<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

Re: September

August 15 2017, 11:59 AM 

Been lucky enough to see almost all the YCCC cricket this summer. Nothing to do with the fixture list, just one of the few benefits of redundancy.Probably try and eek out the season before the workhouse beckons...
More seriously, the lack of good cricket(any format) at weekends has always annoyed me.No disrespect to our retired members but its a great shame that the average age of spectators at county cricket is 70 plus. Theres a big year gap between giving up playing-say 40 for most-and retirement age.In a cricket daft county like Yorkshire (700 clubs) thats a hell of a lot of interested cricket people being all but excluded.
As for September i like the early starts and the weather is often much nicer than expected. The block of T20 does put you out of kilter for the championship though.I keep having to look at the fixture list again and again to get my head round it and plan watching.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

August 15 2017, 1:12 PM 

It does seem odd for no domestic cricket to be played on a weekend in September, especially when folk will have used up their annual leave. Though I do quite like cricket being played for most of September when the weather is still useable and generally better than in April.

With the new City Based T20 tournament, the ECB could host limited overs internationals in the 2nd half of September (or even 1st week of October) to extend the international home summer.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

August 15 2017, 1:26 PM 

In all fairness September is usually one of the best months weather wise, certainly more reliable than May and June. The weekend point is a good one - I'd like a day at both The Oval and Chelmsford (I work in London), but can't spare the time off due to other commitments.

Yorkyspur78
(Login Yorkyspur78)

August 15 2017, 2:30 PM 

As a Yorkshire fan living in London I always book 2 week's off work in September to head up to Yorkshire and watch some cricket as the weather does seem decent

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

August 16 2017, 9:03 AM 

I am in your situation, but with 8 days CC cricket being played by YCCC in or within 45 minutes of London in September, I'm staying put!

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 16 2017, 9:12 AM 

I've managed two days of Yorkshire cricket and the ODI in May experiencing the highs of a Roses t20 win and the lows of the first day v Essex....

But yes the fixtures being a shambles hadn't helped my planning

(Login dpressed)

August 16 2017, 7:04 PM 

For years I've been banging the drum about the fixture list.

In the 1970s there were matches starting on Saturday & Sunday League games so if the weather looked fair non regulars would check to see if Yorkshire were playing. It's these occasionals who get converted to members. Nowadays many members have 'trouble' remembering when we've a home match (I nearly missed one) so none regulars don't have a hope. As a result County membership is ageing. Even if they don't kill the Championship in 10-20 years there won't be anyone left to watch it

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk