<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

So then..

August 19 2017 at 12:14 PM
Steve C  (Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

What now...?
Is there anything left to play for.......?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

Re: So then..

August 19 2017, 12:21 PM 

Well being optimistic there is still the possibility of the championship.
We still have 4 matches so 96 points possible and would get us to 199 points in the table so it's possible to win the championship so I say to the team go for it.

And before you all start I know it's very unlikely.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 19 2017, 12:21 PM 

Try and avoid relegation, which at the moment looks a real possibility.

Middlesex next, who just recently have a great record against us.

Then Surrey on the "oval road" against one of the best batting sides in the country. Can not see a win there.

Next up, Warwickshire, which is now a "must win" match and we end up at Essex against the potential Champions.

A very tough run-in, plus no Rashid, Plunkett & Willey in addition to Root & Bairstow for the last 3 matches.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 19 2017, 12:34 PM 

Doing the arithmetic....

One win and a couple of high scoring draws would push us up to around 145 or 150 points, even if we lost the other one.

Somerset would then need around 70 points from their last 5 games to overtake us. It would be a good idea not to lose to Middlesex, too.

Squeaky-bum time. Where's David Wainwright?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

August 19 2017, 12:43 PM 

From a purely selfish point of view, our enforced break coincides nicely with a two week holiday in a non-cricket playing country. However, come September I'll optimistically predict a couple of wins and a mid-table finish. Some kind of boot camp in the wilderness might be in order to thrash out any real or imagined dressing room issues! Our seconds should have a strong looking batting line up over the next fortnight as well.

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

August 22 2017, 12:01 PM 

Whilst I may have egg on face come 28th September, I very much doubt that a team which already has three wins to its credit will end up being relegated.

Four more drawn games should take the team to around 140+ points. Yes, a game might be lost, but also one might be won.

Whilst points totals are going to vary from one season to another, last season 156 points was enough to keep a team in the first division, but remember, this year there are two fewer games so the total required is going to be lower.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

August 22 2017, 12:49 PM 

I think relegation is very much a possibility. I honestly can't see where the wins are going to come from. Middlesex have got a hold on us so that's a guaranteed defeat. Surrey and Essex will beat us.
Only chance we have of a win is against Warwickshire who I might add have started to show two things that we don't have
Fight and passion

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

August 22 2017, 12:51 PM 

There is no such thing as a "guaranteed defeat".

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

August 22 2017, 1:22 PM 

It might rain.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk