<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Regarding Yorkshire T20 comments.

August 19 2017 at 12:12 PM
Gavin Gray  (Login yorkie1863)

I have read on here several comments basically having a go at the team and the coach about failing to qualify. It needs pointing out that we had 3 matches heavily affected by rain 2 abandoned and 1 where we only had 8overs to bat. Leics, Derbys and Birmingham only had 1 affected by weather.
These 3 teams that stopped us from qualifying also lost 5 matches. So the weather had a huge affect on our competition.

All contributing factors need thinking about before posting negative comments about the team or the coach. If the team or an individual plays appallingly then they deserve the negative comments. Which in this competition was not the case.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Regarding Yorkshire T20 comments.

August 19 2017, 12:34 PM 

I do take your point Gavin, but (from another thread) we did not win away from home, we lost every tight close match, we lost every match chasing and we got no contribution from our overseas players.

We do still have problems and the above points need addressing. With the players we had available we SHOULD have qualified, so something has gone wrong somewhere.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 19 2017, 12:54 PM 

Only 3 points we got away from home those weather affected matches.

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 19 2017, 1:18 PM 

Just removing those tinted spectacles for a moment Gavin, the fact is that our record away from home has been dire. Towards the latter end we simply lost our nerve, irrespective of the weather. We've been poor on all three fronts this season and it's simply not good enough for a club of this size.

Lew
(Login Lewis116)

August 19 2017, 1:35 PM 

Not sure I see your point. Equally it could be possible we would have lost those rained off games and had no points as opposed to the ones we got.

Look, lets be clear - it eould be bizarre if anyone called for the coaches head. This is a long term project and Gale needs time.

That said, that T20 squad especially has some real quality in it. There really is no excuse to not having qualified.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 19 2017, 3:49 PM 

We are certainly not a poor team...having performed above average in all 3 competitions

Qualified for q/finals in rl cup - most other teams did not

Won more games than lost in t20

Even in real cricket we are closer to second from top than second from bottom

We have fallen a little but still above average if only just!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 19 2017, 4:05 PM 

We have regressed in all 3 tournaments this year compared to last season, a long way in 1 of them.

Jay
(Login overman8)

August 19 2017, 4:23 PM 

Above average sounds right Peter, may as well settle for mediocrity then.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 19 2017, 4:51 PM 

Stu, you really are a glass half empty man aren't you?

Sure we failed to win away...but we still won more than we lost with the best home record in the league

We lost when chasing....but still managed to set formidable totals when batting first

...and yes we lost all the tight matches but still won more than we lost...and all by a country mile!

....and all this with a misfiring overseas player....now imagine how good we would have been if we had a half decent contribution from sarfraz? Would surely have turned those narrow defeats into wins.

This message has been edited by Blackpooltyke on Aug 19, 2017 4:53 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 19 2017, 5:01 PM 

Facts Peter.

Last season - Semi of the 50. This season only the quarters.

Last season - Finals day in the T20. This season not even qualified for the quarters.

Last season. - 3rd in the CC. This season unlikely to finish higher than 6th.

Not a question of glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty, we have gone backwards this season.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 19, 2017 5:04 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

I've enjoyed it anyway.

August 19 2017, 5:07 PM 

Well the one day stuff is finished now for us.

I'm sorry how it ended up but overall but I've enjoyed the matches I've either been to or seen on TV.

I don't remember any of the abject, amateurish performances of previous years and I think the team has improved and been very positive.

We did leave a few runs on the field when batting first a few times, but hopefully the record score of Thursday night will give us more confidence in that department.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 19 2017, 5:11 PM 

Agreed we have gone backwards this season....but still performing better than most

Its the nature of sport to go forward and to go backwards....take a look at the current champions.

We cannot keep improving year after year...we still have the best record bar none in the last 5 years of proper cricket and a reasonable performance in the shorter versions

Life would be awfully boring if we won all 3 tournaments every year....lets give others their time at the top too.

We are still not a bad side....and I wonder if billy failed deliberately yesterday to keep us away from finals day

54 off 24
(Login 54off24)

August 19 2017, 5:14 PM 

Let's get real here

We were beaten by a worldy from Hales in one innings and a really good innings from Ronchi in another.

How often did they repeat that against other teams?

Without those 2 outstanding performances we would have been top.

It's fine margins gentlemen and certainly (imho) does not indicate we had a poor campaign.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 19 2017, 5:23 PM 

Agreed. Well said 54 off 24 (sorry don't know your name

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 19 2017, 5:29 PM 

That's like saying without our outstanding individual performances we would have been bottom.

Anyone describing our season as above average over all comps is simply wrong.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 19 2017, 5:34 PM 

Why?

Is winning 6 and losing 5 above or below average

In the rl cup 8 teams advanced to the quarters including us...10 teams failed

We are nearer second from top than second from bottom

Dwight, do you understand what the word average means?

Its not an opinion its a mathematical fact

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 19 2017, 5:41 PM 

Even if we ignore expectations when describing sporting performances you're still wrong.

5th of 9 teams is average.

5th of 8 is below average.

54 off 24
(Login 54off24)

August 19 2017, 5:47 PM 

Dwight, you're not even half full / half empty are you, no-one has even put a drop in the glass for you yet?

Yes we had some outstanding performances for us, Lyth's effort in the final game was also a wordly.

What I was trying to point out is that in both those games we'd got to a position that in most cases would guarantee the points. Against us Hales had a worldy, against Leicestershire last night he didn't. We lost by a bit, Leicestershire won by a bit - reverse that and we qualify - [edit] hence fine margins.

Can you really say our performance against Notts was a poor one?

This message has been edited by 54off24 on Aug 19, 2017 5:48 PM

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

August 19 2017, 6:16 PM 

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact definition of average or any other such talk, it's not really relevant. Better to look at the most important question, where we good enough to qualify?

Clearly not, it doesn't really matter if we are 3/5, 5/8 or home form is xyz. Its all a means to an end.

I wonder what the clubs target in 20/20 was this year?

(Login Fozzie1973)

August 19 2017, 6:16 PM 

The simple fact is we did not have the bottle when the going got tough, I was at the Derbyshire away game & if we'd have used our brains we'd have milked Tahir's last over for singles & won the game, instead Handscomb threw his wicket away with a dumb shot & then we lost Leaning in the same over

The Durham away game was a shambles too, we should have chased that target easily

I'd describe the campaign as average at best, it's all well & good bullying teams & winning those games easily, but to lose 5 out of 5 of games that were close would indicate the team were lacking something

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk