<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Other matches

August 8 2017 at 11:53 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

According to media and various social media tweets, the Lords pitch is detiorating rapidly, like most this season there, so would expect Warwickshire to complete the win.

If Somerset win as well we could be in serious danger of relegation, especially as both Somerset & warwickshire have a game in hand on us.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Other matches

August 8 2017, 2:07 PM 

Middlesex 28-4. WE are in relegation danger. Both Somerset & Warwicks have a game in hand, and both in strong positions. Thank goodness they are both a long way behind us.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 8, 2017 2:09 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Warwickshire win could be good news

August 8 2017, 3:46 PM 

I should imagine the Middlesex forum is not a happy place today so that cheers me up a trifle. Another example of how quickly even the best teams subside when things looks hopeless.

The other Div 1 matches may also be doomed to draws due to the poor weather so all things being equal the middle has tightened up a bit and the Championship is Essex's to lose.

Paul D
(Login pdowgill)

Competition just got a little tighter

August 8 2017, 3:50 PM 

Warwickshire win so our game against them is at least a winning draw given we have only 4 left. Somerset vs Surrey may result in a run chase for the latter on the last day as Somerset have nothing to lose by doing this.

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

August 8 2017, 3:57 PM 

After todays defeat Middlesex can't call themselves safe either. The next match against them at Headingley huge for both sides.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 8 2017, 4:52 PM 

Us & Hampshire miss out on the next round of CC matches at the end of August.

We should have a clearer picture of the situation then, as all teams in Division One will have played 10 matches with 4 remaining.

If we go out of the T20 next Thursday, Yorkshire will have 18 days with no cricket. 18 days net practice for the batting "naughty boys", or 18 days second X1 cricket?

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 8, 2017 5:09 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 8 2017, 6:17 PM 

I suspect Middlesex may have been unfairly hampered by the absence of Roland Jones and Malan away with England although I see Finn got back in time after being released by England. Morgan not playing either and Gubbins carrying an injury.

No Rayner either and Warwickshire inspired by Woakes return and despite a Bell duck.

I fully expect Strauss to call a committee meeting tomorrow to review things and order a rematch when Middlesex can play at full strength.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Two runners.

August 8 2017, 7:49 PM 

Both Compton and Gubbins needed runners today so Middlesex will have quite a busy treatment room with those already missing.

Good to see Woakes back and he seemed to be effective with bat and ball. Expect him back for England next week, they will probably retain TRJ and give Anderson a rest.

Stoneman has made a decent start and he and Hameed will be pressing their England claims tomorrow, if either of them get on the pitch that is.

I remember thinking how dry everything was just a month or so ago.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

August 9 2017, 1:36 PM 

lots of write offs today. wednesday no play at taunton, lancashire v hants match drawn. and carnage in division 2, durham draw and northants and gloucester.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Grafting for points

August 10 2017, 5:08 PM 

Surrey spent all the final day grafting for batting bonus points. They end up in 5th place 1 point behind us but with a game in hand.

Good enough from Stoneman who has taken Jennings place in the England squad.

Sod's law he'll get injured now.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 10 2017, 5:16 PM 

Somerset just 26 points behind us with a game in hand. Maximum points from that match for them, and things will start getting twitchy for us.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 10 2017, 6:34 PM 

Surrey are actually 2pts ahead of us. An interesting little mini league between us and the two London counties in the next three rounds, with Surrey v Middx the week we don't have a game followed by Yorkshire v Middx and Surrey v Yorks. At the start of the season I suspect most people would have expected those three counties to be facing off for first, second and third rather than fourth, fifth and sixth, but it hasn't worked out that way. Worryingly we don't have a great record against either county in recent years...

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Aug 10, 2017 6:35 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk