<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: T20 North Group run-in

August 19 2017, 9:10 AM 

Like I have said before t20, fun and exciting as it is beats little resemblance to proper cricket.

Its clear that we have spent a lot of time and effort to improve at this game....but at what cost? We have neglected training and reparations for the real game.

Take Adam lyth for example...he has become one of the best t20 players in the game yet cannot even partake in a 50 opening stand in the real game

Yet dispute all our efforts we fail to qualify which supports my statement that t20 is 80% luck

Essex on the other hand seem to have gone the other way....completely failed in t20 yet riding high as the champions elect in the proper game

When we were winning titles members complained about the lack of effort given to the shorter version of the game.

Well dunno about you guys but I know I preferred a team dominating fcc to one doing well in the circus

T20 is to cricket what table tennis is to lawn tennis....nobody complains though that Andy Murray is crap at table tennis.

Don't get me wrong, love to see us doing well in the circus but lets now concentrate on the real game

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

August 19 2017, 9:27 AM 

I find it astonishing that attitudes like the one above still exist. This was the attitude when T20 first began, but the game has evolved into a highly skilled, Exciting format, which for one thing has transformed fielding in all forms of the game. If you don't like it, just ignore it.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 19 2017, 9:41 AM 

He writes the same nonsense every year but tweaked slightly.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 19 2017, 9:56 AM 

Howden - at least your overseas players contributed to your cause, and you did have 3 in Maclaren, Vilas & Khan. Our three combined contributed zero to our cause - in fact we probably would have got more from 3 of our own playing instead of them. Hodd would not have missed 6 chances and any of our second team batsmen would have contributed more with the bat and scored their runs quicker.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 19, 2017 9:59 AM

Papag
(Login Papag1)

August 19 2017, 10:35 AM 

The real objection to the circus is that it has taken away vast amounts of real cricket time in the summer months which is what we have always paid our memberships for long before 20/20, think we will have only had 2 days real cricket in the last 2 months until we play again and have now 18 days to wait for the CC to recommence for us in early Sept. We all know the need for income but we have to strike the correct balance not just play the ECB /Skys tune / demands for the quick buck . This year I have probably attended around 2/3 days 20/20 games which last 3 hrs a time a couple of RL fixtures and weather permitting due to the scheduling around 4/5 days of CC cricket. Our memberships cost for me and my good lady is terrible value and we will become from now on paying customers. Unforeseen consequences maybe in the dash for cash or they knew this and decided its worth the risk who knows, the spring and early autumn scheduling should be re examined immediately but not holding out any hope at all.

PS agree with the tennis /table tennis analogy

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 19 2017, 11:28 AM 

"Its clear that we have spent a lot of time and effort to improve at this game....but at what cost? We have neglected training and reparations for the real game".

Have you any evidence to back this up? We played NINE Championship matches before our first T20, we also signed an Overseas batsman suited to the longer format.

Yorkyspur78
(Login Yorkyspur78)

August 19 2017, 11:58 AM 

The stupid one run defeat at Durham is what cost us qualifying for the quarter finals.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 19 2017, 12:13 PM 

Sadly predictable outcome last night, but it's our own fault for losing to very average Derbyshire, Durham and Leicestershire sides. With five current and three former internationals, our squad is up there with the strongest in the competition as we showed in certain performances, and failing to even make it to the quarter finals with this group of players is a shocking effort. I don't think the coaching staff can take too much credit for the inspired performances from Lyth and Willey which single-handedly won us games: where they make the difference is by ensuring that players turn up for the game the day after the big Roses match; by ensuring the team deliver consistency of performance; by making sure the team is well-drilled and well-led enough to be able to come out on top in close situations. In all of these respects we have failed again this year, while the players identified as overseas reinforcements have again largely disappointed. I'm not laying the blame for this all at Gale's door, but while Yorkshire's performance in T20 have improved somewhat over the last couple of years, I think we are still massively underachieving given the squad of players at our disposal.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 19 2017, 12:13 PM 

We have not won a single "away" match this T20 campaign.

We have also lost every match that has been tight and gone to the last over - if we were batting we could not get the relatively small nr. of runs needed, and if the opposition were batting chasing a similar small nr. of runs they always got them. Fine margins and normally in tight matches it works out 50/50, but it was 100% against us.

We also have had a very minimal contribution from our overseas players, possibly even a negative contribution when your overseas player misses 6 chances in three matches.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 19 2017, 12:26 PM 

T20 North Group run in
August 19 2017 at 11:55 AM Peter Ringout (Login cla14881)

The brilliance of our home form cannot mask that :-
We do not win tight matches.
We do not win away from home.
We do not win chasing.
This suggests mental deficiencies, which need to be addressed.

Moved from another thread with same name.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 19 2017, 12:38 PM 

Seadog, I never said I didn't like it, I like playing roulette too but accept it is a game of chance.

Who would you say has the better cricket team? Leics who beat notts yesterday and yet are once again bottom of the second division or essex second from bottom in the t20 but about to be crowned county champions?

T20 is a great leveller than virtually any team can win but the county championship can only be won by the better teams.

Dwight just cos you disagree with me does not make my opinion nonsense

I have many friends who think the entire game is nonsense but although of course I disagree with them I do not accuse them of spouting nonsense

This forum like many others have differing members with differing views all should be respected.

Test match cricket has less than 20 years of life left, county cricket is also on life support...how long before its next of kin (t20) decides to turn the life support off.

Sorry if you think I am talking nonsense....but take a look at the facts...here we are in the middle of August and in the last 30 days we have had 2 days of so called first class cricket and no more till september

So please excuse me mourning the game I grew up with

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Aug 19, 2017 12:50 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 19 2017, 12:45 PM 

Notts have won the 50 over competition, will win the Division Two CC by a country mile, and quite possibly also win the T20 comp this year. They are a vg side in two competitions, but only very lucky in the T20??

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 19 2017, 12:57 PM 

....but yet came rank bottom of the first division less than a year ago

Just highlights the difference between the 2 divisions

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Aug 19, 2017 1:00 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk