<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Do the players need to see a psychologist?

August 9 2017 at 5:57 PM
Kevin Owens  (Login kevinowens)

Andrew Gale suggesting the players mental state is to blame rather than work ethic. Thoughts?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

19th nervous breakdown

August 9 2017, 6:28 PM 

"There is something happening here...what it is ain't exactly clear.."

I'm not sure about the players, but if this capitulation continues any longer, some of the club's supporters might need some therapy - or shock treatments. Can Ludivico's Reclamation Treatment be far behind?

Recall, it was a little over a year ago Yorkshire were playing Middlesex for third consecutive County Championship title - a match I firmly beileve we would have won if not for the absurd decision by the ECB to hold back our two well-rested star batsmen and Rashid's curious decision to opt out of the match for "personal reasons."

Now here we are a year later fighting to avoid relegation in the Championship, and just about out of the T20.

Now, if I could only chew through these leather straps.

Alex
""

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Do the players need to see a psychologist?

August 9 2017, 6:31 PM 

Former Country Member
(Login FormerlyCountryMember)

For What It's Worth

August 9 2017, 6:39 PM 

"There's a man with a gun over there / Telling me I gotta beware"

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 9 2017, 7:28 PM 

Perhaps all these back office personnel can pull together and play in the next game?

Psychologist - not sure we employ one so may be Boycott could offer his services based on his great understanding of mental health issues surrounding Yardy a few years about?
Moxon
Gale
Pyrah
Fisher
Fitness coach
Academy coach (Dews?)
Mrs Bairstow
Richard Hutton
Steve Denison
Graham the chef from the indoor school.

Not a bad team with both a Hutton and a Bairstow in there to give some experience.

Isn't this actually up to Gale and Pyrah to coach, manage, mentor, develop the players and not just give them catching practice Before play and watch the back up bowlers in the interval

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 9 2017, 7:33 PM 

Just Gale trying to deflect attention from his own ineptitude.

Former Country Member
(Login FormerlyCountryMember)

Do the players need to see a psychologist?

August 9 2017, 7:54 PM 

Actually TU, there's competition for places in your XI: Gale says in his YP article

"We have two psychologists at the club. They're there if any of the players need them."

This message has been edited by FormerlyCountryMember on Aug 9, 2017 7:57 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 9 2017, 8:03 PM 

Maybe it is Gale and Moxon who need advice of a psychologist. Maybe he would advise then to quit at the end of the season!

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 9 2017, 8:42 PM 

Do they need a psychologist? I'm a Freud they do.

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 9 2017, 10:22 PM 

A classic case of projection from Gale.

Lew
(Login Lewis116)

August 9 2017, 10:50 PM 

They need a batting coach.

What worries me is apparently the batsmen have been working their socks off yet we don't seem to see any rewards.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 9 2017, 10:57 PM 

Agree with all posts. A bit of an own goal by Gale. The players' hard work in training is not being transferred to results out in the middle, so it's a poor reflection on the coaching staff in my book.

(Login dpressed)

August 10 2017, 7:53 AM 

Sorry 3rd U but Graham from the cricket school departed last season. Perhaps he was Yorkshire's Hong Kong Fury who was secretly training the batsmen.

(Login Fozzie1973)

August 10 2017, 8:20 AM 

If this is the best Gale can come up with I don't think he's the right man for the job

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 10 2017, 9:28 AM 

Or perhaps the reason for the problems this season are due to diet as the players are no longer able to benefit from the culinary skills of our Graham and his jam roly poly puds.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Can't let it go

August 10 2017, 9:45 AM 

It's Hong Kong Phooey!

Don't think there are many in the team that would take a psychologist seriously. I'm pretty sure that kind of stuff doesn't work unless you're prepared to buy into it.

Maybe a retreat would be a good idea.

Players could stand in a field holding a cricket bat for 10 mins, then have a rest, then try it for 15 mins, gradually increasing the time until they can manage a couple of hours.

At some stage some residual memory might kick in and they will remember they have done it before and can do it again.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

August 10 2017, 9:57 AM 

Seems to me that "work ethic" is tangible - put simplistically are the players putting in the hours or not? If they are then discount this as a reason for the slump. This really only leaves skill levels and the ability of our coaches to raise them, and how players respond. This does become a mental issue - form issues often are. Remember Lyth practicing putting as a way of improving his concentration - that was following advice from a sports psychologist - he went on to have his best every year with the bat.

What I find hard to believe is that these mental issues are all random and individual to each player but are all happening at the same time! It seems unprecedented to me that all of our batsmen appear to be out of form apart from Ballance who they always say is tough mentally. You then start to wonder if there is a more general cause - the obvious one being dressing room disharmony - that is putting a downer on everyone.

(Login edthefed)

August 10 2017, 11:34 AM 

I could accept one or two players having a mental crisis but we seem to have almost a full team struggling ....other than Ballance and Coad.

Even Handscomb and Marsh have struggled.

Coaches have to accept some responsibility!

Also the management of the club appear to have forgotten the following saying when appointing Gale rather than somebody more experienced and expensive..."dont think how much it will cost short term, think how much it will save long term"

(Login edthefed)

August 10 2017, 11:37 AM 

I could accept one or two players having a mental crisis but we seem to have almost a full team struggling ....other than Ballance and Coad.

Even Handscomb and Marsh have struggled.

Coaches have to accept some responsibility!

Also the management of the club appear to have forgotten the following saying when appointing Gale rather than somebody more experienced and expensive..."dont think how much it will cost short term, think how much it will save long term"

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

August 10 2017, 11:39 AM 

This is a weird business. My own hunch is that most of the players need to relax a bit, rather than be sent off to stare up their own backsides. One or two perhaps need to take a long look at themselves and how genuinely committed they are to the club, this group of fellow players, and the coaching/management set-up.

I know a more relaxed approach sounds a bit 'un-Yorkshire', but our two most successful coaches (i.e. Championship winning) have been outsiders without the baggage of Yorkshire history, traditions, all those titles, and so on. Both seemed to give the message that they trusted the players who should go out and express/enjoy themselves. Neither were technicians.

I would think the players are almost all, I hope all, desperate to turn it round. Andrew Gale is an intense and passionate Yorkshireman. If 'bollocking' is the answer, I think we can take it for granted it's been administered, but how helpful is that three matches in a row? I noticed that the dressing room door was closed on Monday after the match, and they were in a circle, no doubt discussing what went wrong. Possibly what they needed was something more uplifting. Easy when you're winning of course.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk