<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: T20 Blast | Leicestershire vs Yorkshire at Grace Road (Match Thread)

August 13 2017, 11:05 AM 

I agree. Thank goodness it's Marsh who is staying on, this one just didn't work out.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

August 13 2017, 12:15 PM 

I agree with Gary.

I felt that I had to post after reading all these posts that attack the coach. Andrew Gale can only do so much it is down to all players to implement what he has done with them.
How can the coach be held 100 percent responsible for what happens on the field of play.
The coach cannot influence how the batsman plays the next ball, how the bowler bowls or if a fielder messes up.
The coach can help improve a players skillset but the players are responsible for how they play.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

August 13 2017, 12:17 PM 

I get a bit annoyed with current cricketing jargon and I preferred it when batsmen made the right choice of shot, rather than "getting their thinking processes right" and when they bowled or batted well, rather than "executing their skills", but never has there been a better example of "lack of energy at the crease" than Sarfraz in these T20 games. In fact, Marsh and Sarfraz created something like an energy-free zone against Lancs. They were jogging one run where Root and Bairstow would have been looking for three.

Pauld
(Login pdowgill)

August 13 2017, 12:46 PM 

Gary/Gavin - if the coach has so little impact as you are suggesting - what about Gillespie? If we take football as an example - 2 years ago Chelsea players 'gave up' on Mourinho, in comes Conte and with almost the same squad wins the title...Of course the coach has an impact, otherwise why does every sport have them - they are responsible for setting the tone, game plan, mental state of the players as well as focusing on traditional aspects of coaching...problem is YCCC believing someone who was a less than average county batsmen and captain can become a great coach without any experience it beggars belief. FWITIW my view is there is something not right in the dressing room and that is down to the coach.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 13 2017, 1:28 PM 

"less than average county batsmen and captain"

The stats may prove the 1st half of that statement is correct.

They also prove that the second assertion is nonsense.

I do agree that the coach sets the tone, the ethos, the approch and the attitude and there is obviously something wrong there.

The problem with promoting from within is that a previously good employee can become a liability when promoted above their current ability and experience.

If you were gale would you have refused the job? of course not.

Th eproblem lies with those who made the appointment. Now they have to cast aside a previously committed employee in what becomes, effectively, a public shaming.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

August 13 2017, 4:49 PM 

I never said that the coach has little impact.
I said that the coach can only do so much and the players are responsible for what happens on the field of play.

If what the majority are saying about Gale being 100 percent responsible for the result then why didn't any of you praise Gale for winning against Lancashire.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

August 13 2017, 5:01 PM 

Gales career average of 36 suggests calling him a below average batsman is harsh. Career average of 34 for Stoneman suggests such generalisations are difficult to sustain. Gale wasn't below average when he hit 1000 runs in a season. Stoneman hasn't been below average for the last four or five years.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 13 2017, 5:05 PM 

Gavin, the players have received plenty of stick on here.

Joanne
(Login joannelc22)

Blame

August 13 2017, 5:52 PM 

As your all playing the blame game try the ECB as they have half the team playing for England and not their county and the county side have to use the players they have left and some are not as seasoned as the likes of Root etc

steve
(Login stevebluejay)

August 13 2017, 6:05 PM 

i'll throw my two penneth into the Gale debate.

For me the players and Gale and also Moxon have received plenty on praise on here over the past three years and now are kopping some stick and rightly so.

Gale isn't the only man culpable for this seasons showing, but as the leader at the helm, he has to made made accountable for this seasons so far debacle as do the players and also the people at the top who appointed him and oversee recruitment.

When Gillespie left and a thorough search was undertaken for his replacement, was Gale the best man for the job, or the cheapest or the easiest option, whatever it was it so far hasn't worked.

At the end of the season when a review should take place by the powers that be, will the squad of 20 plus players all have their contracts ripped up if they haven't performed or will it possibly be the coach who carries the can? I know what usually happens in football and cricket is and should be no different.

We live in a results industry and Gale rightly enjoyed the plaudits for the back to back title wins, so now he should be under the scrutiny as the coach, as should Bresnan as captain while Ballance is away.

The overseas recruitments have failed and seem haphazard at the best of times. People who don't want us to go the kolpak route maybe need to look at the alternatives while England cherry pick our players and we then rarely see them and then the cameos when they do perform are hit and miss. We aren't producing the conveyor belt of talent that we maybe did in the past and even if we still do, England will take them away if they're rally good, if Coad is the next one and with Ryan retiring where does that leave our bowling next season?

Gale talked the talk prior to the Essex game at Scarborough, saying in the YP that Essex would be feeling the pressure at the top and could they handle it, like we used to. Well they did and then some, he seems to have talked a bit this season and him and the club haven't backed it up.

We have been maddeningly inconsistent in the T20 as this past couple of games have proved and our Championship form has just been awful most of the season. Even in the RL we messed up when given the opportunity of a bye to the semi.

His appointment with no experience seemed like a real risk at the time and now the club will have to decide at the end of the season whether to continue with him learning on the job or cut ties and look for someone with a bit more experience and maybe no ties to start with a clean slate.

The whole club deserve the criticism that goes with the performances this season snd if Gale is given another season to prove himself then he is a very lucky chap indeed. The same can be said for plenty of the players, but it is a rather more expensive thing to rip up their contracts and also replace a lot of them.

Mind you, i sometimes wonder if the club aren't more interested in whether or not i turn up for the international games at Headingley, as i get frequent emails advising me on the availability of tickets for the one day and test match that they have for the season. I am and always have been, a Yorkshire supporter first followed by an England one and the way the ECB is run and the permanent inconsistency of player availability, England are a distant second.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 13 2017, 6:42 PM 

The dresing room should be unhappy given the results.

The question is which came first?

Poor results producing an unhappy dresing room or an unhappy dressing room producing poor results?

As ever it will be a combination of the two. Niggles,cliques and irritations tend to diminish when you're winning.

They tend to get magnified when you are losing.

Whatever the causes everybody involved needs to clear the air and work together for the greater good.

That's Gale's biggest job at the moment, to unify the squad to produce the form and skills we have seen in the past.

If he can't do that then he's not the man for the job.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

August 13 2017, 7:54 PM 

Gale didn't get the job of coach because he was the cheapest candidate he got it because he was the continuity candidate. Once Moxon decided that Yorkshire needed to keep the Gillespie way in order to be successful Gale was the obvious choice. However as has now been proved the Gillespie way without Gillespie running it doesn't work.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

August 13 2017, 8:33 PM 

The team that Yorkshire are taking to the field in this years Blast (containing no fewer than seven current or former internationals) should have already qualified for the knockout stages by now.

Gale's average of 36 in domestic red ball cricket means nothing when he no coaching experience and less international experience than most of the playing squad. Realistically what can the likes of Marsh, Sarfaraz, Willey, Plunkett and Rashid can learn from a county plodder in terms of experiences and skill set?

It's ironic for the Yorkshire directors to behave like an international setup in terms of commercial activity, but don't replicate this when it comes to the coaching side.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 13 2017, 9:03 PM 

Pyrahtechnics wrote: "It's ironic for the Yorkshire directors to behave like an international setup in terms of commercial activity, but don't replicate this when it comes to the coaching side."

We're not the only big Test ground county with this problem. Looking around the web and speaking to them at games, Lancs, Warwickshire and Surrey supporters also have similar concerns, that their clubs are more concerned about the commercial side than being a successful cricket club.

This message has been edited by twelthman on Aug 13, 2017 9:05 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 13 2017, 11:43 PM 

Unfortunately I think they have to worry about the commercial side first, else there might not be a cricket club to worry about...

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

August 14 2017, 12:50 PM 

To return to the match thread for a while: I was at both the Lancs and Leicester games. The highs and lows of T20 cricket within 24 hours you might think. Yet our "lows" this season have been nothing in comparison to those we witnessed for the first ten years of this competition.Friday night was just a fantastic t20 exhibition and that last over of Bresnans will stay with me for a long time.Leicester was a bit of a Roses hangover. Didnt play too badly but i do thing we made some costly mistakes.The obvious one talked about at the ground, as on here,was pushing Rash up in front of the "hitters".To be fair he batted very well but in the death overs we maybe ought to have targeted clearing the very short boundary, not gap hitting the admittedly huge other side boundary. Had Rash's innings started and finished 5 overs sooner he would have been lauded.As our innings closed I felt we finished 15 runs or so short of what we should have scored and might probably need on the day.
K-Cadmore looks better and better. Shame he didnt get into his stride earlier in the competition. He played some majestic shots.He will be a real asset in seasons to come.Sadly Adam got out early to an Adam shot of old- not enough bottom hand on the slice over point.But Ronchi was the star, a belting innings which had Leicester in the driving seat throughout our defence.Another good game to watch but we were always just underperforming, especially when compared to the evening before.
As for the coach and T20...well i prefer watching this T20 team that he coaches to watching the one that he played in.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 14 2017, 10:43 PM 

I think that's a fair point. If you look at our results from 2017 and 2016 in detail, it seems fairly clear that overall we have got better- in 2017 we have won 5 games by 19 runs, had 5 close games where the winning margin was fewer than 6 runs/ balls (losing them all) and had no heavy defeats, whereas last year we won won two matches by 15 runs or more, had 7 matches where the margin was fewer than 6 runs/balls (winning 4), and were beaten by 25 runs or more twice. In other words this season we've been dominant in 50% of our matches, 50% have been close and none have been heavy defeats; last season we were dominant in 25% of matches, 58% were close and 17% of matches were heavy defeats. The difference is just that we've been unable to win the close matches this year and thus have not transferred this increased dominance into better results- down to poor late innings hitting and poor death bowling?

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

August 14 2017, 11:41 PM 

I think though that sometimes teams pace their innings so well that although it looks close, in reality it is not so . For example we lost to Leicester in the last over but i would suggest that we all knew we were going to lose once the required rate was under about 8.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk