<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

September

August 14 2017 at 12:44 PM
Steve C  (Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Can anyone explain to me the logic of having four County games in September - none of which have any play at a weekend...?
Given that there are no one day games planned for that time - couldn't they all have included Saturday and/or Sunday play...?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dave
(Login rognumber)

Re: September

August 14 2017, 12:50 PM 

Excellent question !
The only ( illogical ) response I have is at least it gives us something to talk about on this Forum !

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 14 2017, 1:29 PM 

Agree Steve - it would have made sense, but as I have said on many occasions in the past, when has sense and the ECB ever gone hand in hand. Common sense is the last thing on their mind when compiling the fixtures, as evident very clearly on 5 or 6 occasions already this season.

What an excellent climax to the season it would have made, the 2nd last and last day of the CC season on Saturday & Sunday.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 14, 2017 1:36 PM

Papag
(Login Papag1)

August 14 2017, 3:44 PM 

Sorry cant understand that or virtually anything else this season, it just hasn't happened for me cold weather early on when the real cricket is played, no doubt cold wet and windy in Sept with a 2 day CC match in the middle for which I was going for the last 2 days instead i walked around Scarbro like a lost sole reminiscing and wondering what the hell is going on with our game. Doubt very much if full membership will ever again be even considered for me or my good lady . Gutted

Nigel W
(Login NorthRiding)

September

August 14 2017, 5:28 PM 

Thankfully I missed the recent debacle at Scarborough due to a family holiday. However, I have spent the whole season wondering what is happening to the first class county game. I've been a member of YCCC for 26 years and have long accepted that as I work full time and live about 60 miles from both Headingley and Scarborough that I will not see enough cricket to cover the cost of membership. I accept that this is my choice. However, this season's crazy scheduling has meant I have only seen 1 days cricket. I don't personally enjoy T20, although I accept that it attracts a large audience, and therefore needs a place. But does it have to fill a large part of the Summer to the exclusion of the first class game? Come September, why preclude members who work from enjoying county cricket by removing Saturday and Sunday play? I don't think my grumble is unreasonable, but the powers that be at the ECB don't seem to be interested in the views or needs of members or genuine cricket lovers. The whole domestic structure seems to have been sold to the highest bidder, and the ECB has sold its own soul on the alter of franchised T20, together with innumerable ODI's and T20 internationals. Still I suppose my £205 subs aren't going to amount to anything as far as Messers Harrison, Strauss and Graves are concerned, so I may as well stop ranting and go away. Very reluctantly I think this will be my last year as a member.

(Login dpressed)

August 14 2017, 7:10 PM 

The last weekend first team cricket in Yorkshire was the first day of the Essex game. Basically they are doing everything they can to stop anyouy who works watching cricket.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

August 14 2017, 8:16 PM 

Dear North Riding

I empathise with your heartfelt cry; the 2017 schedule of fixtures has seemed particularly perverse. Like you, I am no fan of T20, but recognise that it has its followers and they have a legitimate place. I know of long-standing YCCC members who will have seen no county cricket of any sort for over two months when Yorkshire play their next Championship fixture on September 5. In fact, I was talking on the telephone to one such, only yesterday. We have enjoyed each other's company, watching YCCC, at Headingley (and in many other places) for over 20 years. Now in his seventies, he feels that he can only get to the Headingley fixtures, as he gets a lift from Sheffield (he does not drive himself). Whilst he attends 50-over games, the journey from Sheffield and back (at night-time) for T20 is not an attractive proposition. This season, with the reduction of Championship fixtures, only 5 games have been played at Headingley. For him, what was once a significant part of his summer-time existence, has been reduced to a maximum of 20 days and in reality (due to early finishes and inevitable time lost to weather and light) rather less. In addition, the introduction of the day/night fixture was an unwelcome development for many older members, living in more distant areas. He feels pretty fed-up, and like you suggested that he would not be renewing his membership. That might just be frustration leading to rejection and he might change his mind when the renewal pack arrives through his letter-box. I understand his and your positions, but I hope that he continues his membership; I would miss him tremendously and we only see each other at Headingley these days.

I fully understand that County Cricket is not financially viable of itself, but it is a sporting expression of the nation's historical development. Of course, "Money talks, but it don't sing and dance and it don't walk" and it seems as though the interests of members are being over-looked in search of crowds. How long before the First Class game is abandoned at County level? What a loss that would be to the cultural life of the nation. "As long as I can have you here with me I'd much rather be forever in blue jeans". Perhaps it is only lovers who are prepared to dress down for each other. As to the future, it worries me that "the king has no clothes" at all, and when the masses realise that they are being sold an inferior product, which excites, but cannot inspire affection, let alone genuine love, they will walk away and the kingdom will, shorn of its essential dignity and replaced with barbaric slogging, become a once-great but deserted remnant. I am not convinced that those who have control of the game at national and county levels truly know and understand the forces with which they are dealing. More worryingly, I am not sure that they care. In business the bottom line lies in the profit margin. Love, affection, nurture and preservation of quality do not come into it.

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on Aug 14, 2017 8:26 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Afraid of football!

August 14 2017, 9:07 PM 

Could it be that whoever was doing the fixtures thought they were doing everyone a favour by leaving the weekends to football.

It's the only reason I can come up with.

Being retired myself I don't particularly mind and if I'm not going to watch at least I know that R5SX will probably have some cricket on midweek to listen to.

Weekends it will be football, or more annoyingly talk, talk, talk, and more talk about B***** premiership football.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

August 14 2017, 9:18 PM 

I haven't looked but when is T20 finals day? - that might be the reason for the scheduling of the weekend free championship games in Sept? Mon start so finish Thurs therefore time to prepare before finals day and start Tues in case rain takes finals day into finals weekend.

Agree about the fixture list but there is cricket out there! I've had great fun watching 2nds eleven games at Pudsey, Worksop,York and Alverston CC (near Derby) in the last month plus the England under 19s at Chesterfield, all of which were free.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 14 2017, 9:27 PM 

Finals day is 2nd of September.

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Fawlty Towers - ECB version

August 14 2017, 10:28 PM 

As a transplanted Yorkshireman and avid cricket fan living in Halifax, Canada, I admit to being a little detached from the shenanigans of the ECB. However, I must say that I consider the ECB to be one of the most incompetent sports government bodies in any of the myriad of sports I follow on a regular basis. It's as if they deliberately set out on a day-to-day mission to sell the sport down the river, while diminishing the County Championship in particular.

The fixture list is seemingly randomly assembled by a Basil Fawlty wannabe for the maximum contempt of cricket fans - with long breaks in the championship schedule which destroys interest and the momentum a good title race generates.

Playing 50% of Championship matches in the dodgy weather months of April and September with no weekend days in September when most of us have used up our holiday allotments also suggests that the Dunning-Kruger syndrome is endemic in the ECB bunker. And I won’t go on about demoting 25% of the teams each season in sport significantly impacted by the vagaries of the weather - all in a truncated 14-match season.

The seemingly arbitrary decisions as to which contracted players get to turn out for their home teams, further diminishes all three domestic competitions. This was perhaps best illustrated last year when an exciting Championship race came down to the final match of the season between Yorkshire and Middlesex. A wonderful chance to promote the 4-day game? Not to the ECB braintrust, who decided to “rest” Yorkshire’s two world class batsmen - neither who had played during the previous two weeks and despite the fact that our overseas player and a top batsmen had been press-ganged back to Oz. The result was a show case opportunity lost and essentially handing the title to Middlesex.

To be continued.
""

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 14 2017, 10:49 PM 

The fixture list hasn't worked out too well for me this summer, either. Working full-time but living in Leeds, I generally go to most home T20s and as many 50 over and Championship matches that fall on weekends as I can, but due to various reasons (lack of cricket at weekends, poor weather, three home T20s falling in the week I was on holiday) so far this season I have made only one RL50 match, one day of Championship cricket and 2 home T20s. Northants on Thursday will be the last day of cricket I'll be able to attend this summer- and it doesn't even feel like the season has got started...

Geoff Hall
(Login geoffinfrance)

Lack of Weekend Cricket

August 14 2017, 10:54 PM 

As I understand it there are two reasons why championship matches are not being played at weekends.
First, the counties don't want it - they can not sell corporate packages when businessmen are not at work.
Secondly, the ECB accept that amateur cricketers play at weekends and so can not attend county matches at the same time. This is a bit of a nonsense as they can not attend in mid-week because of work commitments.
Geoff

R
(Login Roundhegian)

August 14 2017, 10:55 PM 

As it is, the season ends on Thursday 28 September.
If the suggestion of playing the last four CC matches at a weekend was adopted with Friday starts, the season would end four days later on Monday 2 October.

NigelW
(Login NorthRiding)

September

August 15 2017, 12:04 AM 

Thanks Brickyard Boy for the supportive comment. It's so sad for the genuine cricket lover whether working or retired that the game is being carved up by commercial business interests. Obviously the ECB needs to attract sponsorship and investment. In short it obviously needs to market forms of the game that bring in big money. However, if in doing this they compromise the integrity of the first class game they risk killing the competition itself. I seriously wonder if there will be any county cricket left to watch by the time I retire. Could it be that if the ECB didn't need the first class game to 'feed' Team England' they would have abolished the domestic first class structure by now. And do they care about the spectator? I would suggest only if that spectator is attending regular T20 games or buying a Sky subscription.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 15 2017, 6:42 AM 

As a club cricketer who works full time, I find it incredibly frustrating when Sunday comes along and there is no Yorkshire cricket to watch, particularly on a nice day like the Sunday just gone. Admittedly the team's performances this season have made the fact that I will not see any more live cricket this year a little easier to accept, but still, that is beside the point. If there had been the option to go and watch part of our last four matches on a Sunday I would have taken it.

Even a couple more T20s on a Sunday instead of Thursday and Wednesday "school" nights would have been something.

This message has been edited by twelthman on Aug 15, 2017 6:49 AM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

No flexibility

August 15 2017, 8:23 AM 

I think the competitive season goes on too long and there are far too many blank days in it for cricket supporters.

A couple of T20 double headers for each team and playing all the quarter-finals on the same day would be a good start to help squeeze thing up a bit.

Cricket in early April/Late September should be restricted to friendlies.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 15 2017, 9:38 AM 

Cricket at the end of September is as daft as football in mid august

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 15 2017, 9:46 AM 

If all 18 counties played every week, we would not need to play at the end of September. That would only need 14 weeks for the CC, leaving ample time between mid-April and mid-September for the 50 over and 20 over competitions to be blocked. One early season and one in July/early August.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 15 2017, 10:27 AM 

I've been strangely disconnected from the cricket season this year.
I simply haven't been able to get to games - and on two occasions (Scarborough and Lords) when i'd planned days at the cricket there turned out to be no play...

This long break for T20 simply doesn't work for me.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk