<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: T20 Blast | Yorkshire vs Northamptonshire at Leeds (Match Thread)

August 17 2017, 9:37 PM 

Can we loan Adam and rafa to Durham or words tomorrow?

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 17 2017, 9:39 PM 

Tough call for man of the match, but I would have to go with Bresnan.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 17 2017, 9:39 PM 

Now we sit and wait 24 hours!!

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 17 2017, 9:49 PM 

If it rains everywhere tomorrow, we will not qualify.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Ray of Sunshine

August 17 2017, 10:04 PM 

Thanks for that Alibor!

Where there's life there's hope as they say.

Wish we didn't need so many things to go our way but I shall watch the Rugby and take no notice of the cricket until it's all over.

Good luck to Notts, Lancs, Durham and Worc, though I don't mind of Derbyshire win as we don't need to finish second.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 17 2017, 10:18 PM 

What a night!! CAS win the LLS.

Lancashire beat Warwickshire and we qualify, assuming Notts beat Leics. The other results do not matter as our RR is better than many of the other sides with 15 points.

kirkstallion
(Login Kirkstallion)

August 17 2017, 10:31 PM 

Whatever happens tomorrow that was a fantastic performance as so many have been at headingley this year- records smashed aplenty. Can I also remind you that a couple of years ago Lyth wasn't even in our 2020 team- behind Gale and Lees- bonkers considering he is also our best fielder.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Double accounting

August 17 2017, 10:35 PM 

Come on Stu, you claimed the LLS last week.

We let Trinity win last week to try get an all Yorkshire top four. Daryl didn't get the memo obviously.

Hope the forecast for Old Trafford is wrong for tomorrow.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

well

August 17 2017, 10:35 PM 

Blimey.
That was quite a night!
It will be a while before Adam plays as well as that again...

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 17 2017, 10:42 PM 

Absolutely sensational from Lyth tonight. He just hit the ball so cleanly- very little by way of slogging or premeditated shots, he just timed the ball into the gaps. When he plays well he makes batting look as easy as anyone I have seen, and I doubt he's ever played as well as he did tonight: it was a real pleasure and privilege to be there to watch him. Kohler-Cadmore and Willey also bristled with power and intent and were excellent foils; I'm very encouraged with what I've seen from TKC in the last few matches, while Willey has had a phenomenal year with the bat in his own right. I felt a bit for Sanderson for his awful figures, but Northants in the field were an absolute shambles.

Rossington and Levi (who looks bigger than ever but is also striking it as well as ever) connected with some meaty blows early on, but Rafiq, who always seems to be some much more effective when the batsmen are coming at him, pulled it round brilliantly, with Rashid and Patto wrapping up the tail.

No doubt results will go against us tomorrow and we'll not make it out of the group, but at least we kept our side of the bargain and put on a fantastic show tonight. A word for Andy Fogarty too: he's prepared some cracking pitches for limited overs cricket in the past couple of seasons, which Yorkshire clearly enjoy playing on as the 11/12 T20 wins shows, and the crowds clearly love watching the high-scoring cricket the pitches facilitate, as the excellent attendance tonight and indeed all season showed.

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

August 17 2017, 10:42 PM 

If we don't qualify we can only blame ourselves I think. On paper we have one of the best teams in this tournament but for whatever reason we couldn't turn up away from home and we completely bottled the week we lost 3 in a row.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 17 2017, 11:01 PM 

Geoff - hope Leeds win tomorrow to keep the Lanky sides out of the top 4. Cas, Leeds, Hull & Wakefield in that order will suit me.

Finger, toes and everything crossed tomorrow that results go our way. The last thing we want is 4 rained off matches.

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

August 18 2017, 3:00 AM 

Great win by the team. Congratulations to Lyth and Rafiq for very special performances.
And since no-one else has mentioned it, well done Andrew Gale, great coaching.

GG68
(Login GG68)

T20 Blast

August 18 2017, 11:08 AM 

Can someone explain the logic of playing 14 games in a 9 team league. Wouldn't seem any extra effort to organise two extra games so every team plays the others both home and away. You could end up with a situation where the two top teams only have to play each other once.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

qualification

August 18 2017, 12:23 PM 

There's no actual LOGIC to it; merely a way of reducing matches. And there is precedent: for years the (then) 17 Counties played 28 3-day games in the County Championship. Four of the teams you played only once, for the same reasons.

Trying to make sense of the qualification situation... Of all the teams on 15 points, Yorkshire have much the best run-rate difference, so the others will have to beat 15 to qualify.

Derbys 15 v Worcs 7 - if Derbys win they go ahead of Yorkshire. Washout or tie, same thing.

Lancs 13 v Warwicks 15 - a Lancs win would put them ahead of Warwicks but not ahead of Yorkshire. A Warwicks win would put them above Yorkshire, as would a washout.

Northants 14 v Durham 2 - a Northants win would put them above us. A washout would not.

Notts 18 v Leics 15 - Notts already qualified as winners. A Leics win, or a washout, would put them above Yorkshire.

So, if I've got this right, and ignoring washouts for the minute, we need no more than TWO of Derbys, Warwicks, Northants and Leics to win tonight.

With T20, the maths is more fun than the cricket!

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

August 18 2017, 12:34 PM 

"With T20, the maths is more fun than the cricket!"

I take it you didn't watch Adam Lyth bat last night then, Dave?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 18 2017, 1:14 PM 

I did watch last night, switching back and forth between that and the not-very-interesting Test. Adam Lyth's innings was fun, and he slogs less than most in T20, but his innings was nothing like as satisfying to watch as some of his FC efforts down the years.

There is little room for grace and beauty in T20, with bat or ball. There are other elements, which do make it interesting, but the balance is skewed, compared with real cricket.

In my opinion, of course.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 18 2017, 2:17 PM 

Yes I agree

A bit like football rules changing to prohibit goalkeepers from handling the ball and doing away with the offside rule...sure you would get many more goals...would that male for a more exciting game? Not at all it would end up being farcical

Who on earth would want to watch man city beat man Utd 44-39?

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 18 2017, 3:03 PM 

And this is the way it seems to be going

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40974447

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 18 2017, 9:10 PM 

Much easier to score a Championship ton. Best knock of his career lastnight.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk