM 

The new website is truly awful. I see the given reason is that most traffic now comes through mobiles/tablets so it's more tailored to that format but it just isn't user friendly anymore.

Anglian Exile
(Login AnglianExile)

August 9 2017, 8:49 AM 

I agree. I am reluctant to use Cricinfo now because the site is such a mess.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 9 2017, 8:50 AM 

But with cricket archive less accessible where do you go instead?

(Login KennyShovel)

August 9 2017, 9:17 AM 

A possible alternative is www.cricbuzz.com

It's a mostly Indian orientated site but does carry more user-friendly live scorecards for county matches. As yet I've not had chance to follow a Yorkshire game with both cricinfo & cricbuzz scorecards open at the same time, so I can't give a 100% recommendation, but it might be worth a try.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 9 2017, 11:00 AM 

On the plus side, though, I am now completely unable to find the Division 1 points table.

Oh no, I've found it, unfortunately.

This message has been edited by NewBrian on Aug 9, 2017 11:24 AM

marsker
(Login marskeman)

August 9 2017, 12:22 PM 

is cricket archive now behind a paywall, or am i doing something wrong.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 9 2017, 12:45 PM 

Cricket archive is now behind a pay-wall, and has been for a month or so.

The WRF archive is still available (stats or links).

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 9, 2017 12:50 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 9 2017, 2:14 PM 

Thanks Kenny for the cricbuzz link. Looks a vg alternative.

Dave
(Login rognumber)

August 9 2017, 2:28 PM 

glad to hear its not only me that finds the new site irritating. Lots of useful stuff like current live and career records missing from stats match page , even basic info such as how last batsman was out is not on this new version.
I am sure there are lots of other features missing which I can't remember now.

I did write to Cricinfo with my comments/complaints and asking them for the old version back.
Of course nothing but an automated thank you to date.

Perhaps if they get 'bombarded' with complaints they will listen...

Here is a direct link to their feedback form : http://submit.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/submit/forms/feedback.html

This message has been edited by rognumber on Aug 9, 2017 2:47 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 9 2017, 3:09 PM 

Like you Dave, I also wrote to Cricinfo and complained, and as like you, have also had no reply.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 9 2017, 11:02 PM 

Cricket Archive is indeed behind a paywall, you can access stats for Yorkshire players at the below link though (the club presumably pay for an account).

https://cricketarchive.com/Yorkshire/

WRF
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

August 10 2017, 2:34 AM 

Click on the "links" option on our menu bar and choose "Cricket Archive"

(Login dpressed)

August 10 2017, 7:50 AM 

The club should be commended for this. Even better, at a previous member's forum someone mentioned that the stats no longer worked. The club said they'd look at it as they hadn't realised. A few days later I checked and the link was working again.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

August 11 2017, 11:27 PM 

Thanks for the Cricbuzz recommendation.
After more than 15 years, Cricinfo has driven me away.
Blame American ownership? ESPN no idea what they're doing?

Haxbyite
(Login Haxbyite)

August 12 2017, 11:03 AM 

Thanks from me also for the Buzz link, I will use it today to follow the T20 at Grace Road.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 12 2017, 12:38 PM 

Why did they change something that was so good, so user friendly?

Thanks for the Buzz link, Kenny.

I still find this Cricinfo archive link useful for scores, which I need for captioning my photographs:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/series/index.html

Click on 2017, for example, and all the scores are there if you scroll down, neatly arranged by competition. They're in the new, hopeless format, of course...

Pillocks!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk