<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1st Test | England vs West Indies at Edgbaston (Match Thread)

August 17 2017 at 6:40 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Aug 17-21, 2017 - 1st Test at Edgbaston, Birmingham (day/night)

ENGLAND: Cook, Stoneman, Malan, Westley, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Woakes, Roland-Jones, Broad

WEST INDIES TBA

Live Scorecard
Edgbaston Weather

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: 1st Test | England vs West Indies at Edgbaston (Match Thread)

August 17 2017, 9:17 AM 

I'm not sure that XI is correct - it was announced yesterday that Woakes and Crane miss out, so Anderson is in.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 17 2017, 9:38 AM 

The team (in batting order) was announced yesterday.

Cook, Stoneman, Westley, Root, Malan, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Roland-Jones, Broad, Anderson.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

August 17 2017, 10:23 AM 

You would feel that this series should be a routine win, anything else would be a disaster for England before and ashes series.

In the wider context of test cricket though I hope the Windies put up a bit of a fight.

(Login matthefish2002)

August 17 2017, 10:35 AM 

Would call myself a traditionalist but interested to see how the day / night experiment works.

Really hope the West Indies are stronger then predicted.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

August 17 2017, 11:09 AM 

According to Root, Woakes not fully fit for a Test Match (by which I assume he means "match fit"). Why is he in the squad then? Logically if Anderson or Broad pulls up, they would have to go outside of the squad for a replacement.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

August 17 2017, 11:23 AM 

I think the West Indian pace attack could be a handful. They won't score enough runs though.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 17 2017, 3:20 PM 

Looks like business as usual for England. The would-be back in the pavilion, the meat of the batting order now at the wicket. Looks like 500 plus to me.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 17 2017, 4:23 PM 

Just a random thought: Is Ben Stokes turning into Vincent Van Gogh?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Lights on

August 17 2017, 6:20 PM 

If the ball does nothing when the lights go on then the Windies are in deep doh dah.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 17 2017, 9:29 PM 

The Windies are in deep doh dah.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 17 2017, 10:31 PM 

Worryingly (for Stokes), I can see what you're getting at there Brian...

Very strong day for England. I can see this series being a bit one-sided; hopefully not too much so, we want 4 days of good crowds at Headingley!

(Login matthefish2002)

August 18 2017, 9:15 AM 

Being an England supporter I am glad we are in a strong position but really fear for West Indies as a test nation. This has been going on far more then a couple of years now.
I can remember as a school kid watching on TV the West Indies wipe the floor with England with some great players. So sad to see how they are now.

Expect England to 3-0 but really, really hope they are more of a contest.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 18 2017, 9:50 AM 

Remember being in Barbados 8 years ago when England scored over 600 declared but then West Indies went beyond 700. Maybe they will discover a new Lara or Seirwan or Chanderpaul from the youngsters they are now playing but the greater worry is their failure to discover (or persuade to play) any really quality fast bowlers which has been their tradition over post war decades. I am surprised they have not included their best spinners in this test/tour. Will provide useful experience for their younger players.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 18 2017, 12:42 PM 

I was at that game in Barbados - was it really 8 years ago! - probably the most boring game of cricket ever played, on the dullest pitch. Awful stuff, with virtually no support for the home team.

The big names were all around - the Garfield Sobers Pavilion; the Hall & Griffith stand; the Three Ws stand; even the Tony Cozier media centre - the nonentities were the players in the middle. Windies were hopeless, and they won that series!

They're not going to win this one, though. They'll be lucky to finish second. And the absent players - Gayle, Narine and the Bravo bros - would make little difference.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 18 2017, 1:30 PM 

One thing about the WI fielding that struck me is that players in what should be run-saving positions were still conceding singles. Allied to the number of boundaries they gave away, that is a killer.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 19 2017, 4:09 PM 

Surely time now for a two Division test match competition with WI, SL, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Ireland & Afghanistan in Division Two, and the other 6 in Division 1.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 19 2017, 5:04 PM 

Think I would prefer 3 leagues of 4 with each side playing a series both home and away against the other 3 over a 2 or 3 year period with the team finishing 4th being relegated and the top team being promoted and the winners of div 1 being declared the champion test team

Think we need that to keep non ashes series well supported

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 19 2017, 5:13 PM 

I was also thinking of promotion and relegation after all teams have played a home and away series against every other team (maybe every 3 or 4 years).

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 19 2017, 5:21 PM 

Would we still have space for the ashes should the sides be in different leagues?

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk