<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2nd X1 v Durham

August 16 2017 at 11:25 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Worrying figures for Brooks - 14 overs 63-0, against a second team on a usually bowler friendly wicket. Where have the previous seasons performances gone? In the long term looks like a pace attack next season of Willey, Fisher, Coad & Bresnan.

http://www.totalcricketscorer.com/TCSLive/TCSScorecard.aspx?id=62446

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: 2nd X1 v Durham

August 16 2017, 12:11 PM 

More importantly, Ballance playing

marsker
(Login marskeman)

August 16 2017, 12:31 PM 

chester le street is like headingley, used to be bowler friendley but is now a decent batting pitch. Lees continues to score loads of runs against second team bowlers but ca,nt buy a run in the first team.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 16 2017, 1:04 PM 

That is my point Marsker. Several players look a million dollars playing in the second team but struggle when in the first team, but Jack can not seem to even get wickets in the second team. Just how far backwards has he gone this season?

I watched him in a second team match at York two or three weeks ago, and he looked the least likely, of the 6 or 7 bowlers used, to get wickets and looked the less threatening of them all.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 16, 2017 1:08 PM

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

August 16 2017, 1:55 PM 

Another clue that team atmosphere in the first eleven is the issue for Lees.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 16 2017, 2:14 PM 

One hesitates to write off a player who has been so successful, but Jack has been awful this season. At Scarborough he was our worst bowler by a mile, going at 5 per over in bowler-friendly conditions, although he did take wickets, two of them with rank long-hops.

He seems to have lost the yard of pace that Ben Coad has gained; he has also lost his swagger. When a fast bowler gets past 30 you always ask the question - permanent decline or just a temporary blip?

For next season, we definitely need Plunkett, fit and firing and available. Bresnan is now bowling better than he has for a while, and we've always got Patto to rely upon. Can't see Willey ever making it in Championship cricket.

Plunkett, Coad, Fisher, Bresnan + Patterson for me. Plus Brooks, of course, if he comes through this.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 16 2017, 2:36 PM 

DaveM. Willey is a like for like replacement for Siddy (but no where near as good), that is why I was suggesting him as a replacement next season. Otherwise you have no variety in the pace attack. Plunkett seems to be either injured or away with England, so would not be available as often as Willey, who I think is now out of Englands plans.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 16, 2017 2:38 PM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 16 2017, 2:49 PM 

Plunkett may or may not be part of England's white-ball plans next season. Willey gives us left-arm variety, but no more pace than anyone else, and no swing nor accuracy either! A fit Plunkett remains one of the quickest bowlers in England, in or out of the International team.

The other player with real pace is young Jared Warner, and I still have hopes that he will be the next success off the production line.

Warner, or Fisher, or a Kolpak, even one as good as Morkel? For me, it's the Yorkshire lad every time.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

August 16 2017, 6:05 PM 

A certain G Onions is also struggling in this game. He's around the same age as Brooks but a better bowler. It catches up with most of them in the end.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

August 17 2017, 8:25 AM 

You say that Coad has gained a yard in pace but the speed gun(if you trust it) o Sky in a couple of games this season had him as late 70's mph. Didn't get above 80 once. Willey has shown to be quicker at 82/83 mph

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk