<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

If's and buts

August 12 2017, 7:43 PM 

If only Leaning had come in instead of Rashid he might have nailed half a dozen sixes and we would have got to 220. Or perhaps Plunkett could have been a pinch hitter and done a mini Ronchi.

Whatever we didn't get enough runs to win and the spin twins for once failed to get amongst the wickets.

Unlike other years we were and we have been competitive in all of our matches and it's been very frustrating losing it in the last over so often.

I'm still hopeful things may go our way and we are still in with a chance after a win on Thursday.

If we are I'm going to watch the Rugby League on Friday and not listen to the other matches, my nerves won't stand it.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: T20 Blast | Leicestershire vs Yorkshire at Grace Road (Match Thread)

August 12 2017, 7:46 PM 

Gary surely you can see Andrew Gale is out of his depth.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Qualification

August 12 2017, 7:48 PM 

We are still 3rd on the ECB website so presume it is on NRR.

Cricinfo no longer very reliable.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 12 2017, 8:03 PM 

"Unlike other years we were and we have been competitive in all of our matches and it's been very frustrating losing it in the last over so often. "

You could argue that taking it to the last over so often is competitive Geoff.

You could also then argue that it's a mentality issue.

Cue the psychologists. happy.gif

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

August 12 2017, 8:34 PM 

Kevin , i think it is very easy to blame the coach when things are not going well . Someone says Leaning "might" have nailed a few sixes . Plunkett as pinch hitter "might" have done a mini Ronchi . On the other hand he might have swung and missed half a dozen balls rather as he did yesterday . And then we would have had a go at Gale for sending him in when clearly it was a bad idea.
Also , a lot of negatives for the coach for players out of form . No praise for Ballance regaining his form or Coad coming to the fore in the CC . Or the fact that Patto is now a half decent T20 bowler when previously he was easy meat in this format ?

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Aug 12, 2017 8:44 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 12 2017, 8:58 PM 

Well Gary, if it was Gale directing operations rather than the captain, then maybe he was to blame for not sending in big hitters to bat with Marsh and try to accelerate beyond 200. Against Lancashire, we saw Bresnan in a really determined mood and I would not want off field direction with either bowling or batting choices and certainly Gale would be last person I would go to for advice! He never impressed me with his on field leadership and I cannot see him being any different operating as our so called "coach". We have failed in all three competitions this season and change in off field management is needed to bring about improvement. We have the players to do it (with one or two exceptions) but there is something lacking in terms of cohesive team performance.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

August 12 2017, 9:28 PM 

Against Lancashire we also failed to post the score we should have done but the bowlers - the same bowlers as today - saved the day. Bresnan today went for 11 off the first over which set the tone for the Leicester innings . I do not understand how the coach is to blame for that .
Rashid struck at 150+ today so his promotion in the order was hardly a failure . Willey was at 69 by the way ..

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 12 2017, 9:31 PM 

Well said Alibor, I personally do not feel that Gale and Pyrah are the men to take a club of this stature forward. I also hope you had a fine eightieth!

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 12 2017, 9:34 PM 

I hope i'm as shrewd as Alibor at 80!

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

August 12 2017, 9:37 PM 

So , in short , if Andrew Gale was not the coach then Lees and Lyth would now be pushing 1000 runs each . Our 3 overseas signing would not all have been relative failures . Rashid , in his 6 games would have taken 30 plus wickets @ 19 instead of 9 @ 50 . Brooks would be bowling like he did when same Andrew Gale was leading us to 2 titles .. and perhaps Siddy would not have got injured .

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 12 2017, 9:39 PM 

Well it's no secret that Lees and Rashid are hardly favourites of Gale, so possibly..

(Login Fozzie1973)

August 12 2017, 9:46 PM 

The simple fact is Gale should never have been given the job, now he does not seem to be willing to take any blame for the mess we are in, his line about telling his out of form batsman to see a psychologist certainly did not fill me with any confidence in the job he's doing

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

August 12 2017, 9:47 PM 

Am i misunderstanding ? Lees made a pair against Essex because Gale does not "favour" him in some way ?

And Rashid was promoted in the order today not because Gale had faith in him but because he wanted him to fail ?

Oh , and presumably it is also Gale's fault that Bresnan who looked like a number 5 batsman at the end of last season now can't buy a run ? Bresnan his brother in law so probably "favoured"

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Aug 12, 2017 9:56 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 12 2017, 9:54 PM 

Tactically inept i'd suggest. Having Rashid and Marsh batting together at the end you're reducing your max score potential. Yes the hitters could have failed and we only make 175. But long term it's the better strategy.

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 12 2017, 9:55 PM 

Well I don't think we would have lost 3 Championship games in a row. Gale's success as a captain who was in a gradual decline himself, does not translate to his role as a coach. I feel that perhaps it would have been better to have recruited an outside party, someone not affiliated with the club. The players also need to shoulder their share of the blame for some truly unacceptable performances.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

August 12 2017, 10:12 PM 

and i think Rashid , with a strike rate of 150 today , should have come in above those big hitters Willey an Sarfraz who struck at 69 and 50 . Obviously the coach should have realised this and changed the batting order accordingly .

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 12 2017, 10:44 PM 

Sarfraz isn't a big hitter and i've already said him and Marsh shouldn't be batting together.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Hindsight

August 13 2017, 8:35 AM 

Of course the batsmen who didn't get a look in would of course have turned the game. Every armchair coach knows that!

Credit where it's due he's now a fabulous catcher and has turned himself into an excellent fielder this season, credit to the coaches, but if anybody had any great confidence in Leaning's batting he wouldn't be hidden away after these particular overseas.

Not quite sure how the coach is to know that Marsh, who usually lasts a couple of overs, would end up batting through to the end. He batted very well with a decent strike rate but we know he isn't the ideal finisher.

The fact is they got off to a flyer, we didn't bowl as well as we could and we didn't score enough runs.

Result, they won, we lost, get over it.

There are two teams involved, we have no god given right to win every match, and the result of every match is not just down to the ineptitude or otherwise of a coach you may or may not like.

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Qualification

August 13 2017, 9:52 AM 

In the T20 competition teams on equal points are determined by;

1. Net run rate
2. Results between the tied teams
3. Drawing lots.

Seems highly unlikely that 2 and 3 will ever be required.

In the One Day Cup the number of wins is the first determining factor. Possibly different in T20 because all the teams don't play against each equally.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

August 13 2017, 10:18 AM 

One or two references to Sarfraz imply disappointment with his contribution.
I'll be explicit. He doesn't look fit. His keeping has been poor. His batting a liability. A waste. Hodd should have been playing.
A waste of money.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk