<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Fenner Trophy

August 19 2017 at 10:02 AM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

It's times like this when we could do with a bit of cricket on the side.

Wish Scarborough CC and Welcome to Yorkshire could organise something for this time of year to make up for the loss of the two Yorkshire 50 over games.

Lots of excellent cricketers around with little to do over the next couple of weeks.

I think my first visit to Scarborough CC when I moved here was to watch the Fenner Trophy, Ward Cup, Asda challenge or whatever it was called that year.

Pity everything is so centrally controlled nowadays.

Dragging my memory I vaguely remember going to Harrogate to watch a game sponsored by a steel company!

Can somebody with a more organised memory help me out on that one!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Big Rich
(Login Newyorkie)

Re: Fenner Trophy

August 19 2017, 10:18 AM 

I didn't go but 'Tilcon Trophy' springs to mind.

(Login Roundhegian)

August 19 2017, 10:28 AM 

A competition that began as the Fenner Trophy but later got other sponsors was played at Scarborough between 1971 and 1989.
Similarly, the Tilcon Trophy was played at Harrogate starting in 1976. It too later changed sponsors and continued till 1998.
According to posts on the cricket247 site which are not guaranteed accurate.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 19 2017, 12:22 PM 

I remember a game at the Fenner's ground in Hull, between Manchester Schools under 15s (Atherton, Speak, Mark Crawley and Yates) and Humberside (Mark Robinson).

Green pitch, some officious umpiring (Robinson was given an official warning for running on the pitch in the first over of the match!), Manchester early collapse before Yates-led recovery, and eventually a Manchester victory. Good day's cricket.

Atherton's wonderful career is well documented, and Robinson is a World Cup winner, which not many can claim! Crawley left Notts to pursue a 'career in the city' (whatever that means), Nick Speak lives in New Zealand, I think, and Gary Yates is still on the Lancs CCC coaching staff. They were a great bunch of kids, back then.

How many of these well maintained works grounds still exist? Not many, I would think.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 19 2017, 1:22 PM 

With a bit of planning with dates etc, we could still have a Scarborough Festival.

Why not around this time each year a "Fenner" Trophy comp. from 4 sides not in the Quarter-Finals of the T20 comp., followed by a 4 day CC match, then the ECB North Yorkshire Premier League T20 Finals day. Throw in a couple of Ladies T20 matches and perhaps an MCC v the tourists match and Scarborough could make a two week festival out of it.

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

August 19 2017, 1:45 PM 

It was indeed the Tilcon Trophy at Harrogate. Used to get decent crowds as well

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Memory jogger

August 19 2017, 4:43 PM 

Tilcon trophy, thanks for that.

Don't think we have anybody with the muscle or inclination to sponsor any serious cricket in this part of the world unfortunately.

I've nothing against the current Scarborough cricket President, but a Don Robinson he isn't.

The Festival is now and is likely to remain just the later of the 2 scheduled CC matches allocated to Scarborough.

CricketWanderer
(Login CricketWanderer)

August 20 2017, 11:00 AM 

Stu, I think your ideas are very worthy.

Unfortunately though the cricketing public are very fickle these days - I am sure that 60 years ago they would have turned out in thousands to see the MCC v tourists at Scarborough but not any more. In fact I believe that was a contributory factor to the shrinking of the Festival - people stopped coming in numbers to matches that didn't involve Yorkshire.

In 2011 Scarborough hosted an England Lions game in August. They put in a lot of effort and even had stalls, etc., but the turnout was abysmal.

That's not to say that the ground isn't worth using for matches such as that - it very much is - but don't expect the public to support them.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk