<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

An old school solution

August 10 2017, 12:24 PM 

I'm reminded of a sign that was on the staffroom bulletin board of the educational institution where I used to teach. Although perhaps in both an ironic and a figurative sense in this case.

NOTICE: The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

My first post since Scarborough.

August 10 2017, 3:43 PM 

I wonder how much T20 influence is to blame, with the focus on scoring quickly and more attacking strokeplay. As opposed to hard graft and grinding out an innings.

18 wickets in day one is unacceptable.
Yes mistakes were made by both teams and umpires.
But the conditions although very helpful were not unplayable. We have all seen pitches in the 70's that did a hell of a lot more. Modern players lack something in their heads.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: Do the players need to see a psychologist?

August 10 2017, 3:55 PM 

They're professional player's Gavin. Coming off whichever format shouldn't have nothing to do with it

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

August 10 2017, 4:20 PM 

Regarding to the OP about player psychology, I can just imagine the player one to one's with Gale regarding when it comes to the shots that get themselves out.

Leesy: Coach, I seem to struggle with the full delivery which either gets me out LBW or clean bowls me, something I would like to work on. It is rather frustrating because earlier this year I have scored two double centuries for the Bay of Plenty in their Hawke Cup defence and for Lightcliffe in the Bradford League. Can you have a look at my game and see whether I need to work on my stance, foot movement and bat speed?

Galey: Nothing wrong with your game Leesy, you've scored the runs this year. I recommend you see the club psychologist.

TKC: Coach, I am keen to work on my red ball game and is the reason why I have returned home. I feel pretty good at the crease and timing the ball rather well. When I score a boundary to get the scoreboard moving I want more, but a few balls later I tend to fall for the wicket taking delivery and it is really annoying because I feel a daddy hundred is round the corner. Do you have any tips on playing a measured innings?

Galey: You're hitting the ball rather nicely in nets Tom, I am at a loss to why it is not translating to runs at the crease. I recommend you see the 2nd pyschologist, Leesy is currently with the 1st one.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 10 2017, 7:12 PM 

I don't really want to join in with the Gale-bashing, but some of his comments in this article are just beyond me. The problem is "just that all of [the batsmen] are out of form at the same time", is it? Just that? Well whose job does he hunk it is to prevent that happening then- he makes it sound like some sort of uncontrollable affliction, like bad weather. Why are they all out of form at the same time? "It's not because they're not working hard"- I should think not- "it must be pressure". In that case why are they suddenly all being affected by pressure now when they were fine before? He doesn't seem to have any idea what is happening or any real solutions- I'm more worried than ever after reading this.

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Do the players need to see a psychologist?

August 11 2017, 9:35 AM 

Last season Gale averaged 21 over 15 CC games.

It would appear, if he used his own advice it had no affect on his batting, or he didn't use what is now his advice.

Either way, it doesn't seem to be a glowing recommendation.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk